Thread: Barack Obama will give convention speech at stadium

Default Barack Obama will give convention speech at stadium

Obama will accept the Democratic nomination at Denver's Invesco field -- which can hold over 75,000.

"The Democratic Party is nominating a true change candidate this August, and it is only fitting that we make some big changes in how we put on the Convention," DNC Chairman Howard Dean says. "By bringing the last night of the Convention out to the people, we will be able to showcase Barack Obama's positive, people-centered vision for our country in a big way."

"Barack Obama's campaign for change has inspired millions of Americans and brought people into the political process who might never have been involved," said Convention Co-Chair Kansas Governor Kathleen Sebelius. "This change in the Convention program will allow thousands of first-time participants a chance to take part. I can't think of a better Convention finale for our nominee who has made reaching out to voters a hallmark of his campaign."

"Senator Obama and the DNCC have truly brought the community into the Convention," said Colorado Governor Bill Ritter, Jr. "This decision will enable thousands of residents from Colorado, the Rocky Mountain West and across the nation to witness history first hand. What a way to fire up our grassroots activists as we head into the fall campaign."

Rumors of the switch surfaced on Thursday.

The move from the Pepsi Center convention hall means "accepting the party's designation, historic as it may be, will not be the central focus of his remarks," The Nation says. "Rather, Obama will be putting the convention -- and the Democratic party -- behind him as he launches . . . outreach to Americans who don't usually vote and Americans who don't usually vote Democratic."

It's Official: Obama Will Give Convention Speech At Stadium - Politics on The Huffington Post

A Nuremberg rally of our very own.......GO DEMS!!!

the fact that it will be the 45th anniversary of the MLK speech is totally trying to co-opt a historic event......and force a comparison.....pretty tasteless imo

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post

the fact that it will be the 45th anniversary of the MLK speech is totally trying to co-opt a historic event......and force a comparison.....pretty tasteless imo
    Personally, I think its pretty tasteless that you would compare Obama and Democrats to Nazis.

And there is no 'force' about it. Barack didn't pick the convention date to occur on MLK's anniversary. And remember the 75,000+ people who turned out to see him speak in Oregon?

It just makes sense from a security and crowd control aspect. Just picture that mass of people outside the convention, and all the scheming and fights that would be bypassed by holding the event in a larger venue that could better accommodate those numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Calimoonchild View Post
    Personally, I think its pretty tasteless that you would compare Obama and Democrats to Nazis.
    I actually compared the 'rally' to Nuremberg, not Obama or the Democrats on a personal level.

My exact quote was:

If you object to the Nazi comparison, any of these will do- North Korea's Pyongyang rallies, or the pro -Mugabe Zanu party rallies, or the Mao 'little red book' rallies. The Nuremberg rally is just the best known

I don't care who you support, a large scale political rally- even under the guise of a nomination acceptance is something to be feared, not welcomed.

Just because you may agree with a political party's stances on issues doesn't mean it's benign or has the people's best interests at heart, the vibe that comes out of any large political mob meeting frightens me. Large scale propaganda is what I see, and it would frighten me if it was Dems, Repubs, Green's- whomever.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

I want to see a green rally.. all that hemp clothing and tofu dogs
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

you could always attend Burning Man.....mmmm, patchouli oil and dirty feet...sexy

That's where i got the picture of the burka babies in their sparkly pink burkas
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

dreaming about being on a lake in Ontario

Come on, I'm sure McCain could attract ..................500 or so.
    If I can't be a good example, then let me be a horrible warning.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    I don't care who you support, a large scale political rally- even under the guise of a nomination acceptance is something to be feared, not welcomed.
    I agree - I don't like 'em at all either - it always makes me feel like I'm being manipulated.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    I want to see a green rally.. all that hemp clothing and tofu dogs
    Unfortunately, Phish is no longer on tour ... god I miss them.

Thread Information