Thread: Republicans facing massive losses in congress

Thumbs up Republicans facing massive losses in congress

Republicans are bracing for double-digit losses in the House and the prospect of four or five losses in the Senate, as they fight to hold a wide range of districts and states normally seen as safe for them, from Alaska and Colorado to Mississippi and North Carolina.

The feared setback for Republicans, coming two years after their 2006 drubbing, is unusual for several reasons. It is rare for a party to lose two election cycles in a row. And many expect losses even if their presidential candidate, John McCain, captures the White House....

"It's like 2006 never ended for Republicans," said Jennifer Duffy, of the nonpartisan Cook Political Report, which predicts Democratic gains of 10 to 20 seats in the House and four to seven in the Senate....

The dynamics at work: voters' sharply negative views of President Bush and dismal feelings about the direction of the country, including rising oil and gas prices, a weak economy and fallout from the housing crisis. Even though Congress continues to register low approval ratings, voters overall appear to prefer putting Democrats in charge....

Sen. John Ensign of Nevada, who is heading Senate Republicans' re-election effort, recently told the Las Vegas Review-Journal that it would be "a great night" if his party can hold Democratic pickups in the Senate to three or four seats in November.

Republicans Gird for Big Losses in Congress - WSJ.com
    Sweet.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

If they actually counted all the votes, the losses for the GOP would be even more devastating.

And when the country goes to hell in a hand basket- more so than it is now, I'll sit back and laugh.

A dem controlled congress can't get shit done now. All the grand promises Pelosi made... where's my cheaper gas, Nancy????

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have. ~Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by tkdgirl View Post

A dem controlled congress can't get shit done now. All the grand promises Pelosi made... where's my cheaper gas, Nancy????
    Yes, thank you...

What happened to the end of the war Nancy?

Do Americans really think that there's that big a difference between the two parties at this time in our history? It's such a fucking crock...

both do the same shit......and then blame the other party for doing it
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

^^ American politics needs an explosion of newness....

Obama is not the answer.

Nor is McCain.

And you're right. There really is no difference between the parties anymore, other than a few issues.

Quote Originally Posted by tkdgirl View Post
    And when the country goes to hell in a hand basket- more so than it is now, I'll sit back and laugh.

Might want to ask Bush, Cheney, Condoleezza, and all the others in the Bush Admin who sat as executives and advisors working for the oil companies. Chevron even named one of their oil tankers after Condoleezza.

Quote Originally Posted by lurkur View Post
    Might want to ask Bush, Cheney, Condoleezza, and all the others in the Bush Admin who sat as executives and advisors working for the oil companies. Chevron even named one of their oil tankers after Condoleezza.
    Ah, they never promised cheaper gas. And you should probably look at all the democrat members of congress who are huge share holders in oil companies. Al Gore was one of the biggest when he was VP. While you're at it, check out your 401k and see how many mutual funds have big oil in them.

^^No disagreement here about politicians with ties to oil companies. But Pelosi, a Representative elected from her home precinct, doesn't have the same leverage as a whole presidential administration of oil insiders and a host of private contracting companies (which also have adminstration members on their boards) wanting to ransack the candy store that is Iraq.

She is majority speaker. She has the most power of any person in Congress. More politicians making promises they can't keep.

Perhaps I'm jaded, but I really don't trust any of them.

^^^
    You do realize that the "do-nothing" Dems only hold the slimmest of majorities? Meaning that all of the significant bills they try to pass -- on Iraq, stem cell research, energy, the budget etc. -- are vetoed by Bush even if they pass both houses. Not enough Dems to override a veto. But when they try anyway, people like you will slam them for wasting everyone's time.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

Speaker of the House receives ONE vote. One vote of 435 in the House. Congress is made up of the House and Senate, which has 100 members. Congress is part of the 3 branches of government, the Legislative, the Executive, and the Judicial.

So powerwise, even as Speaker of the House, she is the equivalent to 1 vote out of 435, or 1/435ths. A regular old Senator has 1 vote out of 100, or 1/100.

Their relative "powers" are:

Speaker of the House: 1/435ths
    Senator: 1/100ths
    President: 1 (i.e., 435/435ths or 100/100ths)

Not to mention that since she sits in the Legislative branch, she can pass all the laws she wants, but it's up to the Executive branch (wow, the phrase "Bush Administration" keeps popping up oddly!!) to enforce the laws, which they do not when it does not suit them.

Not that I don't think Pelosi relinquished any political influence she may have had by rolling over playing dead against this shit. But there is no way you can blame Pelosi for gas prices when the real reason is because the Bush Administration has been using black crude as lube in a circle jerk with the oil tycoons.

Thread Information