Thread: Palestinians upset over Barack Obama's AIPAC speech

Default Palestinians upset over Barack Obama's AIPAC speech

Palestinian leaders reacted with anger and dismay on Wednesday to Barack Obama's pledge that Jerusalem should be Israel's undivided capital.

President Mahmoud Abbas rejected the U.S. presidential candidate's pledge to American Jewish leaders and he repeated his demand for a Palestinian state with Arab East Jerusalem as its capital.

"This statement is totally rejected," Abbas told reporters in the West Bank administrative centre of Ramallah.

"The whole world knows that East Jerusalem, holy Jerusalem, was occupied in 1967 and we will not accept a Palestinian state without having Jerusalem as the capital of a Palestinian state."

Abbas aide Saeb Erekat said Palestinian negotiators engaged in U.S.-sponsored peace talks would continue to insist on securing East Jerusalem, captured by Israel in 1967, as their capital. He said of Obama: "He has closed all doors to peace."

Obama, newly secure as the Democratic nominee for president, said in a speech in Washington: "Jerusalem will remain the capital of Israel, and it must remain undivided."

The U.S. Congress passed a law in 1995 describing Jerusalem as capital of Israel and saying it should not be divided, but successive presidents have used their foreign policy powers to maintain the U.S. embassy in Tel Aviv and to back negotiations between Israel and the Palestinians on the status of Jerusalem.

U.S. diplomats say that, despite the U.S. legislation, Washington's foreign policy is in practice broadly aligned with that of the United Nations and other major powers, which do not view Jerusalem as Israel's capital and do not recognise Israel's annexation of Arab East Jerusalem following the 1967 war.

The outgoing U.S. president, George W. Bush, has sponsored peace negotiations between Israel and the Palestinians in the hope of securing a deal on a Palestinian state before he leaves office in January. One of the thorniest issues is resolving the rival Israel and Palestinian demands on the future of Jerusalem.

DISAPPOINTED

Erekat, a Palestinian peace negotiator, said Abbas's administration was dismayed by Obama's endorsement of the Israeli claim: "We are very disappointed... He has failed to understand that without East Jerusalem as the capital of a Palestinian state there won't be peace with Israel."

Bush, whose Republican party has endorsed John McCain as its candidate, also disappointed many Palestinians during a visit to Israel last month. In strong terms, he assured the Jewish state of enduring U.S. support -- though he did not endorse Israel's demand to retain control of all Jerusalem as its capital.

In the Gaza Strip, where Abbas's Islamist rivals in the Hamas movement seized power a year ago, a Hamas spokesman also condemned Obama's stance on Jerusalem: "Obama's comments have confirmed there will be no change in the U.S. administration's policy on the Arab-Israeli conflict," Sami Abu Zuhri said.

"Hamas does not differentiate between the two presidential candidates, Obama and (Republican John) McCain, because their policies regarding the Arab-Israeli conflict are the same and are hostile to us."

Palestinians slam Obama on Jerusalem remark | Reuters

Hamas, now there's the voice of sanity
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Hamas is pissed at him, guess he's not a 'terrorist appeaser'

*smirk*
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Hamas is pissed at him, guess he's not a 'terrorist appeaser'

*smirk*
    Of course,

However, it does throw a monkey wrench in the ' change, because he will be viewed more favorably then our current gov by the middle east ' argument

There are groups that there is no pleasing.......The US will never be able to make certain people like or work with us.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

Somehow I think they'd be more amenable to Obama jaunting over than say, Bush. Bush is a known constant, Obama is not. They'd at least tentatively listen once. With Bush, doubtful.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Somehow I think they'd be more amenable to Obama jaunting over than say, Bush. Bush is a known constant, Obama is not. They'd at least tentatively listen once. With Bush, doubtful.
    But Bush is out......bye bye you bastard.

Al-Jazeera reports even harsher tones directed at Obama:

Arab leaders have reacted with anger and disbelief to an intensely pro-Israeli speech delivered by Barack Obama, the US Democratic presumptive presidential nominee.

Obama told the influential annual policy conference of the American Israel Public Affairs Council (Aipac): "Jerusalem will remain the capital of Israel and it must remain undivided."

His comments appalled Palestinians who see occupied East Jerusalem as part of a future Palestinian state

Saeb Erekat, the chief Palestinian negotiator, told Al Jazeera on Thursday: "This is the worst thing to happen to us since 1967 ... he has given ammunition to extremists across the region".

"What really disppoints me is that someone like Barack Obama, who runs a campaign on the theme of change - when it comes to Aipac and what's needed to be said differently about the Palestinian state, he fails."

"I say to Obama ... please stop being more Israeli than the Israelis themselves, leave the Israelis and Palestinians alone to make decisions required for peace."

Mahmoud Abbas, the Palestinian president, rejected the statement, saying: "We will not accept an independent Palestinian state without having Jerusalem as the capital.

"I believe that case is clear."

He said: "Jerusalem is part of the six points that are subjects on the negotiations' agenda.

"And the whole world knows that East Jerusalem, Arab Jerusalem and Holy Jerusalem were occupied in 1967."

'Hope slashed'

Sami Abu Zuhri, a spokesman for Hamas, the largest Palestinian resistance group, also condemned the speech, saying on Thursday: "These statements slash any hope of any change in the American foreign policy.

"[They] assure that there is a total agreement between the two parties, the Democratic and the Republican, on support for the Israeli occupation at the expense of the rights of Arabs and Palestinian interests."

The ancient city of Jerusalem is divided into East and West. Israel captured East Jerusalem in the 1967 war and unilaterally annexed it, in a move condemned by the United Nations as illegal.
    Jerusalem's status as part of Israel is not internationally recognised and remains a central issue in peace negotiations.

'Unbreakable bond'

Obama, hours after securing his party's nomination on Wednesday, had gone on to say the US bond with Israel was "unbreakable today, unbreakable tomorrow, unbreakable for ever" and drew a standing ovation.

He told the gathering of one of US politics' most influential lobbying groups that, as president, he would "never compromise when it comes to Israel's security."

He also said any deal between Israelis and Palestinians should preserve Israel's identity as a Jewish state and that Hamas should be isolated and pledged to approve $30bn in aid to Israel over the next 10 years.
    'Impressive speech'

Ehud Olmert, Israel's prime minister, called the Illinois senator's speech "very impressive".

"His words on Jerusalem were very moving," Olmert told reporters after meeting George Bush, the US president, at the White House.

The Illinois senator's comments come a day after US media projected that Obama had enough delegates to win the Democratic nomination and face John McCain, the presumptive Republican candidate, in the November election.

Iranian 'threat'
    Obama also had harsh words for Iran, vowing to work to "eliminate" the threat it posed to security in the Middle East and around the globe.

"There's no greater threat to Israel or to the peace and stability of the region than Iran," he told the Aipac assembly.

Calling for "aggressive, principled diplomacy" with Tehran, he also warned he would never take the military option off the table in guaranteeing US and Israeli security.

Iranians responded cautiously, but optimisticly, with officials expressing hope he can bring about change in Iran-US relations.

Hamidreza Hajibabaee, member of Iranian parliament, said: "We hope that Obama turns his words into actions, helps the Islamic Republic of Iran believe that the US has given up enmity and paves the way for fair negotiations."

Al Jazeera English - News - Arabs Shocked By Obama Speech

They hate us, they hated us long before Bush, they'll hate us long after he's gone. It's about 65 years of hate directed at the US in that region, and no one man will change that fact. People like that can't live without someone to hate. It's a neccesary to some of them as air or water.

Well he also said a bunch of crap about NAFTA, but i doubt that'll change.

The middle east needs to take care of their own shit and grow up.

Thread Information