Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jimmy Carter tells Barack Obama not to pick Hillary Clinton as running mate

Default Jimmy Carter tells Barack Obama not to pick Hillary Clinton as running mate

Barack Obama should not pick Hillary Clinton as his vice-presidential nominee, former president Jimmy Carter has told the Guardian.
    "I think it would be the worst mistake that could be made," said Carter. "That would just accumulate the negative aspects of both candidates."
    Carter, who formally endorsed the Illinois senator last night, cited opinion polls showing 50% of US voters with a negative view of Clinton.
    In terms that might discomfort the Obama camp, he said: "If you take that 50% who just don't want to vote for Clinton and add it to whatever element there might be who don't think Obama is white enough or old enough or experienced enough or because he's got a middle name that sounds Arab, you could have the worst of both worlds."
    Carter, who insisted that he would have been equally against an Obama-Clinton pairing if the former first lady had won the nomination, made the remarks in an interview with the Guardian's Weekend magazine, to be published on Saturday. The interview was conducted before the final round of voting last night confirmed Obama as the party's presumptive nominee.
    The intervention of the former president - regarded as the senior elder of the Democratic party by some, and as a walking reminder of electoral failure by others - comes just as speculation of a joint Obama-Clinton ticket is building in the US. Lanny Davis, a close Clinton adviser and friend, has launched a petition drive and website - and written directly to Obama - urging him to appoint his defeated rival.

Link to this audio
    Hear Jimmy Carter discuss the presidential race with Jonathan Freedland
    Meanwhile, Bob Johnson, the Clinton backer and founder of Black Entertainment Television, has announced that he hopes to persuade the Congressional Black Caucus - the umbrella group for African-American members of Congress - to lobby for an Obama-Clinton partnership.
    Carter's remarks could slow that momentum, as they come from the only living Democrat to have won more than 50% of the popular vote in a presidential election, even though the former president, who left office in 1981, insisted he was "on the outside" and no longer had any role in internal Democratic affairs.
    His comments are likely to be seized on by those Democrats who privately argue that the combination of a black man and a woman on a ticket will represent more change than the US electorate can swallow in one go. This camp believes Obama needs to pick an experienced, white and probably southern man to "balance" the ticket.
    The former president said: "What he needs more than a southerner is a person who can compensate for his obvious potential defects, his youthfulness and his lack of long experience in military and international affairs."
    For that reason, Carter says he favours Sam Nunn, the former chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, who hails from his own state of Georgia. "That would be my preference, but there are other senior Democrats who would have similar credentials to Sam Nunn," he said.

US elections: Jimmy Carter tells Barack Obama not to pick Hillary Clinton as running mate | World news | guardian.co.uk

Well that'll leave a mark.

Shut the fuck up, Jimmy! As if anyone would take political advice from you.

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have. ~Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by tkdgirl View Post

Shut the fuck up, Jimmy! As if anyone would take political advice from you.
    Why wouldn't they?

Quote Originally Posted by mamaste View Post
    Why wouldn't they?
    He's a wonderful humanitarian but was an absolutely horrible President.

He's a wonderful humanitarian but was an absolutely horrible President.
    But his job as president has nothing to do with his abilities as a political strategist. Something he was actually good at. Carter knows more about politics than all of us combined. If I were Obama or Clinton or anyone running for office, I'd take his opinion over mine or yours or any of ours. His ability to win is documented. He's lost one election. There was a forced run-off for the gubernatorial race, but he won the run-off. Why not take his advice. He probably knows what he's talking about.

In any case, he wasn't entirely a bad president. He did bring about some progressive reforms that continue in this country today. He was also mostly well regarded as a GA senator and governor. The political "pop culture" view of Carter does differ from reality. He was certainly no worse than the current president.

The current president has been the worst one so far.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I see it from a personal perspective. All people, even politicians, have feelings too. There's a right way to do things and a wrong way. Granted Obama probably could have done things a better way, but the way Hillary has done things, I'd be bitter too. Yes politics is cut throat but still I would be too bitter and resentful to grant Hillary the V.P. spot.

Poor Carter. If people want advice on what nails to use in their deck, they'll ask for your opinion, otherwise, save it.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    The current president has been the worst one so far.
    Ha. History will prove you wrong, my friend.

Um, he said "so far". He left the possibility open for a worse president in the future.

Is Bush planning on burning all the history books?

Bush is the worst president we've ever had, hands down. When they build his presidential library, if its any bigger than an outhouse, I'm burning that shit down.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

How can a President who can't read a pre-school book get a library? Seriously, I think he should get a franchise of Auntie Anne's Pretzels and call it a day!!!!!!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Quote Originally Posted by SSDiva View Post
    How can a President who can't read a pre-school book get a library? Seriously, I think he should get a franchise of Auntie Anne's Pretzels and call it a day!!!!!!
    Best line of the day but I'm not sure he could handle twisting the dough into a pretzel....

Quote Originally Posted by lurkur View Post
    Is Bush planning on burning all the history books?
    You got that email too?

Carter has a point, though. I could see Hillary trying to control everything, and making things a lot worse. Not saying that's absolutely what would happen, but I really could see that happening. Remember when Bill was president? Whenever he'd propose an idea, he'd always run it by his wife, first. And if she didn't like it, then he'd change it until it met her standards. It was almost like having two presidents... and a lot of people don't want that, again. America just wants ONE person who's compitent enough to run the country. As for Bush, well... I don't think we could get much worse, to be honest.

I also don't think people should blame Carter for the problems we had in he 70s, either. It was all started by Nixon, if you can recall, maybe even as far back as L. Johnson. You try juggling an oil and hostage crisis, and see how easy it is, for you. :\

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information