Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Barack Obama lies about family's military service

Default Barack Obama lies about family's military service

LAS CRUCES, N.M. -- Despite not having served in the military himself, Barack Obama used his Memorial Day remarks to speak about his family’s service. “My grandfather marched in Patton’s army, but I cannot know what it is to walk into battle like so many of you,” he told a small group of veterans here. “My grandmother worked on a bomber assembly line, but I cannot know what it is for a family to sacrifice like so many of yours have.”

Obama said he supports the new GI Bill because of his grandfather’s experience in the program after World War II. “We should make sure that today’s veterans get the same benefit that my grandfather got when he came back from World War II,” Obama said. “It was a good investment not only for him, but it was a good investment for the country, built our middle class. So we're going to make sure that that gets passed.”

He said President Bush may veto the bill, but he vowed to try and override it if it comes back to the House and Senate.

Obama also spoke about his uncle, who was part of the American brigade that helped to liberate Auschwitz. He said the family legend is that, upon returning from war, his uncle spent six months in an attic. “Now obviously, something had really affected him deeply, but at that time there just weren’t the kinds of facilities to help somebody work through that kind of pain,” Obama said. “That’s why this idea of making sure that every single veteran, when they are discharged, are screened for post-traumatic stress disorder and given the mental health services that they need – that’s why it’s so important.”

Obama Talks of Family's Military Service - From The Road

Thats a great heartwarming story about his Uncle liberating Auschwitz......Perfect for using in a political speech on Memorial Day

The only little problem is that the Americans didn't liberate Auschwitz, that was the Soviets....
    Last edited by witchcurlgirl; May 27th, 2008 at 02:11 PM.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Yeah, wtf?

I was watching the History channel (this relates to the Spike Lee bitching at Clint Eastwood thread) about black combat units in Europe... they DID help liberate some of the concentration camps (and got recognized for it 60 freakin years later) but not auschwitz
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Oh brother.

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have. ~Thomas Jefferson

Well, clearly he has been lying about his family for quite some time...

My grandfather signed up for a war the day after Pearl Harbor was bombed, fought in
    Patton's army. He saw the dead and dying across the fields of Europe; he heard the stories
    of fellow troops who first entered Auschwitz and Treblinka. He fought in the name of a
    larger freedom, part of that arsenal of democracy that triumphed over evil, and he did not
    fight in vain. I don't oppose all wars.
    http://www.barackobama.com/pdf/warspeech.pdf

As someone has kindly posted all over the web today his Grandfathers record:

Dunham, Ralph E. Inducted 28 May 1942, Army 37203549 Registered, order # 1180 Mound City, Linn Co. (Board # 1)

Pearl Harbor was December 7, 1941.......and his granddad was 'inducted'- drafted...the link shows some men 'enlisted' and some were 'inducted'
    Database Results

To me, that is EVIL...taking some of the worst events in human history, and telling lies about them, to cast yourself in a good light......
    Last edited by witchcurlgirl; May 27th, 2008 at 03:18 PM.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

you know, I have to wonder..

If i was going to include things in my speech, I would make sure my research team dug up the records for each person I was going to mention to make sure the story is straight.

I mean.. that seems pretty basic to me..
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

It's on his website as wll...about Auschwitz and Treblinka..

If this was anyone else, people would be outraged by the boldness of lies like these.....

most people probably haven't caught on yet lol

someone needs a fact checker

Hit By Ban Bus!

Sorry, this was a genuine mistake. You know, kind of like calling people evil before they check their facts. His great uncle didn't help liberate Auschwitz...It was Buchenwald. Oooh, roast that black man.

Chicago Tribune

one of those, yeh.

so he didn't really LIE per se.. he just got the camps mixed up

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
    Sorry, this was a genuine mistake. You know, kind of like calling people evil before they check their facts. His great uncle didn't help liberate Auschwitz...It was Buchenwald. Oooh, roast that black man.

Chicago Tribune
    Thank you for putting that one to rest. We can toss this onto the pile of other OMG-I-CAUGHT-OBAMA-IN-A-LIE-WAIT-NOT-REALLY moments.

I'm so tired of this. We get it: some people spend all day and night surfing the internet for something substantially negative about Obama. He's been in the race for over a year and nothing has come up yet.

Well, if Obama is going to use his family history all the time, maybe he should have paid a little more attention to it.

All of a sudden, I'm reminded of Hillary's trip to Bosnia.

Surely he should suffer the same embarrassment that she did.

I don't care about the candidates, one way or the other, but fair's fair.

If he can't bother to research his own family properly, what are the chances of him researching actual issues correctly.
    "In an underdeveloped country don't drink the water. In a developed country don't breathe the air." - Jonathan Raban.

Quote Originally Posted by yanna View Post
    Well, if Obama is going to use his family history all the time, maybe he should have paid a little more attention to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by micashell View Post
    If he can't bother to research his own family properly, what are the chances of him researching actual issues correctly.
    I don't think anyone here can say what Obama's grandfather did and didn't tell him when he was a kid. What your grandfather tells you when you're a kid and what a historian may say about an event are two different things. I've encountered that when researching my own family history and family stories.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information