Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Barack Obama criticizes John McCain on Senate floor, McCain hits back hard

Default Barack Obama criticizes John McCain on Senate floor, McCain hits back hard

Jim Webb's GI Bill passed the Senate today with a bipartisan majority, 75-22. Clinton and Obama were both there, but McCain is in California today on the fundraising trail.

Obama used the opportunity to once again tie his rival to the president.

"I respect Sen. John McCain's service to our country," Obama said on the Senate floor this morning. "He is one of those heroes of which I speak. But I can't understand why he would line up behind the president in opposition to this GI Bill. I can't believe why he believes it is too generous to our veterans. I could not disagree with him and the president more on this issue."

The McCain campaign responded by issuing a sharply worded and lengthy statement in the senator's name. McCain notes his support for an alternative to the Webb measure, but points out his own military service and points out Obama's lack thereof.

"It is typical, but no less offensive that Sen. Obama uses the Senate floor to take cheap shots at an opponent and easy advantage of an issue he has less than zero understanding of," McCain said in the statement. "Let me say first in response to Sen. Obama, running for president is different than serving as president. The office comes with responsibilities so serious that the occupant can't always take the politically easy route without hurting the country he is sworn to defend. Unlike Sen. Obama, my admiration, respect and deep gratitude for America's veterans is something more than a convenient campaign pledge. I think I have earned the right to make that claim."

"When I was five years old, a car pulled up in front of our house in New London, Connecticut, and a Navy officer rolled down the window, and shouted at my father that the Japanese had bombed Pearl Harbor. My father immediately left for the submarine base where he was stationed. I rarely saw him again for four years. My grandfather, who commanded the fast carrier task force under Admiral Halsey, came home from the war exhausted from the burdens he had borne, and died the next day. I grew up in the Navy; served for twenty-two years as a naval officer; and, like Senator Webb, personally experienced the terrible costs war imposes on the veteran. The friendships I formed in war remain among the closest relationships in my life. The Navy is still the world I know best and love most. In Vietnam, where I formed the closest friendships of my life, some of those friends never came home to the country they loved so well.

"But I am running for the office of Commander-in-Chief. That is the highest privilege in this country, and it imposes the greatest responsibilities. It would be easier politically for me to have joined Senator Webb in offering his legislation. More importantly, I feel just as he does, that we owe veterans the respect and generosity of a great nation because no matter how generously we show our gratitude it will never compensate them fully for all the sacrifices they have borne on our behalf.

"Senators Graham, Burr and I have offered legislation that would provide veterans with a substantial increase in educational benefits. The bill we have sponsored would increase monthly education benefits to $1500; eliminate the $1200 enrollment fee; and offer a $1000 annually for books and supplies. Importantly, we would allow veterans to transfer those benefits to their spouses or dependent children or use a part of them to pay down existing student loans. We also increase benefits to the Guard and Reserve, and even more generously to those who serve in the Selected Reserve.

"I know that my friend and fellow veteran, Senator Jim Webb, an honorable man who takes his responsibility to veterans very seriously, has offered legislation with very generous benefits. I respect and admire his position, and I would never suggest that he has anything other than the best of intentions to honor the service of deserving veterans. Both Senator Webb and I are united in our deep appreciation for the men and women who risk their lives so that the rest of us may be secure in our freedom. And I take a backseat to no one in my affection, respect and devotion to veterans. And I will not accept from Senator Obama, who did not feel it was his responsibility to serve our country in uniform, any lectures on my regard for those who did.

"The most important difference between our two approaches is that Senator Webb offers veterans who served one enlistment the same benefits as those offered veterans who have re-enlisted several times. Our bill has a sliding scale that offers generous benefits to all veterans, but increases those benefits according to the veteran's length of service. I think it is important to do that because, otherwise, we will encourage more people to leave the military after they have completed one enlistment. At a time when the United States military is fighting in two wars, and as we finally are beginning the long overdue and very urgent necessity of increasing the size of the Army and Marine Corps, one study estimates that Senator Webb's bill will reduce retention rates by 16%.

"Most worrying to me, is that by hurting retention we will reduce the numbers of men and women who we train to become the backbone of all the services, the noncommissioned officer. In my life, I have learned more from noncommissioned officers I have known and served with than anyone else outside my family. And in combat, no one is more important to their soldiers, sailors, marines, and airmen, and to the officers who command them, than the sergeant and petty officer. They are very hard to replace. Encouraging people not to choose to become noncommissioned officers would hurt the military and our country very badly. As I said, the office of President, which I am seeking, is a great honor, indeed, but it imposes serious responsibilities. How faithfully the President discharges those responsibilities will determine whether he or she deserves the honor. I can only tell you I intend to deserve the honor if I am fo rtunate to receive it, even if it means I must take politically unpopular positions at times and disagree with people for whom I have the highest respect and affection.

"Perhaps, if Senator Obama would take the time and trouble to understand this issue he would learn to debate an honest disagreement respectfully. But, as he always does, he prefers impugning the motives of his opponent, and exploiting a thoughtful difference of opinion to advance his own ambitions. If that is how he would behave as President, the country would regret his election."

Jonathan Martin's Blog: Obama criticizes absent McCain on Senate floor, McCain hits back hard - Politico.com

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Yes, giving vets a college education after 4 tours is just the height of irreresponsibility isn't it? It's not like they gave life and limb to earn it.

McCombover is worried it would cost too much? Bitch please. It would take 3 months to pay it off. Also of note, shouldn't he have voted either way for this? Way to skip out.

If McSame really gave a fuck aout the military he probably wouldn't have voted to put them in harm's way for a bunch of lies, but hey.. SHhhh.. he was in vietnam.. everything is excusable.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I think he lays out his point well. He doesn't oppose benefits. He wants more benefits for re-enlisters, to give them more than one term soldiers. He wants to allow the GI to be able to transfer the benefits to a spouse or a child. He wants to increase the monthly benefit.

The Webb bill encourages people to leave early, not stay in as a career. It's a hard choice, because we should absolutely do more for our troops. But as Commander In Chief a leader's first obligation is to keep the nation safe, not score cheap political points. Voting for this bill would have earned McCain the cheap points, but he has a reason he feels the way he does, and he explained it clearly in his statements.

Everyone wants to increase GI benefits, but the Bill specifying how to do it was in question. Draft a bill that doesn't work as well, and then slam anyone who disagrees with the bill and throw out the 'not supporting the troops' rhetoric.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If the commander in chief wanted to keep the nation safe, he'd call the national guard home instead of having them fight a war based on lies for corporate profit.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

...the more Obama talks, the more likely I am to vote for McCain.....never thought I'd see the day I'd vote for a Republican for President.....

why would you vote for a continuation of the last 8 years.

why.

it makes no sense.

Look at the state of everything now. Why would you want that to continue? What possible reason is there for that?

it's like watching lemmings dive off a cliff.

Not that I'm voting McCain....

But Mccain is not Bush. That's the current Obama campaign talking point, but his long record shows it to be a fallacy. He breaks with Bush on tons of issues. His votes are there, in the public record.

Also, all Repubs are not Bush either. There are good politicians on that side. Just like the Dems, there's good and bad.

What happened here in the past 8 years is to my opinion a question of the individuals that were in charge, not the party.

McCain is currently politically pandering more to the right, because this is an election. But Obama is doing the same. This is what politicians do to get elected. The way they have voted tells you what you need to know about them, in spite of the speeches, commericials, OP-Ed's, etc.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

I hate them all.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

McCain has a pile of lobbyists, Karl Rove, and all Bush's economic advisors running his campaign. You'll pardon me if the sameness seems pretty fecking overwhelming.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    McCain has a pile of lobbyists, Karl Rove, and all Bush's economic advisors running his campaign. You'll pardon me if the sameness seems pretty fecking overwhelming.
    I think Rove is an asshole, but clearly he knows how to get his candidate elected.

If you want the job, you hire the people that can get you there. I work with people I don't like, but they are good at what they do. Doesn't mean I think like them, it's just that they can do the job.

And they all have lobbysists around. Even those that pretend they don't. Our entire political system involves lobbyists, and statements a candidate may make about not being involved with them would be lies. You cannot be a politician in the US without being involved with them. Anyone that thinks any campaign is lobbyist free is deluding themselves about our political system.

...because, Grimm, as bad as Bush is.......I believe that things can be a lot worse....I know, I know....it IS hard to imagine.....but I can get NO feel for Obama at all.....I don't know what he feels strongly about....I get the feeling that he says whatever is the best thing to say at that time.....he's got some great writers.....I NEED to know what a candidate feels his priorities are....Obama seems to want to do all things for all people immediately at great cost to someone, but he isn't going to say where the money will all come from.....his health care plan doesn't go far enough.....he has said nothing that tells me in detail how he is getting us out of Iraq....he has no great words on how to fix the economy, other than "Yes, I will do that"......Bill Clinton went by polls and advisors, but at least I knew that was how he made his decisions.....I'm a cynic....when I don't have enough information, I assume the worst.

.....for better or worse, I DO know what McCain feels strongly about....and he's been around long enough that you can find out how he has voted over the long haul and what he REALLY believes in and not have to listen to his political writers to try to find out....

...and bluntly, most of the "social issues" of Democrats versus Republicans don't concern me.....I'm not gay and I'm not planning on having an abortion any time soon.....neither party wants to support atheists.....

Quote Originally Posted by cynic View Post
    ...because, Grimm, as bad as Bush is.......I believe that things can be a lot worse....I know, I know....it IS hard to imagine.....but I can get NO feel for Obama at all.....I don't know what he feels strongly about....I get the feeling that he says whatever is the best thing to say at that time.....he's got some great writers.....I NEED to know what a candidate feels his priorities are....Obama seems to want to do all things for all people immediately at great cost to someone, but he isn't going to say where the money will all come from.....his health care plan doesn't go far enough.....he has said nothing that tells me in detail how he is getting us out of Iraq....he has no great words on how to fix the economy, other than "Yes, I will do that"......Bill Clinton went by polls and advisors, but at least I knew that was how he made his decisions.....I'm a cynic....when I don't have enough information, I assume the worst.

.....for better or worse, I DO know what McCain feels strongly about....and he's been around long enough that you can find out how he has voted over the long haul and what he REALLY believes in and not have to listen to his political writers to try to find out....

...and bluntly, most of the "social issues" of Democrats versus Republicans don't concern me.....I'm not gay and I'm not planning on having an abortion any time soon.....neither party wants to support atheists.....
    I agree with most of your points above and it scares me because the thought of even remotely possibly voting for McCain is shocking to me. I just don't get a good sense of who Obama really is and even though he is radically different than what we have now (which is awful), it is not a reason to vote for him. I wish he would've spent more time in the Senate and come back in 4 or 8 years with more of a history. The people of Illinois should be annoyed that they elected him Senator and he has spent much of his first term running for President. I feel like I always vote against the person I don't want more, than for a candidate. In this country of 300+ million - we can't do better?

Quote Originally Posted by Quazar View Post
    I agree with most of your points above and it scares me because the thought of even remotely possibly voting for McCain is shocking to me. I just don't get a good sense of who Obama really is and even though he is radically different than what we have now (which is awful), it is not a reason to vote for him. I wish he would've spent more time in the Senate and come back in 4 or 8 years with more of a history. The people of Illinois should be annoyed that they elected him Senator and he has spent much of his first term running for President. I feel like I always vote against the person I don't want more, than for a candidate. In this country of 300+ million - we can't do better?
    ...I believe that we HAD better, but the media narrowed our choices down by only reporting on THEIR favorite candidates.....

Quote Originally Posted by cynic View Post
    ...I believe that we HAD better, but the media narrowed our choices down by only reporting on THEIR favorite candidates.....
    truer words have never been spoken.....

oh god, now it's the media's fault

nevermind that on the Dem side, the media had been for one opponent for a year and a half before the other but that doesn't seem to matter...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information