Thread: Portland, OR elects openly gay mayor

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

Wink Portland, OR elects openly gay mayor

I didnt know this guy was gay; I just liked his name cuz of the beer
    Voters Make Adams Next Portland Mayor

POSTED: 8:23 pm PDT May 20, 2008
    UPDATED: 8:29 am PDT May 21, 2008

PORTLAND, Ore. -- Commissioner Sam Adams easily won the Portland mayoral race, making Portland the largest city in the U.S. to ever elect an openly gay mayor.

Adams avoided a November runoff by winning 58 percent of the vote with more than 80 percent of the ballots counted Tuesday night. Businessman Sho Dozono had 34 percent and almost a dozen minor candidates split the rest.

"I'm running not to be a gay mayor, but a great mayor," Adams said after delivering his victory speech. "But I'm very cognizant, very aware that I'm the first openly gay mayor of a major American city. That's a real honor."

If Adams received less than 50 percent of the vote, he would've had to face off against Dozono in a general election in November.

Adams has been the commissioner of public utilities and has run Portland's Office of Transportation and Bureau of Environmental Services.

He said Tuesday that he plans to make the city cleaner, greener, more equal and better educated.

"As mayor I will work hard with all of you, and believe me you're going to be working hard as well, to unite behind not only a common vision but to unite behind common actions that will move this city forward," Adams said.

Adams also thanked Representative Peter Defazio and former mayor Vera Katz with whom he began his political career.

Dozono Cedes Defeat In Mayoral Race
    Copyright 2008 by KPTV.com. The Associated Press contributed to this report. All rights reserved.
    This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
    Portland's a cool place; I'll admit that. very laid back

Sam Adams, gay and a beer. muy cool
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Portland is known for its many MANY micro breweries!http://www.oregonbeer.org/mapport.html *burrrrrrrrp*

Thumbs up

Cool. I look forward to the day when this kind of story doesn't even make the news.

right on! i've been hearing great things about this guy today.

i've been trying to talk my hubby into moving for awhile & portland is one city we both really consider.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

I've always wanted to visit Portland, it seems like the true multicultural and open city that san francisco tries to be. I definitely want to visit Voodoo donuts, it's been on t.v. a lot lately.

Great for the city and the voters.

it is^ and actually affordable unlike Frisco! & you know Quazar thats a good point but this was the first i even heard that this guy was gay; i dont think it was mentioned in the news up there at all. I got the headline from CNN and they must've added that cuz the only thing i remember reading about this guy for the past few months was his cool name and the fact that he was a shoe-in cuz he was a really great guy bla bla bla, i really dont think the local news up there has been mentioning it.

I heard this morning that he was gay, after I voted for him. As far I know it wasn't mentioned much around town as people were campaigning.

His main opponent was Sho Dozono who had a campaign add with 2 men with their arms around each other and it said, "Sho knows" - his campaign slogan. Apparently it's super funny.

Portland is great, even if some weird stories come out of here every now and again. Voodoo Donuts is really good, but the staff is a little snooty if you don't fit in with the cool hipster vibe they project. Plus, nothing is better than Stumptown coffee...move here, you'll like it.

and the black lab brewery!!!! u can bring your dog in there and have some beers; pretty cool to me, and of course there's 23rd street and hawthorne blvd for fun shopping and omg hot lips pizza to die for........oh, but ill prolly never go back well, we'll see, and they had a crowd of like 75,000 for the next pres.of the us Obama

anyone else find him sexy? I want to do him so bad and i dont know if i can vote for a man i wanna screw...

anyways back on topic.

The Lucky Lab, we have one right by our house, it's really good. Hot Lips is right up the road from where I work, I should go there more! PDX has a lot of great little neighborhoods and areas to shop and eat. Plus, you can't beat the scenery around here. Alice, I'm not sure why you left and moved to stinky ole' LA!

I was shocked at the crowd Obama got on Sunday. It was super hot and there were 60,000 people in the gated area, then an additional 15,000 outside either on bridges, boats & sidewalks. That's pretty amazing. It was the largest rally for a presidential candidate ever.

Quote Originally Posted by dolem View Post
    The Lucky Lab, we have one right by our house, it's really good. Hot Lips is right up the road from where I work, I should go there more! PDX has a lot of great little neighborhoods and areas to shop and eat. Plus, you can't beat the scenery around here. Alice, I'm not sure why you left and moved to stinky ole' LA!

I was shocked at the crowd Obama got on Sunday. It was super hot and there were 60,000 people in the gated area, then an additional 15,000 outside either on bridges, boats & sidewalks. That's pretty amazing. It was the largest rally for a presidential candidate ever.
    there was also a free concert right before he spoke. A lot of the media seems to forget to mention that part:

From CNN to the New York Times, the media hyped Barack Obama's Portland, Oregon rally on Sunday, some comparing him to a rock star.

Unmentioned in national reporting was the fact that Obama was preceded by a rare, 45-minute free concert by actual rock stars The Decemberists. The Portland-based band has drawn rave reviews from Rolling Stone magazine, which gave their 2005 album Picaresque four and a half stars (out of five), and another four and a half stars for 2007's The Crane Wife.

How many of the people showed up to hear Obama, and how many to hear the band?

Here's how the local paper The Oregonian,which estimated the crowd at 72,000, reported the rally:

"Obama was the biggest star at Sunday's gathering -- though a popular Portland band, The Decemberists, provided the warmup act. With blue skies and temperatures in the 80s, many in the crowd said Waterfront Park was simply the place to be."

CNN headlined its 10 p.m. segment on May 18 with "Barack Obama: Achieving Rock Star Status in Oregon."

The New York Times,which ran a color photo of the crowd, estimated the throng at 75,000, noting that it was "the largest crowd of his campaign so far." There was no mention of The Decemberists, and the Times described the weather as "an unseasonably hot day."

Indie rock Web sites were abuzz with news of the impending concert, which was also announced on the Obama campaign's Web site.

Here's the report from the Indie rock Web site Pitchfork:
    By land and by sea, they came to see the great man speak. An estimated 75,000 in all turned out to see presidential hopeful Barack Obama at Portland's Waterfront Park yesterday afternoon-- a record crowd for Obama's own campaign, according to The New York Times, and a record crowd for Oregon political events, according to The Oregonian. Just look at them all!

And hey, they got to see a pretty sweet opening act too. Calling themselves the Decemberists and led by lovably literate Steve Novick endorser Colin Meloy, this feisty fivepiece charmed the gathered for a good 45 minutes before Senator Obama took the stump. They even closed out with a sing-along entitled "Sons & Daughters", which had the masses joining the band to declare "Here all the bombs fade away..." Something tells me this Decemberists band is going places. Just like Senator Obama.

Here's how Pitchfork primed the pump for the concert/rally:
    Indie rock's #1 candidate crush Barack Obama is sittin' quite a bit prettier than he was a few weeks ago when the Arcade Fire and Bruce Springsteen went to bat for him, but the dashing junior Senator hasn't quite clinched the Democratic party nomination yet. Next up on the primary agenda are Oregon and Kentucky, whose voters hit the polls Tuesday, May 20. Should Obama win a heaping majority of the delegates up for grabs that day, he'll be within inches of securing the hotly-contested nom.

And look who's arrived to give Obama the extra push he needs to get on the ballot in November. Why, it's none other than those kings and queens of the month after, the Decemberists!

There's nothing wrong with a candidate using celebrity power to draw a crowd, but the media have a responsibility to report their presence. By ignoring the free concert, the Times and other outlets made it appear that 75,000 people were drawn only by Sen. Obama's considerable charisma.

Free Concert by Popular Band Preceded Obama’s Big Rally | NewsBusters.org
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

^ o lol

i moved to l.a. cuz i never 'fit in' in oregon, i didnt like the ppl i grew up around and they all but ignored me. so i had to leave.

Well, the media didn't ignore it, I knew that The Decemberists were there before Obama went on. I wasn't there, so I had to have heard it from somewhere else.

^^ Sorry about not fitting in here, that stinks. I found it the opposite when I went to San Diego for college. Being a short, brown headed, pale and can be girl I didn't fit with the rest of the tanned, tall blondes at my school. There are still good people in this town.

oh yeah i hated the weather too! it made me even more depressed then i already was growing up

Thread Information