Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Democrats may punish Joseph Lieberman for Republican convention appearance

Default Democrats may punish Joseph Lieberman for Republican convention appearance

Democrats may punish Lieberman for Republican convention appearance

Senator Joseph Lieberman, a stalwart backer of John McCain who calls himself an "independent Democrat", could face punishment from the Democratic party if he is asked to speak at this summer's Republican convention.

Lieberman has said he would appear at McCain's nominating convention if invited by the Republican, fuelling frustration among US liberals already angered by his support for the Iraq war. Democrats revoked his superdelegate status earlier this year. \

The onetime vice presidential nominee of Al Gore has played a pivotal role in maintaining Democrats' narrow control of the Senate. But party leader Harry Reid today left the door open to sanctioning Lieberman if he speaks in favour of McCain's nomination.

"I'll consider anything," Reid said at a breakfast with reporters today, adding that the Democratic presidential nominee, likely Barack Obama, would want to weigh in on Lieberman's future role.

Reid noted that Lieberman's reliable alignment with Democrats on domestic issues such as education and taxes - he has proposed a "war on terrorism" tax to fund the US presence in Iraq - makes the case for his continued value in the party.

The Connecticut senator sides with Democrats "90 to 95%" of the time outside of war-related issues, Reid said.

But Iraq has permanently discoloured Lieberman's standing with some US Democrats who believe his praise for George Bush has undercut the party's efforts to end the war. The strong bond between Lieberman and McCain has only exacerbated those doubts.

Democrats nearly faced a similar conundrum in 2004 when their senator from Georgia, Zell Miller, publicly denounced presidential nominee John Kerry at the Republican convention. Miller's previously announced retirement from politics that year spared him sanctions within the party.

The possibility of punitive action against Lieberman exists largely because of Democrats' excellent position in congressional elections this fall. Reid said the party is well positioned in as many as 11 Senate races, including several in traditional Republican bastions such as Alaska and Mississippi.

"We're going to pick up seats," Reid predicted.

The majority leader also addressed the future role of another influential senator: Hillary Clinton, whose presidential campaign is fading out as Obama builds on his lead in the delegate count.

The prospect of a former first lady and near-nominee returning to the Congress without a leadership post has led to speculation that Clinton might seek a senior role under Reid - or even contest for Reid's job.

Yet Reid quelled any speculation that he would make way for Clinton or that she would snag a new position upon her return.

"A senator coming back who ran for president, that's not unique around here," Reid said, referring to Kerry and two other senators who lost presidential bids, Joseph Biden and Chris Dodd.

"Senator Clinton has some very fine committee assignments. She's going to have a lot to do."

Democrats may punish Lieberman for Republican convention appearance | World news | guardian.co.uk

So where are the 'maverick' calls for Lieberman??? I actually like Lieberman more than McCain, albeit that stupid lapse in judgment when he agreed to be Gore's VP. I'll tell you what... if McCain names Lieberman his VP, that ticket will win in November.

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have. ~Thomas Jefferson

Lieberman? The guy that shills for Israel and has voted Republican on everything and even campaigns for them even though he's supposedly a Dem?

HAH. Right.

That guy is about on top of world affairs as McSame is. 2 old ignorant freaks trying to run the country.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Lieberman? The guy that shills for Israel and has voted Republican on everything and even campaigns for them even though he's supposedly a Dem?

HAH. Right.

That guy is about on top of world affairs as McSame is. 2 old ignorant freaks trying to run the country.
    At least their two EXPERIENCED ignorant freaks, unlike Obama who is ignorant and clueless.

and a coward that won't even vote on issues.

Experienced at what, failure? They couldn't piece together a cogent foreign policy if they were being paid to.

In fact, they have propped up Bush's failed adventures at every turn. All those years of experience, and they're STILL retarded?

WELL THAT GOT MY VOTE!

I'm pretty sure Obama is better educated on world events and history than these douches.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

^ You can't vote here anyway, can you?

No, and it's a good thing too. If i could, i would have run and buried every neocon i could.

Fer gawds sake, any one of us here could do a better job than McSame and LIEberman.

^^ Yes, I'm sure they'd be afraid of you Grimm.

*chuckles* I've wiped the floor with my fair share on here and otherwise and all it took was debating.

*chuckles* I've wiped the floor with my fair share on here and otherwise and all it took was debating.
    That's because most rational people know when they're banging their heads against a wall- because no matter what they say in contrary to you, it won't matter. Your hatred has utterly blinded you, sorry to say.

It's like arguing with a road sign. haha

No, it's that most of them are unable cite references or even provide an argument that made any logical sense.

they throw something up, and then i tear it apart thought by thought and by the end they usually have no way to counter it.

*shrug*

Then they claim that they're beating their head against a brick wall, when it's just that they can't formulate a countargument.

If they could, then it would be a back and forth but it's usually they say something, i pull it apart, they whine that thy can't reason (when they haven't even tried to provide a counterargument to mine) and then they flounce off.

It's happened a hundred times on here alone.

You tough guy you. haha

just fucking hate stupidity, or unreasoned arguments that people can't back up.

No, it's that most of them are unable cite references or even provide an argument that made any logical sense.

they throw something up, and then i tear it apart thought by thought and by the end they usually have no way to counter it.

*shrug*

Then they claim that they're beating their head against a brick wall, when it's just that they can't formulate a countargument.

If they could, then it would be a back and forth but it's usually they say something, i pull it apart, they whine that thy can't reason (when they haven't even tried to provide a counterargument to mine) and then they flounce off.

It's happened a hundred times on here alone.
    No, Grimm, its because you say they're wrong no matter what they post. And when you say pull apart their arguments, hasn't it ever occurred to you that the 'fact's you use are not 'facts' to the other person. Hell, just look at how you automatically believed Bush said Obama in the Nazi thread- when in fact did not.

Rational people know when to stop beating their head. Look, I'll show you...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information