Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Campaign brought sexism out of hiding

Default Campaign brought sexism out of hiding

WASHINGTON -- As the Democratic nomination contest slouches toward a close, it's time to take stock of what I will not miss.

I will not miss seeing advertisements for T-shirts that bear the slogan "Bros before Hos." The shirts depict Barack Obama (the Bro) and Hillary Clinton (the Ho) and they are widely sold on the Internet.

I will not miss walking past airport concessions selling the Hillary Nutcracker, a device in which a pantsuit-clad Clinton doll opens her legs to reveal stainless steel thighs that, well, bust nuts. I won't miss television and newspaper stories that make light of the novelty item.

I won't miss episodes like the one in which the liberal radio personality Randi Rhodes called Clinton a "big f---in' whore" and said the same about former vice presidential nominee Geraldine Ferraro. Rhodes was appearing at an event sponsored by a San Francisco radio station, before an audience of appreciative Obama supporters -- one of whom had promoted the evening on the presumptive Democratic nominee's official campaign Web site.

I won't miss Citizens United Not Timid (no acronym, please), an anti-Clinton group founded by Republican guru Roger Stone.

Political discourse will at last be free of jokes like this one, told last week by magician Penn Jillette on MSNBC: "Obama did great in February, and that's because that was Black History Month. And now Hillary's doing much better 'cause it's White B---- Month, right?" Co-hosts Joe Scarborough and Mika Brzezinski rebuked Jillette.

I won't miss political commentators (including National Public Radio political editor Ken Rudin and Andrew Sullivan, the columnist and blogger) who compare Clinton to the Glenn Close character in the movie "Fatal Attraction." In the iconic 1987 film, Close played an independent New York woman who has an affair with a married man played by Michael Douglas. When the liaison ends, the jilted woman becomes a deranged, knife-wielding stalker who terrorizes the man's blissful suburban family. Message: Psychopathic home-wrecker, be gone.

The airwaves will at last be free of comments that liken Clinton to a "she-devil" (Chris Matthews on MSNBC, who helpfully supplied an on-screen mockup of Clinton sprouting horns). Or those who offer that she's "looking like everyone's first wife standing outside a probate court" (Mike Barnicle, also on MSNBC).

But perhaps it is not wives who are so very problematic. Maybe it's mothers. Because, after all, Clinton is more like "a scolding mother, talking down to a child" (Jack Cafferty on CNN).

When all other images fail, there is one other I will not miss. That is, the down-to-the-basics, simplest one: "White women are a problem, that's -- you know, we all live with that" (William Kristol of Fox News).

I won't miss reading another treatise by a man or woman, of the left or right, who says that sexism has had not even a teeny-weeny bit of influence on the course of the Democratic campaign. To hint that sexism might possibly have had a minimal role is to play that risible "gender card."

Most of all, I will not miss the silence.

I will not miss the deafening, depressing silence of Democratic National Committee Chairman Howard Dean or other leading Democrats, who to my knowledge (with the exception of Sen. Barbara Mikulski of Maryland) haven't uttered a word of public outrage at the unrelenting, sex-based hate that has been hurled at a former first lady and two-term senator from New York. Among those holding their tongues are hundreds of Democrats for whom Clinton has campaigned and raised millions of dollars. Don Imus endured more public ire from the political class when he insulted the Rutgers University women's basketball team.

Would the silence prevail if Obama's likeness were put on a tap-dancing doll that was sold at airports? Would the media figures who dole out precious face time to these politicians be such pals if they'd compared Obama with a character in a blaxploitation film? And how would crude references to Obama's sex organs play?

There are many reasons why Clinton is losing the nomination contest, some having to do with her strategic mistakes, others with the groundswell for "change." But for all Clinton's political blemishes, the darker stain that has been exposed is the hatred of women that is accepted as a part of our culture.

RealClearPolitics - Articles - Clinton Campaign Brought Sexism Out of Hiding
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Very valid points. Anything that could be spun to make it where you could call someone a racist was accepted. No one cared about the blatant sexism.

Obama is untouchable, ya'll. Get used to it. He's babied by the media and given a free pass. Even on the Wright crap. If that had been Hillary or McCain, both would have been nailed to the cross by the media.

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have. ~Thomas Jefferson

yeah, i'll just smirk at the number of articles ive seen from feminists saying hillary should win just because she's a woman. bleh.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    yeah, i'll just smirk at the number of articles ive seen from feminists saying hillary should win just because she's a woman. bleh.
    And they are full of crap,too. However, that doesn't mean that sexism isn't alive and well and that it is tolerated far more than racism. You can think religion for a lot of that. One guy who commented on that article in the original publication actually said, "Well, sexism and racism aren't the same thing" as though one is really awful and unacceptable and the other is just a fact of life.

Saying 'iron my shirt' to a United States Senator, an educated professional woman, is every bit as demeaning to all women as telling Barack to 'Pick my cotton' would be to all black people. It disgusts me when some people try to cover up the C.U.N.T. analogies and the nutcracker gimmicks, along with the term 'hysterical' by saying that they aren't derogatory towards all women, just her. I suppose if I called Obama a nigger that it would be understood that I wasn't talking about all black people, just him, right? Yeah, sure. I'm also sure, as someone stated in the article or the comments, that if there was a watermelon eating Obama bobblehead being sold in stores that it would hardly be considered an individual insult. Have the fucking balls to come out and say what you really feel without being passive aggressive and insulting my intelligence in the process.

^^^^I mean that generically, not directed at anyone here.

I actually saw the Hillary nutcracker the other day, I thought it was funny.. not because of any sexist imagery (it actually didn't even enter my head) but because she had a ridiculous grin on her face while her legs were breaking things between them, like it was an everyday normal occurence lol

[
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by crumpet View Post
    And they are full of crap,too. However, that doesn't mean that sexism isn't alive and well and that it is tolerated far more than racism. You can think religion for a lot of that. One guy who commented on that article in the original publication actually said, "Well, sexism and racism aren't the same thing" as though one is really awful and unacceptable and the other is just a fact of life.

Saying 'iron my shirt' to a United States Senator, an educated professional woman, is every bit as demeaning to all women as telling Barack to 'Pick my cotton' would be to all black people. It disgusts me when some people try to cover up the C.U.N.T. analogies and the nutcracker gimmicks, along with the term 'hysterical' by saying that they aren't derogatory towards all women, just her. I suppose if I called Obama a nigger that it would be understood that I wasn't talking about all black people, just him, right? Yeah, sure. I'm also sure, as someone stated in the article or the comments, that if there was a watermelon eating Obama bobblehead being sold in stores that it would hardly be considered an individual insult. Have the fucking balls to come out and say what you really feel without being passive aggressive and insulting my intelligence in the process.

Excellent post. The unashamed and almost gleeful sexism that's been brought to the surface really bothers me too. It's perfectly fine to attack her politics or even Hilary itself, but there's no reason to turn into a sexist jackass to do it.
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

^^ Grimm:I can see what you're saying on a purely aesthetic level. But i'm tired of any women who has the temerity to aspire to be more than a doormat or a sidekick being malevolently labeled a 'ball buster' or any other nonsense, mainly because it implies that men are the rightful leaders and owners of everything and we just showed up to ruin their bachelor party. Because, you know, our greatest honor and achievement should be to hook one of these men into marriage so we can have power by proxy as a powerful man's wife. That should be enough for us, that is, if we're real women and not man hating dykes.

I can't help but wonder if thse people even stop to think: if women weren't meant to be anything more than housekeepers, cooks, harlots, and broodmares, why were we endowed with the brains and ability to do so much more???? I mean, if fish weren't meant to live in water they wouldn't have fins and gills, right? Do they think their perfect God makes mistakes? If that's all we were designed to do then that's all we would have the capacity to do, but it isn't.

you totally did though. you ran the strippers off.

Quote Originally Posted by Aella View Post
    Excellent post. The unashamed and almost gleeful sexism that's been brought to the surface really bothers me too. It's perfectly fine to attack her politics or even Hilary itself, but there's no reason to turn into a sexist jackass to do it.

Yeah, it's like some people are excited that they can publicly bash and ridicule ambitious women, if only under the pathetic guise of hating just this one woman.

you totally did though. you ran the strippers off.
    I've got better tits than most of them anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by crumpet View Post

It's frightening how easy that was written.
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

SS Diva: I sincerely hope that you understand the parallel I was trying to make with those desriptions. That was not advocacy of those things, but if people are that offended at the thought of it just being mentioned on a message board, imagine how they would feel when faced with that reality at the airport newsstand.

We are all adults here so I didn't feel the need to say 'N word' in my post when the whole point of the post was to describe things that are offensive and why some are tolerated and others aren't.

Crumpet - I fully understood the intent of your post and feel it was perfectly written.

I think you missed the whole point of the article. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information