Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Legalization of Marijuana - yes or no?

Default Legalization of Marijuana - yes or no?

Hey gossiprocks friends, my son is doing a term paper on marijuana and its history. It's fascinating. At one point in the U.S. it was legal, up until the 1930's. The stems of marijuana (hemp) can be used to make paper. William Randolph Hearst (the newspaper guy) had lots of money in the timber industry, to make his newspapers, and didn't want hemp used cuz he'd lose money. The government decided to out law marijuana and make the public think it would make you crazy. That's where the movie "Reefer Madness" came out, and it was made illegal.

Now, in my opinion, marijuana should be legalized. First of all it is a plant, natural, not a bunch of chemicals like meth. Secondly, the drug smugglers would be out of business with the marijuana trafficking. It would be regulated and safer then street weed. There are arguments....

Marijuana is bad on your lungs.....so is tobacco, and alcohol is bad on the liver.
    Marijuana can alter your judgment......so can alcohol.
    Marijuana can burn braincells..........so can alcohol.

Finally, to share a personal story with you all....my father was diagnosed with lymphoma last year. He went thru the chemo. The chemo made him even sicker, his whole body just gave out. He was in the nursing home, couldn't eat,drink, or talk. Was barely conscious. The doctors said the lymphoma did go into remission from the chemo, but the chemo messed up his system so bad. He was in a nursing home and they didn't think he'd make it to Christmas. The doctor decided to just try an experimental drug on him, made from the THC in marijuana. He slowly started eating, drinking, talking. Eventually the chemo after-effects left his system. He built his strength back up, and came home from the nursing home April 1st.

They have used marijuana to treat cancer, anorexia, multiple sclerosis, glaucoma, and some others that slip my mind.

Anyway, please post your thoughts one way or another if you have an opinion on this. Thanks.

Meh, pot doesn't bother me. If people want to smoke the stuff, go right ahead. However, people will think it less harmful than alcohol and go driving whle totally baked.

Weed today is about 500% as potent as it was back in the 30's, thanks to selective breeding and hydroponic techniques. I mean, you can literally see the THC crystals growing out of the leaves in some varieties.

Otherwise, yeah.. it's like having a couple drinks. Big woop. I don't understand the huge issue about it.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Honestly, I don't think pot's any different than ciggies or booze, and I think the gov't is losing alot of tax dollars by NOT legalizing it. I mean seriously, just tax the shit out of it.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

That's the conclusion I have come to. Rather than making it illegal & spending tons of police hours on this,tax it! Get it out of the back streets.

As far as medical conditions-this should be wide open for any doctor to perscribe to his/her patients without having to jump through hoops. I think it helps glaucoma patients as well as cancer pateints and who knows what else.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Hit By Ban Bus!

Who was it who said something like-"If it's a powder you snort , a pill you swallow, or a liquid you inject, avoid at all costs. But how is a plant that grows from the ground going to hurt you?"

Hell yes, legalize it. I miss it terribly, but Momma ain't going to jail.

Old people around my home town,famous for its weed worldwide,brew it like tea and drink it.
    They claim it cures everything..
    It is legal for them.
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

I think this song said it all.
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0xVND5mqkE[/YOUTUBE]
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

Hit By Ban Bus!

Its all Hearsts fault, he was incredibly influential with the politicians of the time. "Citizen kane" was all about him.

Thing I've never understood - Booze...legal, Nicotine....legal, Pot ...illegal?

It will eventually be legalized, just like Booze was, I'm convinced of that.

One of the biggest obstacles other than morality is the Police - its very ez to bust a bunch of Potheads through a sting and make your quota - thats why they are dead set against legalizing it.

As a cancer survivor, my vote is to make marijuana legal for medicinal purposes.

If we made it legal for everyone then taxed the hell out of it, we could be on the road to universal health care in the US.
    "the place you live in is that much more drab and empty that they're gone"

If it helps people who are ill then let them have it I say

I can't say I'm much of a fan of drugs, drink or cigarettes, I don't need or want them in my life...as long as people drinking/smoking them don't harm others it's OK

Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches

I've never tried pot or any drug, but I'm all for making it legal. I've never met a person who became a raging, violent asswipe who beat his wife while stoned on pot.
    Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

A*O

I think ALL recreational drugs should be legalised and taxed to the max like booze and tobacco. Supplies can then be regulated and some kind of quality controls imposed so people get 'safe' drugs, the Govt gets billions in tax revenue instead of the drug barons and the crims are no longer involved. It would also free up huge amounts of police and prison resources so they can concentrate on catching and dealing with the real bad guys.

Like booze and tobacco, I'm sure there will still be an illicit trade but I think most users would prefer to get their stuff from a reliable and legal source. And if their habit kills them, it's their choice.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    I think ALL recreational drugs should be legalised and taxed to the max like booze and tobacco. Supplies can then be regulated and some kind of quality controls imposed so people get 'safe' drugs, the Govt gets billions in tax revenue instead of the drug barons and the crims are no longer involved. It would also free up huge amounts of police and prison resources so they can concentrate on catching and dealing with the real bad guys.

Like booze and tobacco, I'm sure there will still be an illicit trade but I think most users would prefer to get their stuff from a reliable and legal source. And if their habit kills them, it's their choice.
    i was about to say the same thing but you saved me the effort and typing.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Legalize it. Cigarretes are just as dangerous to your lungs, yet we're allowed to smoke them, anyway. Alcohol can be just as debilitating and intoxicating, yet we're allowed to drink it. Pot's not different than either, so it makes no sense to have a legal age on two different substances that can be just as dangerous and lethal. A lot of people think it's because pot can open up a gateway to harder drugs, which isn't necesarily true. Infact, a lot of people start off by SMOKING CIGARRETES. Besides, marijuana isn't a drug, it's a plant. May aswell make every other plant illegal, too.

And what about the people who actually need it? If we can't have pot be legal for everyone, then at least make it to where people in bad physical health can have it.

Another thing, pot relaxes people. Couldn't you imagine how many more people would be at ease if this stuff were legal?

Hit By Ban Bus!

^ Good point - the only reason there is a statistical relation to MJ being a "gateway" drug is because it is illegal.

People smoke pot and think - this is nothing, if this is illegal and nothing then everything else I've been warned about is prob. nothing too - pass the needle!

I think if NJ was legal, all other illegal drug use would plummet.

Ha, ^ NJ, I must be stoned. Meant MJ

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information