Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Rev. Wright remarks leave Barack Obama wounded (Hillary Clinton up +9 in Indiana)

Hit By Ban Bus!

Default New Rev. Wright remarks leave Barack Obama wounded (Hillary Clinton up +9 in Indiana)

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Wright's Remarks Wound Obama

The public reemergence of Rev. Jeremiah Wright dominated last night's cable news broadcasts and was covered in-depth by each of the three networks, which gave very little attention to any other aspect of the Democratic primary campaign. This morning's major newspapers, likewise, are reporting on the controversial pastor at length. The New York Times notes that in remarks at the National Press Club in Washington, Wright "suggested that the attacks of Sept. 11 were at least in part a response by terrorists to terrorism practiced by the United States abroad. 'You cannot do terrorism on other people and expect it never to come back on you,' he said." He "stood by his suggestion that the United States might have invented HIV, the virus that causes AIDS," and "suggested that Mr. Obama's speech in which he distanced himself from some of Mr. Wright's more controversial remarks was politically motivated." The Washington Times adds that Wright also "refused to apologize for his infamous 'God damn America' sermon, saying the US government owed blacks an apology for slavery" and "stood firm in his praise of Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan." The Washington Post's Dana Milbank writes, "From the moment he entered the room, Wright seemed to be looking to stir controversy."
    The AP says Wright "seemed to relish the chance to speak out after weeks of being derided in the press. He reveled in his retorts, high-fiving an audience member, pointing and winking at his supporters and mocking descriptions of him as Obama's spiritual mentor. According to The Politico, Wright also "said...he will try to change national policy by 'coming after'...Obama if he is elected president."
    In a shift, much of the coverage characterized Wright as a serious threat to Obama's campaign whereas in previous weeks his controversial statements were portrayed as more of a distraction Obama had dealt with effectively. The CBS Evening News reported that Wright's "reemergence now just as the Illinois senator seeks to regain some momentum, is a gift to the political opposition which has stressed Obama's difference from the mainstream. ... Wright's inflammatory rhetoric and the endless recycling of his statements on the internet and television had already knocked Obama's presidential campaign off stride." ABC World News called Wright "the controversy" that Obama "just can't seem to shake." NBC Nightly News showed Obama saying of Wright, "He does not speak for me. He does not speak for the campaign. And so, you know, he may make statements in the future that don't reflect my values or concerns."
    CNN's Anderson Cooper 360 said Wright's "toxic preaching derailed" Obama's candidacy and added, "We do know the Obama camp is having a bad month and this week isn't looking any better. ... The reemergence of the reverend is exponentially harmful to Obama's mission."
    Wright Seen As Harming Obama With Working Class Whites Long Island Newsday reports that Wright's "animated, provocative and sometimes comic 90-minute appearance at the press club is likely to raise more questions than it answered. 'I don't know why he's doing this to his friend...he's seriously hurting Obama,' said Stu Rothenberg, an independent political analyst based in Washington. 'I can only assume that Jeremiah Wright's top agenda is helping Jeremiah Wright,' he added. 'It's already done the damage. It's something for those older white working-class downscale people to latch onto in voting against Obama.'" The New York Post adds that Wright's "latest comments, on the heels of a whirlwind media tour, come at an exceptionally bad time for Obama, who is courting white working-class voters in Indiana to turn back a re-energized Clinton." Similarly, the Christian Science Monitor reports that Wright's appearances "inject issues of race back into the nomination contest at an awkward time for Obama," who "was already fending off new questions about his ability to win enough blue-collar white voters to close the protracted nomination fight with" Clinton. And the New York Daily News says, "For Obama, Wright's leap onto the national stage could hardly come at a worse time, a week before the Indiana and North Carolina primaries. Obama's weakness with white working-class voters helped cost him last week's Pennsylvania primary -- and a chance to put Hillary Clinton away."
    Clinton, McCain Stay Out Of Fray In a story headlined "Barack Obama's Foes Avoid Fueling Jeremiah Wright Controversy," the New York Daily News reports that Clinton and McCain "unwrapped the gift of Barack Obama's former pastor in private Monday, letting the Rev. Jeremiah Wright's words do the work for them. Asked about the latest remarks from Wright, neither" Clinton nor McCain "had much to say."

North Carolina Governor To Endorse Clinton

With North Carolina's primary approaching on May 6 and Sen. Barack Obama favored to win the contest, the word is out that Sen. Hillary Clinton has picked up an unexpected endorsement in the state Gov. Mike Easley. The AP says Easley, in a "surprise boost" for Clinton, is expected to formally announce the endorsement in Raleigh this morning. The Politico adds that Easley's endorsement "offers her a potent symbolic and electoral boost in the biggest state left to vote. Easley is a meaningful ally in the culture war she's waging against Senator Barack Obama, as she seeks to cast him as a hopelessly unelectable liberal elitist and to persuade the Democratic Party leaders who will decide the nomination the 'superdelegates' to choose her instead." The CBS Evening News called Easley's endorsement "important."
    Obama Backed By New Mexico Senator Meanwhile, there was a glimmer of light for Obama during an otherwise wretched day he picked up the endorsement of New Mexico Sen. Jeff Bingaman (D), ABC World News reported last night.
    Sign up here to get the US News Political Bulletin emailed to you each morning at 8 a.m.

Obama Up By Ten In North Carolina

An American Research Group poll of 600 likely North Carolina Democratic primary voters taken April 26-27 shows Sen. Barack Obama leading Sen. Hillary Clinton 52%-42%. Obama held a similar 52%-41% lead in a poll taken April 14-15.
    Obama Woos Blue Collar Voters ABC World News reported Obama was in North Carolina yesterday "talking as little as possible about Reverend Wright and much as possible about other parts of his past. It's a new strategy ahead of next week's primaries there in Indiana." Far from "his fancy friends such as Oprah and his more controversial one such as Reverend Wright, Obama said he understands what the residents of Wilmington North Carolina want and believe." It's "part of a new phase of the Obama campaign to re-introduce himself as someone who just doesn't understand the working-class but is of it." The Durham Herald-Sun adds that in a separate appearance in Chapel Hill, "the Dean Dome rocked Monday night as people danced in the aisles, did the 'wave' and jumped for joy at a Barack Obama presidential rally. A crowd estimated at between 17,000 and 18,000 by police and Obama staff members, caught one of Obama's largest indoor rallies and cheered loudly and repeatedly throughout his speech in which he said the reason he decided to run so early in his career is because he couldn't wait. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., Obama said, called it the fierce urgency of now."

Clinton Up Nine In Indiana

A SurveyUSA automated poll of 628 likely Indiana Democratic primary voters taken April 25-27 for WHAS-TV Louisville and WCPO-TV Cincinnati shows Sen. Hillary Clinton leading Sen. Barack Obama 52%-43%.
    Pro-Clinton 527 Launches Massive Indiana Ad Buy. The AP reports that the American Leadership Project, a 527 independent campaign group, "consisting of backers of Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton's presidential campaign was to begin spending at least $700,000 Tuesday in an Indiana advertising blitz calling on Sen. Barack Obama to address the economic plight of Americans. The Indiana ad campaign would be the biggest single expenditure in a state for the mostly union financed group" which "spent more than $1 million running ads in Texas, Ohio and Pennsylvania." USNews.com: Political Bulletin: Tuesday, April 29, 2008
    Last edited by ingi; April 29th, 2008 at 11:12 AM.

RealClearPolitics - Election 2008 - Indiana Democratic Primary Obama was slightly leading in the other polls through 4/24. Then the Rev went on his speaking tour this weekend and Clinton is up by 9. The Republican will love Rev Wright all the way to November.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Indiana was even at 45-45 before all this!

Obama has no one to blame but himself. If he's so sharp, he would have picked a less insane pastor.

Or walked away earlier. Piss poor political judgement.

The "Chickens are coming home to roost" if I may paraphrase.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

^ I agree.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Obama has no one to blame but himself. If he's so sharp, he would have picked a less insane pastor.

He should have thrown Rev Wright metaphorically under the bus at that race speech in Philly. He did kind of bring this on himself...

*shrug* this'll probably put a nail in his coffin, and then it'll be Hillary "voted for iraq war" clinton squaring off against John "just like bush" McSame.

talk about booooooring
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Obama throws Wright under the bus today!!!! It was carried on all the cable networks. Hilarious.

Too little, too late.

got a transcript ?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

CNN) — In his harshest criticism yet of his former minister, Rev. Jeremiah Wright, Barack Obama said he was “outraged” by Wright’s comments at the National Press Club Monday, and “saddened by the spectacle.”
    “I have been a member of Trinity Church since 1992. I have known Rev. Wright for almost 20 years,” he said at a North Carolina press conference Tuesday. “The person I saw yesterday is not the person I met 20 years ago.”
    Obama said he was outraged by Wright’s remarks that seemed to suggest the U.S. government might be responsible for the spread of AIDS in the black community, and his equation of some American wartime efforts with terrorism. And he seemed to signal a complete break with his former minister.
    “What particularly angered me was his suggestion somehow that my previous denunciation of his remarks were somehow political posturing,” said Obama, who added that Wright had shown “little regard for me” and seemed more concerned with “taking center stage.”
    He said he had not spoken with Wright since his Monday speech.
    Filed under: Barack Obama

Excerpts From Barack Obama's press conference on Reverend Jeremiah Wright:
    I'm outraged by the comments that were made and saddened by the spectacle that we saw yesterday. I have been a member of Trinity United Church of Christ since 1992 and have known Jeremiah Wright for almost 22 years. The person I saw yesterday was not the person I met 20 years ago. His comments were not only divisive and destructive, but they also give comfort to those that prey on hate and I believe they do not accurately portray the perspective of the black church. They certainly do not accurately portray my values and beliefs. If Reverend Wright thinks that is political posturing on my part, he does not know me very well.

I have already denounced those comments that have come out of these previous sermons. I gave him the benefit of the doubt in my speech in Philadelphia, explaining that he has done enormous good in the church, has built a wonderful conversation. They are a wonderful people and what attracted me has always been the ministries reach beyond church walls. But when he states and then amplifies such ridiculous propositions, that the U.S. government is involved in AIDS, when he suggests that Louis Farrakhan represents one of the greatest voices of the 21st century, when he equates the United States' wartime effort with terrorism, then there are no excuses. They offend me, they rightfully offend all Americans, and they should be denounced. That is what I am doing very clearly and unequivocally here today.
    "I have spent my entire adult life trying to bridge the gap between different kinds of people. That's in my DNA, trying to promote mutual understanding to insist that we all share common hopes and common dreams as Americans and as human beings. That's who I am, that's what I believe, and that's what this campaign has been about,"

"The person that I saw yesterday was not the person that I met 20 years ago," he said. "His comments were not only divisive and destructive, but I believe that they end up giving comfort to those who prey on hate, and I believe that they do not portray accurately the perspective of the black church."

Obama's Reverend Wright Press Conference - Politics on The Huffington Post
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post

Hell even Oprah walked away from Rev Wright years ago.

the only thing i agree with the guy on is US imperialism equating with terrorism. That much is true, what with the invading of sovereign states based on lies, funding and arming crazies for short term gain, overthrowing legally elected governments for the same...

the rest of it though... a bit off..

Hit By Ban Bus!

Obama says he's outraged by former pastor's comments

Apr 29 02:26 PM US/Eastern
    By MIKE GLOVER

Associated Press WriterHICKORY, N.C. (AP) - Democrat Barack Obama said Tuesday he was outraged by the latest assertion by his former pastor that criticism of his fiery sermons is an attack on the black church.

The presidential candidate is seeking to tamp down the growing fury over Rev. Jeremiah Wright and his incendiary remarks that threaten to envelope his campaign.

"I am outraged by the comments that were made and saddened by the spectacle that we saw yesterday," Obama told reporters at a news conference.

After weeks of staying out of the public eye while critics lambasted his sermons, Wright made three public appearances in four days to defend himself. The former pastor of Trinity United Church of Christ in Chicago has been combative, providing colorful commentary and feeding the story Obama had hoped was dying down.

"This is not an attack on Jeremiah Wright," Wright told the Washington media Monday. "It has nothing to do with Senator Obama. It is an attack on the black church launched by people who know nothing about the African-American religious tradition."

Obama told reporters Tuesday that Wright's comments do not accurately portray the perspective of the black church.
    "The person I saw yesterday was not the person that I met 20 years ago," Obama said of the man who married him.

And does anything think Wright will not respond? Man, I am going to get the popcorn ready for this.

For Obama, Its a bit too late.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information