Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 7 things about the economy everyone should be worried about

In the Ukraine, 38% of the population live below the poverty line -- in the United States, it's 12%.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

So their unemployment rate is in line with the US.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    So their unemployment rate is in line with the US.
    Yes, Iran's unemployment rate is in line with the U.S.

Their infant mortality rate is 5 times higher.

Their percent population below the poverty line is somewhat higher than ours -- looks like about 18% or so.

Iran has a 28% inflation rate. Probably not a good place for retirees or people on a fixed income.

Quote Originally Posted by travelbug View Post
    How long before they start passing out the SOMA to the working class?
    Oh no we don't want that.. I've taken it before and I got reallllllllly dizzy plus I would do things and forget I did them.. bad baaaad.
    Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Yes, Iran's unemployment rate is in line with the U.S.

Their infant mortality rate is 5 times higher.

Their percent population below the poverty line is somewhat higher than ours -- looks like about 18% or so.

Iran has a 28% inflation rate. Probably not a good place for retirees or people on a fixed income.
    Then again, I don't really know anyone who would move to Iran on a bet.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    No. 8: for the last 30 years the most absurd amount of money has been concentrated in the hands of the top 1-2% of the nation. Never before in history has so much wealth been so concentrated among the elite of a nation. The middle class has been raped for 30 years to accomplish this and is teetering on the brink of destruction.

When the middle class goes... society goes.
    Yes. Actually the 'middle class' as a major class is only a recent thing-one hundred or maybe a hundred and twenty years ago, there was a small rich class, a small middle class, and a very large working/working poor/abjectly poor class. The middle class hit it's height in 1972(when it comes to actual purchasing power for the average American-adjusted for everything). That was the highest year. The oil embargo in 73 started the downward slide..and we are still going one step forward, two steps back. The 'middle class' as we have known it may be a thing of the past.

Maybe it(a real large dominant middle class) was just an anomaly anyway? Regardless it is a sad commentary on this nation, where this nation has been headed for the last 40 years or so, and where this nation is headed.

I am not optomistic.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

I'm not either. It looks pretty scary from where I'm sitting. I have a relative who was made redundant after 35 years at the same company. He got some severance but is now back in school at the age of 50+. He's trying to see it as a blessing to pursue something he's always loved but in reality he's scared shitless.

--Sinclair Lewis

Elite Member

Yes, I know people who are desperate for work. A small pharmacy just opened nearby and I swear DH and I are the only customers. The trays for the filled orders are completely empty each time I've been in there. He is so overly eager it is almost offputting. Very nice guy but if his pharmacy doesn't pick up business he's screwed. It's a nice shopping area and I'm sure his lease is expensive.

Everyone's a salesperson now too...even in casual settings friends are trying to score business.

If we moved to another country, what are the chances of finding a job? It doesn't sound like there's anywhere that is just booming. And even if there are jobs, is the cost of living much higher? It doesn't sound like hardly anyone in Canada can afford a house.

People can afford houses all over the place in Canada, but the closer you are to a downtown core in any city the price rises dramatically. That's normal everywhere.

For a dump close to the city center you could have a huge house in the burbs.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

well Obama AND Biden will be in Tampa tomrrow for a BIG announcement, concerning the proposed Bullet Train. Only 2 billion dollars to build. Funny thing is it only take an hour and 15 min to travel from Tampa to Orlando anyway. What a freaking waste of $. I gotta dsee how he justifies this and why do they BOTH have to be here. There are more pressing things going on
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    People can afford houses all over the place in Canada, but the closer you are to a downtown core in any city the price rises dramatically. That's normal everywhere.

For a dump close to the city center you could have a huge house in the burbs.
    Are there any jobs up there? Are you welcoming to expatriate Americans?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information