Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GOP strategist: Racism would give John McCain 15% advantage over Barack Obama

Hit By Ban Bus!

Default GOP strategist: Racism would give John McCain 15% advantage over Barack Obama

Strategist Says Racism Would Give McCain 15% Edge on Obama

Posted April 21, 2008 | 10:22 PM (EST)

It gives me no satisfaction to report on what a GOP strategist recently told Politico's Roger Simon, as he reports tonight. I have said for months that race is a far bigger factor in the Obama-Clinton contest than most liberals will admit -- I mean, a significant number of whites who will not vote for a black man -- and will loom even larger in the general election. Simon says the "prominent" strategist predicted that McCain would get a 15% bump in his direction because of racism in a contest against Obama this fall.
    That would explain the odd national polls that show McCain, or Bush II as he might be known, equaling or topping Obama in a face-to-face contest. It's true that there are similar poll numbers right now for a McCain-Clinton battle. But there is a long tradition of people telling pollsters one thing and voting quite differently in the privacy of the voting booth -- when race is a factor.
    Simon cites an AP poll that revealed this month that fully 8% of the respondents said they would have real trouble voting for an African-American. That was always my belief, and why I had to laugh when liberals attacked Gov. Ed Rendell when he suggested that some in Pennsylvania will not vote for a black man. He was speaking the truth, but some, in the heady early 2008 Obama days, refused to believe it.
    Politico's Simon says that he had asked the Republican leader whether taxes, or the economy, or the war, or like that, would be the key issue this fall, and the GOP guy replied: "You're missing the most important one," he said. "Race. McCain runs against Barack Obama and the race vote is worth maybe 15 percent to McCain."
    That could be shaved down a bit, making a McCain-Obama contest a real tossup, given the latter's many strengths and the unpopularity of McCain's views with most. But I've always wondered if the real reason the Clintons think Obama is "unelectable" is not the ability to handle the 3 a.m. phone call -- but the color of his skin.
    It got little attention, but Tom McMahon, mayor of Reading, Pa., told USA Today yesterday, referring to his state, "We have a great heritage. America was started here, but sometimes we're a little too steeped in our tradition." McMahon says he got some angry calls when he announced his endorsement of Obama: "I think there's a bit of racism below the surface," he explained.
    Some suggest that the 8% or whatever represent simply rigthwing Republicans who would never vote for a Democrat, anyway. But to believe that only furthers the myth that racism is not a factor among a number of good old longterm Democrats -- or seemingly liberal college students.
    If Obama wins or comes close on Tuesday then this theory will get partly shot down. If he runs well behind -- especially if behind the latest polls and exit polls -- then the "race" within the "race" may take center stage. Greg Mitchell: GOP Strategist Says Racism Would Give McCain 15% Edge on Obama - Politics on The Huffington Post

Um, ok, this comes from the GOP, am I supposed to think it's UNBIASED?
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Look at the Ford race in Tennessee, a lot of polling was skewed because whites told the networks they would vote one way, then after the 'Superbowl' ad did something else. Taylor Marsh: The Swiftboating of Harold Ford, Jr. - Politics on The Huffington Post

This drives me nuts. Obama may win the nomination due in part to the "I'd rather vote for a black man than a white women" syndrome. Then in November it will come down to voting for a white man over a black man. We are making progress on racism and sexism in this country but we still have so far to go. I can't understand why people would vote for a lesser candidate, often one who does not share their values, just so they don't have a women or a black in office.

Racism, knows no political affiliation. I'm willing to bet there are equal amounts of racists in both parties- and independents.

Quote Originally Posted by tkdgirl View Post
    Racism, knows no political affiliation. I'm willing to bet there are equal amounts of racists in both parties- and independents.

I can believe that......

I also think that 15% is a higher number than that....I doubt most racists would admit that they are racist and won't vote for a black person....i think most racists are quieter about it
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Gold Member

And what advantage does Barack Obama gain by being black? I doubt he'd be getting 90% of the black vote if he didn't happen to be black.

Quote Originally Posted by purple rain View Post
    And what advantage does Barack Obama gain by being black? I doubt he'd be getting 90% of the black vote if he didn't happen to be black.
    If it was just Hillary running and not Obama, the blacks would be voting for Hillary, because blacks don't generally vote Republican so it's a moot point.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Oh, black folks just voting for Obama cause he's black (sorta) right? Then why didn't we vote for Al Sharpton in 2004? STOP THAT B.S.!

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    This drives me nuts. Obama may win the nomination due in part to the "I'd rather vote for a black man than a white women" syndrome. Then in November it will come down to voting for a white man over a black man. We are making progress on racism and sexism in this country but we still have so far to go. I can't understand why people would vote for a lesser candidate, often one who does not share their values, just so they don't have a women or a black in office.
    Don't you mean...I'd rather vote for a half-black man than a white woman

Every time I realize racism exists, the more I think...wtf already. This is stupid as hell. One day, aliens or cylons or whatever will cast upon this earth and laugh at human beings for turning against each other because of skin pigmentation.

Quote Originally Posted by tkdgirl View Post
    Sad, but true. Racism and sexism aren't mutually exclusive to any party.

Quote Originally Posted by louiswinthorpe111 View Post
    If it was just Hillary running and not Obama, the blacks would be voting for Hillary, because blacks don't generally vote Republican so it's a moot point.
    That's true, to a point. If Obama wasn't in the race Hillary would get more of the black vote, but she wouldn't get the levels that Obama's getting or that Bill Clinton got.

I'm surprised the number isn't higher, really.
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

^^I am sure it is too but for some reason they don't want anyone to know.

Exactly my thoughts.

I think they would frighten people if they were higher.

Quote Originally Posted by purple rain View Post
    Of course Obama has some advantage with black voters because of his race. Just like McCain has some advantage with white voters because of his race, and just as Hillary had some advantage with female voters because of her gender.

But if Obama wasn't intelligent, articulate and reasonably qualified to do the job, he wouldn't be getting 90% of the black vote. Just ask Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton about that.

What percentage of the black vote did Bill Clinton get.. pretty fucking high. Last I checked he was as white as a sheet.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information