Thread: U.S. travel restriction on "terrorist" Nelson Mandela to be lifted

Default U.S. travel restriction on "terrorist" Nelson Mandela to be lifted

US shamed by Mandela terror link

Mr Mandela will celebrate his 90th birthday later this year

BBC NEWS | Africa | US shamed by Mandela terror link

US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice has asked for "embarrassing" travel restrictions on Nelson Mandela and South African leaders to be lifted.
    A bill has been introduced in the US Congress to remove from databases any reference to South Africa's governing party and its leaders as terrorists.
    The African National Congress (ANC) was designated as a terrorist organisation by South Africa's old apartheid regime.
    At present a waiver is needed for any ANC leaders to enter the country.
    "It is frankly a rather embarrassing matter that I still have to waive in my own counterparts - the foreign minister of South Africa, not to mention the great leader, Nelson Mandela," Ms Rice told lawmakers in Washington.
    Last week, Howard Berman, chairman of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs, who introduced the bill said it was "shameful" that the United States still treated the ANC this way.
    "Amazingly, Nelson Mandela still needs to get a special waiver to enter the United States based on his courageous leadership of the ANC. What an indignity. This legislation will wipe it away," he said.
    South Africa's apartheid government banned the ANC in 1960, imprisoning or forcing into exile its leaders.
    Mr Mandela, who turns 90 this year, was released in 1990 after spending 27 years in prison.
    He then became the country's first post-apartheid-era president, before retiring after serving one term in office.
    He appears to be in reasonable health, but now makes far fewer public appearances.

Yeah, Mandela's the terrorist, just like Saddam Hussein and Iraq attacked us on 9/11. But, then again, Bush did say that 'the Mandela's were all dead' last year when somebody asked him about Iraq, and made people think that Mandela had died, so this doesn't even surprise me.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    But, then again, Bush did say that 'the Mandela's were all dead' last year when somebody asked him about Iraq, and made people think that Mandela had died, so this doesn't even surprise me.
    Just when I think he couldn't possibly prove what an ass he is any further than he already has.......

Thread Information