Thread: Philadelphia police officers punished over racist stickers

Default Philadelphia police officers punished over racist stickers

Philly Officers Punished Over Stickers

Two narcotics officers were demoted from an elite strike force and suspended without pay because of racially offensive stickers found inside a police department locker.
    Police Commissioner Charles H. Ramsey this week punished officers Scott Schweizer and Eric Dial, transferring the pair out of the Narcotics Strike Force to routine patrol in districts where they started as rookies. The officers were also each suspended for 20 days without pay and prohibited from using vacation days toward the unpaid leave.
    Two racist stickers were found inside Schweizer's locker. One sticker read: "White Power." The other depicted a cartoon of a man, half as an officer in uniform and half as a Klansman, with the words "Blue By Day White By Night."
    Ramsey described the discipline as harsh but just, and said he stopped short of firing the officers because they "had no histories that would indicate that they engaged in any racist type of activities."
    Schweizer's attorney, Allan J. Sagot, maintained that his client was the victim of a practical joke played by another officer, who affixed the stickers to the outside of Schweizer's locker. Once he saw the stickers, Schweizer pulled them off his locker and stuck them inside, Sagot said.
    An Internal Affairs Bureau investigation concluded that Dial created the stickers and put them on Schweizer's locker in the narcotics strike force headquarters in the city's Bridesburg section, Ramsey said.

Cops & racism go together like George Bush & Jack Daniels. I've got some friends that are cops and I have to call them on some of the bullshit that they say sometimes.

^How do they respond to you?
    "I ransacked his drawers when he left me by myself at his place for the first time. That's how we did it in the good old days. Tells me all I need to know about him. He pretends he didn't notice. That's how good relationships start." - Chilly Willy

^^They tell me that I don't understand what it's like to be a cop. And I respond that you don't know what it's like to be a minority dealing with the cops sometimes.

^^ I was just talking about racist cops with someone last night. We were trying to decide if you must be a racist to become a cop, or if it's something that happens after being on the job
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

^^I think it's both. I think some people are already racists when they become cops, and I think some people just pick up some racist tendencies as they go along.

Two of my friends that are cops weren't racist when they became cops, but some of the stuff that they've picked up in the time that they've been cops is amazing. A few of the things that they've said in the past have almost ended my friendships with them. But it's been educational for me.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I'm surprised at this perception of cops as racist. I know a few cops, none racist; very good, fair-minded guys (and girl).

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    Cops & racism go together like George Bush & Jack Daniels. I've got some friends that are cops and I have to call them on some of the bullshit that they say sometimes.
    Agreed. It's the same all over the world, cops have some of nastiest, scariest views around.
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

Hit By Ban Bus!

I think it's awfully prejudicial to assume that all cops are racist. Kinda like saying that all teachers are stupid. It might be true, but it's not really PC to say, know what I mean?

I think you also have to look at the type of person who becomes a cop. Often they dont have a college education, and if they do, its in criminal justice. And most of the cops I know became a cop after someone they loved was a victim of a crime.

Then the other people I know who became cops used to be complete hell-raisers: they partied, drove crazy, got into fights, had issues with authority. Then somewhere along the way they decided to look for a job that allowed them to be an authority, and still be physically aggressive. And drive crazy. Surprisingly, the driving fast in a souped up cop car seems to be a big selling point.

Quote Originally Posted by cretin View Post
    I think it's awfully prejudicial to assume that all cops are racist. Kinda like saying that all teachers are stupid. It might be true, but it's not really PC to say, know what I mean?
    I agree

Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches

Quote Originally Posted by Calimoonchild View Post
    I think you also have to look at the type of person who becomes a cop. Often they dont have a college education, and if they do, its in criminal justice. And most of the cops I know became a cop after someone they loved was a victim of a crime.

Then the other people I know who became cops used to be complete hell-raisers: they partied, drove crazy, got into fights, had issues with authority. Then somewhere along the way they decided to look for a job that allowed them to be an authority, and still be physically aggressive. And drive crazy. Surprisingly, the driving fast in a souped up cop car seems to be a big selling point.
    Sad, but true. Cops tend to blur the line and confuse the need to be respected with the need to be feared. If a cop disagrees with this, then he or she hasn't been wearing their badge long enough. A lot of times, people go into law enforcement because of the need to be in control, and that's sometimes born from the fear of losing control. It's the same reason why violent criminals sometimes commit horrific acts toward other people. I find it baffling that the people who tend to gravitate towards opposite ends of the spectrum do it for the same reasons.
    Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

The job does change people, tho, as kingcap said. I've seen it plenty of times. My husband has a number of cops, and ex-cops, as graduate and PhD students and a lot of them get out of policing altogether -- sometimes their fellow officers bother them more than the bad guys -- and a few stay in and try to change things. They usually end up leaving after a while, too.

One guy told me he got out because he didn't like the person he was becoming -- he wanted to help people, not hurt them.

Quote Originally Posted by MissDecember View Post
    I'm surprised at this perception of cops as racist. I know a few cops, none racist; very good, fair-minded guys (and girl).
    All cops aren't racist. I've met some cops that are cool as hell. But the cops that I know have picked up some racist notions since they became cops.

Thread Information