Thread: Senator Pat Leahy (D-VT) calls for Hillary Clinton to drop out of the race

Hit By Ban Bus!

Default Senator Pat Leahy (D-VT) calls for Hillary Clinton to drop out of the race

Sen. Pat Leahy (D-VT) has become among the most senior Democrats to explicitly call for Sen. Hillary Clinton to drop out of the race:
    In an interview on Vermont Public Radio, said "There is no way that Senator Clinton is going to win enough delegates to get the nomination. She ought to withdraw and she ought to be backing Senator Obama. Now, obviously that's a decision that only she can make frankly I feel that she would have a tremendous career in the Senate."
    Leahy said he was fretting about the impact of the protracted Democratic race.
    "I am very concerned," he said. "John McCain, who has been making one gaffe after another, is getting a free ride because Senator Obama and Senator Clinton have to fight with each other. I think that her criticism is hurting him more than anything John McCain has said. I think that's unfortunate." Senator Leahy To Clinton: Drop Out - Politics on The Huffington Post
    Last edited by ingi; March 28th, 2008 at 02:48 PM.

"I am very concerned," he said. "John McCain, who has been making one gaffe after another, is getting a free ride on it because Senator Obama and Senator Clinton have to fight with each other. I think that her criticism is hurting him more than anything John McCain has said. I think that's unfortunate."
    Couldn't agree more. Throw in Hillary's constant praise of McCain and it just makes matters worse.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    Couldn't agree more. Throw in Hillary's constant praise of McCain and it just makes matters worse.
    Obama's been hinting at the same thing. "How can you want me for your veep when a week ago you were saying in the 3AM ad that I was unqalified?"

Quote Originally Posted by ingi View Post
    Obama's been hinting at the same thing. "How can you want me for your veep when a week ago you were saying in the 3AM ad that I was unqalified?"
    Maybe Hillary's just confused. Don't forget she did spend 8 years as First Lady dodging imaginary bullets in Bosnia and 'bringing peace' to Northern Ireland.

Quote Originally Posted by ingi View Post
    Sen. Pat Leahy (D-VT) has become among the most senior Democrats to explicitly call for Sen. Hillary Clinton to drop out of the race:
    In an interview on Vermont Public Radio, said "There is no way that Senator Clinton is going to win enough delegates to get the nomination.
    Neither side can win enough pledged delegates now.

Why is everyone so afraid of this going to the convention? It wouldn't be the first time, or even the second or third time. Perhaps all the political neophytes who are following an election for the first time aren't aware of that fact. Since 1832 the dems having been having conventions where the purpose was to decide on a candidate. Only now are people expecting it to be done so early.

Let the voters of PA, NC, IN, and the remaining states have their say in the process.

If the country is truly behind the dems, and sick of the repubs then whoever gets the nom will win. Even if they don't get the nom until the convention.
    Last edited by witchcurlgirl; March 29th, 2008 at 08:15 AM.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

It is ridiculous for him to say that Hillary should drop out because she can't reach the required number of delegates to get the nomination---neither can Obama.

It is the near constant cry of people like Leahy for Hillary to drop out that is really hurting the party. If they'd shut up and let what normally happens (a campaign) run its course, there wouldn't be near the scrutiny there has been. They are making this a circus. They are the turncoats. Apparently they choose to ignore the half of the party that has already chosen Hillary as their nominee.

I really hope she ignores these opportunists and comes out fighting. She's taken worse hits and come out still standing.
    Burt Johnson: I don't drink because drinking affects your decision-making.
    Arthur: You may be right. I can't decide.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Neither side can win enough pledged delegates now.

Why is everyone so afraid of this going to the convention? It wouldn't be the first time, or even the second or third time. Perhaps all the political neophytes who are following an election for the first time aren't aware of that fact. Since 1832 the dems having been having conventions where the purpose was to decide on a candidate. Only now are people expecting it to be done so early.

Let the voters of PA, NC, IN, and the remaining states have their say in the process.
    We didn't have superdelegates back then, they have only been in existance for recent nominating fights. I do agree about having PA, NC having their say but then perhaps have a 'mini-convention' of superdelegates in Kansas City after June 5 to get a better idea of where the 350 uncomitteds stand.

Silver Member

I part of me wishes she would drop out so this can be over ALREADY. However, if the positions were reversed, I would want Obama to stay in, so I can't really fault her or her supporters wanting her to stay in.

The Texas county and state senatorial district conventions are being held today. The results of these will show us who actually did indeed win Texas. Results at Burnt Orange Report as they come in for anyone interested.

I understand why her supporters so fervently don't want her to drop out. But I must say that all of this is not faring well for the Democratic nominee come November. McCain is gaining ground while the Democrats bicker amongst themselves. I do question what Hillary's intentions are at this point. Knowing that she has at most (statistically taken from the news outlets) a 20% chance of clinching this nomination, I almost think she's staying in this purely because of ego. Because if she truly wanted whats best for the country and her party, I'm more inclined to believe that she would withdraw and throw her support beyond Obama, who is the clear frontrunner at this point. Again, I know thats a tough pill to swallow, but I do believe it to be the best thing for the Democratic party (and this comes from an Independent). She says "I won't back down" - well, good for you, but at what cost? Its not about you anymore, but about what you state you want for the country - would she prefer to see McCain in office than Obama? Because thats kind of what I am almost starting to feel at this point.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

Quote Originally Posted by purewine View Post
    The Texas county and state senatorial district conventions are being held today. The results of these will show us who actually did indeed win Texas. Results at Burnt Orange Report as they come in for anyone interested.
    Ah thanks for posting that! Exciting.

So far, for the caucuses, its Obama 59.6% and 2,580 delegates to Clinton's 40.4% and 1,749 delegates.

And for the primary, it was Clinton 77 delegates, Obama 71 delegates.

I'd say that Obama won Texas! He picked up more delegates in Texas than Clinton.

^^If it does turn out that Obama won Texas instead of Hillary that would be hilarious.

Thread Information