Thread: Time for Barack Obama to lose Tony McPeak

Default Time for Barack Obama to lose Tony McPeak

Time to Lose McPeak

I tell pretty much anyone who asks these days that we're in the phase of the campaign I don't find especially interesting. Here, for example, are some things that got a lot of play recently which I don't care much about (and which I don't think have substantive implications for a future Clinton or Obama administration):

1.) The fact that Sam Power referred to Hillary as a "monster" and suggested that Obama's Iraq policy would depend on the circumstances he inherits rather than his campaign proposals (of course it would--any president's would);

2.) The fact that Hillary met with various pro-NAFTA groups while she was First Lady (of course she did--her husband was aggressively lobbying for the measure);

3.) The fact that Obama economic adviser Austan Goolsbee suggested to a Canadian official that Obama wouldn't be a protectionist president;

4.) The fact that Hillary didn't actually land in Tuzla amid a hail of sniper fire (would any administration have let a First Lady's plane land under such circumstances?). For what it's worth, I almost lost it last night when Chris Matthews held his 17th consecutive panel discussion on the Tuzla scandal.

Having said that, I recognize that these things often have important political consequences--entire elections have hinged on less (see Gore, Al--2000 campaign). And so, while you won't probably won't see me hyperventilating over them, I can't exactly ignore them either.

Which brings me to the latest example of something that can't be ignored, but which shouldn't make us hysterical either: Former Air Force General Tony McPeak. It was, of course, McPeak who accused former President Clinton of McCarthyite tactics last week after Clinton, referring to Hillary and John McCain, said, [i]t would be a great thing if we had an election year where you had two people who loved this country and were devoted to the interest of this country." It wasn't the most artfully worded statement in the world, but it was hardly McCarthyism. So definitely a strike against McPeak.

It was also McPeak who, back in early February, attacked Hillary in weirdly personal terms by saying his candidate "doesn't go on television and have crying fits; he isn't discovering his voice at the age of 60." So that's actually two strikes against McPeak.

Then yesterday, the Clinton campaign sent out an article from the American Spectator website* highlighting McPeak's pattern of innocuous statements about how Israel should retreat to its 1967 borders, but also quoting from an interview McPeak gave to the Portland Oregonian in 2003, in which he accused Jews in New York City and Miami of preventing the Israelis and Palestinians from making peace--a pretty dubious charge.

Do I think, as the way-over-the-top Spectator article concludes, that "Obama has a Jewish problem and McPeak's bigoted views are emblematic of what they are"? No, I don't. But I don't really trust people who complain about Jews in New York City and Miami controlling U.S. foreign policy, so in my book that's a third strike.

Which brings us back to where I started. I don't think McPeak tells us much about what kind of president Barack Obama would make. And I certainly don't think Obama endorses his views on McCarthy-ism and the outsized influence of some South Florida condo commandos. (I doubt the Obama campaign even knew about the latter before yesterday.) But I do think he's become a liability for the campaign, and that he should be canned.

--Noam Scheiber

THE NEW REPUBLIC | Blogs

I really agree with the 4 points he lists.

Power's mistake was assuming that there really is an "off the record" statement.

The Nafta lobbying by HRC makes total sense.

Of course Obama (any major candidate) would talk to Canadian officials

The Bosnia thing is a total non issue, but it distracts from real issues, which is what Americans like.
    Last edited by witchcurlgirl; March 26th, 2008 at 10:29 AM.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I love that nearly every new thread you post aims at bringing out some supposedly new and terrible side of Obama.

I also love that 'the Bosnia thing is a total non issue.' Hillary was caught in a bold-faced lie, blatantly exaggerating her trip to Bosnia. So, pray tell, how is that a non issue?

I might actually agree with the point about McPeak, if Hillary herself hadn't been going out of her way to compare Obama to Karl Rove, just because he sent out mailings in Ohio on her voting record.

Quote Originally Posted by Calimoonchild View Post
    I love that nearly every new thread you post aims at bringing out some supposedly new and terrible side of Obama.
    I love how you only have an issue with anti- Obama posts. You seem to be quite happy with the anti-Clinton posts.

There's plenty of material here with anti Clinton sentiment, like "HRC belongs to a zombie jesus cult".

Have you taken it upon yourself to scold these posters as well?
    Last edited by witchcurlgirl; March 27th, 2008 at 12:24 PM.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    I love how you only have an issue with anti- Obama posts. You seem to be quite happy with the anti-Clinton posts.
    I'm not happy with the anti-anybody posts. I hate how this board has turned into Pro / Anti-Obama and Pro / Anti-Clinton threads. There's no debate here anymore. And your constant posting of anti-Obama posts is just heaping flames on that fact. I'm not posting any pro or anti anyone posts.

And fact is, I think Clinton is a very savvy and talented US Senator. She needs to stay a US Senator. She's a micromanager. She doesn't have what it takes to be President. Thats proven by the way she ran her campaign: no gameplan after Super Tuesday.

Excuse me, I'm partial to my Clinton zombie jesus thread, thankyouverymuch. It's fucking funny as shit and one of the weirder things I've heard.

Plus, it's news. Whatever is news should get posted, not "whatever some people don't find offensive"

Dont like it, dont read it.

Besides, as soon as one of these clowns wins, there'll be a shitload of McCain bashing going around, so wtf is the difference
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Plus, it's news. Whatever is news should get posted, not "whatever some people don't find offensive"

Dont like it, dont read it.
    Thank you for putting my point more succinctly than I did- whether you meant to or not -much obliged.

I may post what I choose as long as it is within board rules, and everyone here is free to read or not read it.
    Last edited by witchcurlgirl; March 27th, 2008 at 05:08 PM.

i have a way of being blunt.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    i have a way of being blunt.
    and there my friends is the greatest understatement of the century
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Thread Information