Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barack Obama has no excuse: by Armstrong Williams

Default Barack Obama has no excuse: by Armstrong Williams

Having grown up in both the Pentecostal and Methodist faiths, Sunday worship was a staple of my weekly routine. Thus, when I relocated to Washington during the 80's finding a church home was very important to me. For almost 10 years I canvassed the nation's capitol seeking a church that would nourish my spirit and challenge my aspirations. As I tried out local churches, I began to notice a consistent theme: the sermons were highly political charged. Understandably, this being the nation’s capital, there is perhaps a heightened political awareness among the general populace. However I believed, perhaps naively, that Churches in a town mired in politics should generally steer clear of the muck and focus more closely on the personal and spiritual aspects of faith. Ministers are right to advocate for social justice as a moral imperative, but they lower the esteem of their office and do a disservice to their worshippers when the pulpit becomes host to political rallies and policy forums.

In 1995 my spirit found what it was seeking when I first visited First Baptist Church in DC, where the Rev. Frank Tucker presides. I will never forget meeting with the Pastor prior to joining and expressing my feelings about what I was looking for in a church. I made it clear that my interest was in the word of God, and not in having politics dominate the pulpit on Sunday. He shared my concerns, and promised that this wasn't the case at his church. I have now attended First Baptist for over 10 years and never been disappointed with the spirit-centered teachings. Through the years I've taken Whites, Muslims, Jews, and people of all walks of life to worship with me and they all have left feeling as if they were welcome members of the congregation.

But there are many churches across this nation, both black and white, whose pastors have taken a more radical political stance. After all, the black Church especially became home to the civil rights movement, as prominent preachers such as Martin Luther King and Ralph Abernathy began to teach a radical message of social change. The church was also one of the few places in the south where civil rights activists could gather to organize and strategize. They were places where ministers could help their congregation deal with their anger, frustration, and America’s ungodliness towards their brethren.

However, the protest politics of the civil rights era have to evolve to today’s reality of progress and opportunity. As what were once outsiders to the political process assume their rightful place as leaders in today’s society, they must be conscious of projecting an inclusive message. While freedom of speech, assembly, and the freedom of religion guarantee all Americans the choice of where to attend worship, a political candidate such as Barack Obama needs to be heedful that, should he assume leadership, he will be the leader of all of America and not just black America. He will represent the rich and the poor, the powerful and the disenfranchised alike. Thus, associating with a radical protest theology which some could construe as anti-American only serves to distance him from those he most needs to win over to his side.

Absent clear evidence to the contrary, one must assume that at least on some level Senator Barack Obama and his wife, having attended Rev. Wright's church for the past 20 years, have embraced his teachings and vision of America. I know that my minister has always had a profound impact on my outlook about life. Thus, I find it difficult to believe Senator Obama when he tells us that he was unaware of his Pastor's stance on issues of terrorism, racism and politics. Like many intellectual blacks, the Obamas and their ilk are highly aware of what they perceive as the continuous crippling effect of racism and slavery in America on their careers. The irony is that many of their children have embraced this country, finding success and prosperity, while their parents continue to allow their wounds to be nurtured in this hopeless mindset preached from the pulpit. Michelle Obama’s expression of how for the first time she was proud of America was indicative of the influence of her Pastor and this attitude among black elites in general.

Senator Obama should admit to the fact that since campaigning he’s seen a different America. He must show that he rejects and repudiates this school of negative thinking about the possibility for change in America. Furthermore he should stand above divisiveness and fractured politics and repudiate a theology which overly emphasizes the worst in our country, while ignoring the phenomenal progress we have made together. This past week was not an exemplary moment for the man who prided himself on integrity and honesty throughout this campaign. The fact is the Senator has no plausible excuse for why he remained a member of Rev. Jeremiah's church while seeking a role on the national stage. He and his family should have left the congregation for the embrace of a church that teaches the bible rather than the alienation and divisiveness.

It makes no sense for someone in search of America’s promise and potential to worship in a place where a doctrine of hatred and anti-Semitism is the central theme and members stand and applaud the pastor like a rock star. I was taught that church was a place of escape and rest, but I didn’t want to worship with someone who is supposed to be a religious leader feeding me poisonous propaganda. My reason for going to church has always been for a spiritual recharge, not more of the same. I deal with politics 24/6, and one day a week I get a chance to take a break from all that. I believe this to be healthy, and think it is sad that I had to try so hard for so long to find a church that was able to provide the rest or Sabbath, mentioned in the Bible. The day must come when churches (Black or otherwise) that preach hate speech return to the sanctity of the Word. No one should ever be forced to search for such a lengthy duration or give up and settle in a church that is unacceptable and potentially pay the price that Senator Obama is paying for imbedded cynicism.

Obama Has No Excuse - HUMAN EVENTS

Can I get an AMEN! Nice commentary, Armstrong!

Hit By Ban Bus!

March 20, 2008, 8:54 pm White House Photograph of Bill Clinton and Rev. Wright Surfaces

By Kate Phillips

Yep - that's Bill Clinton -Caught Ridin' Dirty Again!!
    "“Don’t worry, Mr. President, we won’t let those trailer-trash b##ches take you down! I’ll be your spiritual mentor! You be ridin’ dirty again in no time!”

March 20, 2008

Photograph of Bill Clinton and Rev. Wright Surfaces - The Caucus - Politics - New York Times Blog
    Last edited by ingi; March 21st, 2008 at 02:20 PM.

Like I said before, 20 seconds versus 20 years.

Read the article.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Mr. Wright was invited to the 1998 prayer breakfast, and in addition, he received a thank-you note from former President Clinton for his expressions of support about six weeks later.

According to an account by James Bennet, former White House correspondent who has since left The Times:
    With tears in his eyes, President Clinton told a roomful of clerics this morning that he had sinned, speaking just hours before the world was presented a painstaking account by prosecutors of when, where and how.
    Addressing an annual prayer breakfast at the White House, Mr. Clinton drew on the New Testament, the Yom Kippur liturgy and Ernest Hemingway as he made his most abject confession yet of personal failure, while declaring that he would defend and redeem his Presidency.
    ‘’I don’t think there is a fancy way to say that I have sinned,'’ he admitted softly, saying that after resisting expressions of contrition he had reached ‘’the rock-bottom truth of where I am.'’
    For the first time, Mr. Clinton also asked for forgiveness from Monica S. Lewinsky, on the day that the details of their intimate relationship — details that he had denied and struggled to suppress — poured out through the Internet, whose wonders as a tool of communication he has so often extolled.
    TESTING OF A PRESIDENT: THE PRESIDENT; Tearful Clinton Tells Group Of Clerics, 'I Have Sinned' - New York Times

20 seconds versus 20 years.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Obama camp: Clinton would be 'deeply flawed' nominee

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com /

(CNN) — The Obama campaign launched some of its sharpest attacks to date on Hillary Clinton's candidacy Friday, telling reporters on a conference call that the New York senator is a dishonest politician who has consistently misled voters.

Referencing a new Gallup Poll suggesting 53 percent of Americans don't view Clinton as trustworthy, Obama campaign manager David Plouffe said Clinton would be a "deeply flawed nominee," and suggested it would be "nearly impossible" for her to win a general election. "She is not seen as trustworthy by the American people," Plouffe said. "She has consistently in this campaign engaged in political calculation to mislead voters….It will nearly be impossible to win a general election if more than half the electorate thinks you're untrustworthy."
    Last edited by ingi; March 21st, 2008 at 02:50 PM.

So are you going to actually read the article I posted, or keep spamming threads with no-related material?

Hit By Ban Bus!

How can Hillary people explain Rev. Wright SITTING RIGHT NEXT TO HER at the prayer breakfast!

i feel like i';m watching a tennis match
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

This whole campaign on all sides and all parties has turned into one big f**king clusterf**k and a farce.

What an embarrassment to the world which we can least afford due to our current administration.

Considering that Armstrong Williams is a conservative who was PAID by the Bush administration to back Bush's education program, which led to his syndication deal with various African-American & mainstream publications being terminated, since he failed to disclose the money he got from Bush, I'd say his opinion against Obama is skewed to the right-wing

Quote Originally Posted by ingi View Post
    March 20, 2008, 8:54 pm White House Photograph of Bill Clinton and Rev. Wright Surfaces

By Kate Phillips

Yep - that's Bill Clinton -Caught Ridin' Dirty Again!!
    "“Don’t worry, Mr. President, we won’t let those trailer-trash b##ches take you down! I’ll be your spiritual mentor! You be ridin’ dirty again in no time!”

March 20, 2008

Photograph of Bill Clinton and Rev. Wright Surfaces - The Caucus - Politics - New York Times Blog
    I can't wait to hear how the 'Obama is a racist' people spin this one. Because if Obama is a racist for attending Wright's sermons, then what does that make Bill Clinton for inviting this 'racist, America-hating' man to the White House?

And according to Bill's letter, Wright didn't spew any racism about white people and hatred of America to him.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I wonder what Rev. Wright was talking to Hilly about that morning!

SO, Kingcap, 'right-wingers' can't have an opinion, especially if they have worked with the Bush Admin? Good grief. What a load of crap.

working for bush pretty much negates any expectation of unbiased opinion.

it pretty much negates a lot of things.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

^^Riiiggghhhtttt. So, basically, only those who carry the same political torch as you have a valid opinion on this subject, let alone any subject.

How wonderfully tolerant of you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information