Thread: Five years after starting the Iraq War, Bush has no regrets

Default Five years after starting the Iraq War, Bush has no regrets

Five years on, Bush says no regrets on Iraq war
    By Matt Spetalnick

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President George W. Bush said on Wednesday he had no regrets about the unpopular war in Iraq despite the "high cost in lives and treasure" and declared that the United States was on track for a major victory there.

Marking the fifth anniversary of the U.S.-led invasion with a touch of the swagger he showed early in the war, Bush said in a speech at the Pentagon, "The successes we are seeing in Iraq are undeniable."

With less than 11 months left in office and his approval ratings near the lows of his presidency, Bush is trying to shore up support for the Iraq campaign, which has damaged U.S. credibility abroad and is sure to define his legacy.

But he faced the challenge of winning the attention of Americans more preoccupied with mounting economic troubles and increasingly focused on the race to pick his successor in the November election.

Bush's Democratic critics used the anniversary as a chance to reassert accusations that Bush launched the invasion based on faulty intelligence, mismanaged the war and failed to put together an exit strategy.

"Five years into this battle, there is an understandable debate over whether the war was worth fighting, whether the fight is worth winning, and whether we can win it," Bush said.

"The answers are clear to me: Removing Saddam Hussein from power was the right decision, and this is a fight America can and must win," he said.

Appealing to war-weary Americans for patience, Bush touted the security gains from a troop buildup or "surge" that he ordered early last year. He said retreat now would embolden al Qaeda and Iran.

"The surge has done more than turn the situation in Iraq around -- it has opened the door to a major strategic victory in the broader war on terror," Bush said, referring to increased cooperation of Iraqi Sunnis in fighting al Qaeda.

Such an assertion could come back to haunt Bush if the situation deteriorates. War critics have roundly mocked Bush for his premature declaration in May 2003 that "major combat operations" in Iraq were over as he stood on the USS Abraham Lincoln under a banner reading "Mission Accomplished."

Possibly mindful of that, Bush said, "No one would argue that this war has not come at a high cost in lives and treasure, but those costs are necessary when we consider the cost of a strategic victory for our enemies in Iraq," he said.

Not all anniversary assessments were as upbeat as Bush's. A Washington Post-ABC News poll showed nearly two-thirds of Americans believe the war was not worth waging.

Told about the poll result in an interview with ABC's "Good Morning America," Vice President Dick Cheney, in Oman after a visit to Iraq, said: "So?" He added: "I think we cannot be blown off course by the fluctuations of the public opinion polls."

The war has cost the United States $500 billion. Tens of thousands of Iraqis have been killed and millions displaced. Nearly 4,000 U.S. soldiers have been killed, as well as 175 British troops and 134 from other countries.

(Reporting by Matt Spetalnick; Editing by Patricia Wilson and avid Storey)
    Five years on, Bush again talks of Iraq victory - Yahoo! News

There are no words.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Five years on, Bush says no regrets on Iraq war
    By Matt Spetalnick

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President George W. Bush said on Wednesday he had no regrets about the unpopular war in Iraq despite the "high cost in lives and treasure" and declared that the United States was on track for a major victory there. ( when will that be kicking in? 15 out of 18 benchmarks for 'the surge' have failed, Iraq's government is no closer to being coherent or running the country, electricity and water is spotty at best, and sectarian violence continues)

Marking the fifth anniversary of the U.S.-led invasion with a touch of the swagger he showed early in the war, Bush said in a speech at the Pentagon, "The successes we are seeing in Iraq are undeniable."(15 out of 18 benchmarks HAVE NOT BEEN MET, nothing is happening!)

With less than 11 months left in office and his approval ratings near the lows of his presidency, Bush is trying to shore up support for the Iraq campaign, which has damaged U.S. credibility abroad and is sure to define his legacy.

But he faced the challenge of winning the attention of Americans more preoccupied with mounting economic troubles and increasingly focused on the race to pick his successor in the November election.

Bush's Democratic critics used the anniversary as a chance to reassert accusations that Bush launched the invasion based on faulty intelligence, mismanaged the war and failed to put together an exit strategy.

"Five years into this battle, there is an understandable debate over whether the war was worth fighting, whether the fight is worth winning, and whether we can win it," Bush said.(don't forget if you lied to invade, flouted international law, tortured people, called anybody who didnt support it 'unpatriotic' and other bullshit)

"The answers are clear to me: Removing Saddam Hussein from power was the right decision, and this is a fight America can and must win," he said. (If it was "so right" you wouldnt have needed to lie to do it. But hey, removing some guy from power that was absolutely no threat to the US or its interests, had no weapons, had no facilities for making them, or plans doesn't NEED a reason, does it. Such a fucking retard, along with anybody who believed you.)

Appealing to war-weary Americans for patience, Bush touted the security gains from a troop buildup or "surge" that he ordered early last year. He said retreat now would embolden al Qaeda and Iran.( oh god, STILL trottign out that "embolden" shit? Iran is already emboldened, Al Qaeda is MORe emboldened thanks to you and you didnt even finish the job in afghanistan. How much more patience is required? 5 years is a wee bit long, WW2 didn't go on much longer than that!)

"The surge has done more than turn the situation in Iraq around -- it has opened the door to a major strategic victory in the broader war on terror," Bush said, referring to increased cooperation of Iraqi Sunnis in fighting al Qaeda.(1. You're PAYING them to, how many hundreds of billions has simply vanished in Iraq? 2. the government is NOT FUNCTIONAL and the surge has failed in its goal of letting the government establish itself, 3. fuck you and your idiot 'war on terror'. There's no such fucking thing. It's a smokescreen.)

Such an assertion could come back to haunt Bush if the situation deteriorates. War critics have roundly mocked Bush for his premature declaration in May 2003 that "major combat operations" in Iraq were over as he stood on the USS Abraham Lincoln under a banner reading "Mission Accomplished."

Possibly mindful of that, Bush said, "No one would argue that this war has not come at a high cost in lives and treasure, but those costs are necessary when we consider the cost of a strategic victory for our enemies in Iraq," he said. (what enemies? Al Qaeda? they werent there before YOu fucked everything up and even now only account for 2% of the violence according to your own generals.)

Not all anniversary assessments were as upbeat as Bush's. A Washington Post-ABC News poll showed nearly two-thirds of Americans believe the war was not worth waging.

Told about the poll result in an interview with ABC's "Good Morning America," Vice President Dick Cheney, in Oman after a visit to Iraq, said: "So?" He added: "I think we cannot be blown off course by the fluctuations of the public opinion polls."(we're not gonna let some pissant voting public tell me where to dig for my oil!)

The war has cost the United States $500 billion. Tens of thousands of Iraqis have been killed and millions displaced. Nearly 4,000 U.S. soldiers have been killed, as well as 175 British troops and 134 from other countries.
    Retards. All of them.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Nearly 4,000 troops killed..30,000 wounded, and this asshole has no regrets!!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

What Grim said.

oh SURPRISE< Bin Laden is going to release a new video! HOW CONVENIENT! just in time to shore up support for McCain.

LAME LAME LAME.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Bush and Co will get theirs, from the angry public and familes of dead soilders and citzens. They'll get theirs.

I think we should send Bush and his entire cabinet into Iraq, and see how the fuck they like it.

I. Hate. This. Bitch.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Gold Member

Maybe not. But the majority of the country regrets than this a*****e was ever President.

Thread Information