Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28

Thread: Geraldine Ferraro race-baits for Hillary Clinton again, in resignation letter

  1. #1
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    135

    Default Geraldine Ferraro race-baits for Hillary Clinton again, in resignation letter

    From CNN:

    Geraldine Ferraro has stepped down from her role as a member of Hillary Clinton's finance committee. In a letter to Clinton obtained by CNN's Suzanne Malveaux who spoke with the former vice presidential candidate shortly after she sent it to Clinton Ferraro said she is stepping down so, "I can speak for myself and you can continue to speak for yourself about what is at stake in this campaign."
    Full letter:
    Dear Hillary
    I am stepping down from your finance committee so I can speak for myself and you can continue to speak for yourself about what is at stake in this campaign.
    The Obama campaign is attacking me to hurt you. I won't let that happen.
    Thank you for everything you have done and continue to do to make this a better world for my children and grandchildren.
    You have my deep admiration and respect.
    Gerry

  2. #2
    Hit By Ban Bus!
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,932

    Default

    i guess the resignation battle is even now...

  3. #3
    Silver Member LastLook's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    563

    Default

    ^^How on earth can any of that be construed as race-baiting? Because the rival whose campaign she mentions happens to be black?

    So I guess it's out of the question that his campaign might be out to win, or God forbid use tactics that are typical of an ambitious politician, because he happens to be black?

    I honestly don't understand this logic. Seems to me the media and his backers keep using race as an "out," when what they should be doing is ignoring such allusions altogether and addressing issues based on him as an individual (with free will, no less!). And don't say they can't---the media have been more than fair with him. He can afford to stay positive thus far.
    Burt Johnson: I don't drink because drinking affects your decision-making.
    Arthur: You may be right. I can't decide.

  4. #4
    Elite Member *DIVA!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    15,742

    Default

    ^^You have got to be kidding me. His campaign has never played the race card, they all came from Clinton's campaign surrogates because 1. she can't do it herself, and 2. it is working in areas that aren't to racist to be republicans, and who aren't that liberal and forward thinking to vote for a black man!! So, not only has Hillary and her ilk played the race card, they've played the gender card, the my husband cheated on me feel sorry for me card, he is a muslim card, and the everyone is picking on me card! I could add she has played the crazy Sybil card, but I don't want to come off as a self women hater who bashes her own gender...
    Last edited by *DIVA!; March 12th, 2008 at 10:00 PM.
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

    I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

  5. #5
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    135

    Default

    I love how Geraldine has branded herself the victim here.

    I think there is a perception among older women that they are somehow owed this Presidency because of all those years of oppression they spent under evil men.

    Well newsflash Hillary and Geraldine: you are not the only ones suffering. In the Victim Olympics, older rich powerful Caucasian women like Geraldine Ferraro and her ilk will lose hands-down to a black man of mixed parentage from a single-parent household.

  6. #6
    Silver Member LastLook's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    563

    Default

    ^I don't think there is a perception that older women are "owed" anything, other than the right to ask valid questions, and have them answered!!!

    And so now we are voting based on who's the most deserving "victim?"

    Of course not. Far too much is at stake, and that would be really stupid besides, considering it makes no logical sense. Plus, isn't the ultimate goal equality anyway? As Eleanor Roosevelt once said, "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." So I wish they'd all shut up about race and gender-baiting and focus on the pertinent points that are gonna matter if they get the job.
    Burt Johnson: I don't drink because drinking affects your decision-making.
    Arthur: You may be right. I can't decide.

  7. #7
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1,100

    Default

    This campaign does seem to be bringing out the continuing racial divide in the US. I looked at the results of the Mississippi primary yesterday, and yet again 90% of black voters supported their own, and the vote was really split upon racial lines. It seemed interesting to me that whites in a state with a high black population seemed less likely to vote for a black candidate than whites who live in states with low black populations. Maybe it makes more sense because those whites experience the racial tensions, whereas whites in states like Iowa are oblivious to it.

  8. #8
    Elite Member kingcap72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    10 miles from Pootie Tang
    Posts
    21,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LastLook View Post
    ^^How on earth can any of that be construed as race-baiting? Because the rival whose campaign she mentions happens to be black?

    So I guess it's out of the question that his campaign might be out to win, or God forbid use tactics that are typical of an ambitious politician, because he happens to be black?

    I honestly don't understand this logic. Seems to me the media and his backers keep using race as an "out," when what they should be doing is ignoring such allusions altogether and addressing issues based on him as an individual (with free will, no less!). And don't say they can't---the media have been more than fair with him. He can afford to stay positive thus far.
    Because Ferraro made it a point to say that Obama wouldn't be where he is if he wasn't a black male. And then went on to say that if he was a female, of any color, he wouldn't be where he's at. Which is stupid, considering that Hillary, a woman, is almost even with Obama. So, how is it NOT considered race-baiting?

    But I'm curious, if somebody black in Obama's camp had come out and said that Hillary wouldn't be where she's at if she wasn't a white woman, would you still not consider that race-baiting.

    And how are Obama and the media using race as an out, when it's Hillary and her camp that keep making race an issue? That logic doesn't make any sense.

  9. #9
    Silver Member LastLook's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    563

    Default

    The title of the thread states that Ferraro race-baits "again" in her resignation letter. That's what I was referring to. I fail to see it.

    As to your question "if somebody black in Obama's camp had come out and said that Hillary wouldn't be where she's at if she wasn't a white woman, would you still not consider that race-baiting." If they made an issue out of her race, or gender, yes that would be an attempt at race/gender-baiting. In her specific case, though, the demographics don't play out as strongly, because whites and women aren't supporting her by margins of 90% to 10%. And that's just a demographic truth, not any type of racist slur. I think that's where Ferraro was attempting to go with her misconstrued statements.
    Burt Johnson: I don't drink because drinking affects your decision-making.
    Arthur: You may be right. I can't decide.

  10. #10
    Elite Member kingcap72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    10 miles from Pootie Tang
    Posts
    21,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LastLook View Post
    The title of the thread states that Ferraro race-baits "again" in her resignation letter. That's what I was referring to. I fail to see it.

    As to your question "if somebody black in Obama's camp had come out and said that Hillary wouldn't be where she's at if she wasn't a white woman, would you still not consider that race-baiting." If they made an issue out of her race, or gender, yes that would be an attempt at race/gender-baiting. In her specific case, though, the demographics don't play out as strongly, because whites and women aren't supporting her by margins of 90% to 10%. And that's just a demographic truth, not any type of racist slur. I think that's where Ferraro was attempting to go with her misconstrued statements.
    That's exactly what Ferraro did. She stated that his race was the primary reason why he was where he was. When you say that a candidate's race, or gender, is the key to their success, you're race and gender baiting. There's no two ways about it.

    And, true, blacks are supporting Obama in large numbers. But the black voters have only really helped Obama in states with large black populations, like in the south, while Hillary is winning the bulk of the white vote in the south. And both Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton ran for president, and neither of them got the level of support from black voters that Obama is getting, simply because neither of them were considered viable candidates the way Obama is.

    And when Bill Clinton ran for president, he was getting the same support from the black community. Oh, and by the way, when Hillary first ran for the Senate, she got over 90% of the black vote. And last time I checked neither Bill or Hillary were black. Black voters, like any other demographic, will turn out in large numbers to support the candidate that they want to support, regardless of race, if they think the candidate is viable.

  11. #11
    Elite Member witchcurlgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Acerbia
    Posts
    33,488

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    Oh, and by the way, when Hillary first ran for the Senate, she got over 90% of the black vote.
    That statistic doesn't apply in the current dem primary.

    When Clinton ran for the Senate she was a dem, running against a repub.

    First it was Giuliani, who was fairly disliked (and I'm being nice, hated would be a bettr word)by the NY black community, and then it was Rick Lazio who replaced giuliani when he dropped out.

    It would have been much more shocking if more than 10% of NY blacks had voted for the Repub candidate
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone


    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.


    If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

  12. #12
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    135

    Default

    Black people are entitled to vote for Barack Obama simply because Obama is black.

    Since 1868, just 121 black people have been voted into Congress. Black people do not have enough political representation and they have experienced the bulk of racism in America.

    I think that there's a lot of pressure on black people right now to come off as impartial and unbiased in picking a candidate.

    I don't think black people owe it to anybody to be objective in who they elect.

    Why don't people ever demand that rich white conservatives be more objective?

    Why do rich white conservatives get to automatically vote again and again for candidates who will lower their estate, capital gains and income taxes even if it is to the detriment of the rest of the nation and nobody ever demands that they be objective and unbiased in picking a candidate?

    It's a good thing for black people to vote in such large numbers for Obama. The fact that their united support has made such a huge difference to his campaign shows the political powers that their collective vote is significant. And that together, they make up a powerful voting bloc even if they may not have much economic power.

    And nobody told the millions of white racist ignorant cruel rednecks voting for racist ignorant cruel rednecks like Strom Thurmond and Jesse Helms that it was wrong to vote for them just because they too were white racist ignorant cruel rednecks.

    When black people do it, it's called being a politically correct wuss and unfair and biased.

    When white conservatives do it, it's called fighting off dangerous radicals.

  13. #13
    Elite Member yanna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    9,774

    Default

    I guess some people read between the lines much better than me because I don't see how she race-baits again with this short note of resignation...

  14. #14
    Elite Member witchcurlgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Acerbia
    Posts
    33,488

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elyse View Post
    Black people are entitled to vote for Barack Obama simply because Obama is black.
    This could possibly be the silliest statement I have read today.

    Black people-all people in fact, are entitled to vote for whomever they choose. But voting for any candidate based on what they are is dumb. A candidate should get your vote because you feel they best represent you on issues. Not because they are black, white, male, female, Democrat, Republican.

    Anyone who makes up their mind without looking at issues is a fool.

    Quote Originally Posted by Elyse View Post
    I don't think black people owe it to anybody to be objective in who they elect.
    They owe it to themselves. All thinking voters do.

    Quote Originally Posted by Elyse View Post
    Why do rich white conservatives get to automatically vote again and again for candidates who will lower their estate, capital gains and income taxes even if it is to the detriment of the rest of the nation and nobody ever demands that they be objective and unbiased in picking a candidate?
    "Rich white conservatives" vote based on their issues, which is why they choose candidates that lower taxes. Taxes matter to them.

    You decide what issues matter to you, and then you do your best to find a candidate with the same view.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone


    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.


    If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

  15. #15
    Elite Member kingcap72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    10 miles from Pootie Tang
    Posts
    21,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    That statistic doesn't apply in the current dem primary.

    When Clinton ran for the Senate she was a dem, running against a repub.

    First it was Giuliani, who was fairly disliked (and I'm being nice, hated would be a bettr word)by the NY black community, and then it was Rick Lazio who replaced giuliani when he dropped out.

    It would have been much more shocking if more than 10% of NY blacks had voted for the Repub candidate
    The point of that statistic is to show that black voters will come out and vote in large numbers for a candidate, regardless of race.

    And when Hillary ran for the Senate, Bill was still riding high on his support with the black community, so it wasn't a shock that black voters, who turned out in large numbers to vote for him, turned out in large numbers and voted for his wife.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Geraldine Ferraro criticizes Barack Obama on Bill O'Reilly's show
    By Elyse in forum U.S. Politics and Issues
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: March 12th, 2008, 11:30 PM
  2. Geraldine Ferraro: Oops I said it BEFORE!! Black man flashback!!
    By *DIVA! in forum U.S. Politics and Issues
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: March 12th, 2008, 11:21 PM
  3. Hillary Clinton under pressure to quit White House race
    By kingcap72 in forum U.S. Politics and Issues
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: March 3rd, 2008, 12:31 PM
  4. MSNBC's anchor's Chelsea Clinton comment angers Hillary Clinton
    By celeb_2006 in forum U.S. Politics and Issues
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: February 13th, 2008, 06:02 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: January 22nd, 2008, 03:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •