Thread: Top Hillary campaigner defends attacks on Obama, says she is attacked for being white

Bronze Member

Default Top Hillary campaigner defends attacks on Obama, says she is attacked for being white

Ferraro defends controversial attacks on Obama:

"Any time anybody does anything that in any way pulls this campaign down and says let's address reality and the problems we're facing in this world, you're accused of being racist, so you have to shut up," [Geraldine] Ferraro said. "Racism works in two different directions. I really think they're attacking me because I'm white. How's that?"

No Geraldine, they are attacking you because you are coming off as a bitter old bitch.. You are Hillary's idol, aren't you!! Women card is being played hard!! Absurd!!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Bronze Member

I just wonder how much Hillary can count on the 'black vote' any more.

If she gets to be the nominee, I wonder how many people, particularly black people, will want to vote for her.

Between Bill's rants in SC and her bullshit, I doubt that Bill is going to be revered universally as the first black President that much longer.

Well, I can't stay home if it's her vs. McCain come November 4th! But, trust me it will be hard for me to do that. However, I think I might be in the minority in my own race of people, some or a lot might stay HOME!! This shit with Ferraro plus the SC thing, then the VP offer when she is the one in the number two spot is are hard pill to swallow coming from the Clintons...
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Ferraro has defended and expanded on her statements:

Ferraro said she was simply stating an obvious truth, as seen in exit polls that show Obama taking as much as 80 percent of the black vote in the Democratic primaries.

"In all honesty, do you think that if he were a white male, there would be a reason for the black community to get excited for a historic first?" Ferraro said. "Am I pointing out something that doesn't exist?"

Obama campaign manager David Axelrod called Ferraro's comments part of an "insidious pattern" of remarks from Clinton supporters that have drawn attention to Obama's race.

"When you wink and nod at offensive statements, you're really sending a signal to your supporters that anything goes," Axelrod said, according to ABC News.

Ferraro said the Clinton campaign cannot fire her because she is not an adviser.

"It's impossible to fire somebody who's not involved with it," she said.

She also said she is familiar with Axelrod from his work for minority candidates in New York.

"He knows damn well that the best thing to do in a situation like this is to come back and hit with race," Ferraro said, adding that the response is a sign that the Obama campaign is "worried" about the first-term senator's lack of experience.

Ferraro said she was not trying to diminish Obama's candidacy, and acknowledged up front that she would not have been the vice presidential nominee in 1984 if she had been a man.

But she also echoed remarks of feminist leaders like Gloria Steinem, who argued in the New York Times that Obama would not have succeeded if he were a woman because gender is "the most restricting force in American life."

"Sexism is a bigger problem," Ferraro argued. "It's OK to be sexist in some people's minds. It's not OK to be racist."
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

She is racist and that is it..and the Clinton camp is defending her and likes what she is doing it!!
    I will respect her because she is sick..but fuck her and Hillary..Racist Bitches!!

ETA: And yes I can call them that..because if you want to talk about a group of people who have struggled the most without whining, crying, using their husband's name to win an election...black women!! So fuck the 'all women stick together' bs that keeps coming from the Clinton side, because I am not buying it! I have lost the last little respect I had for you. I am sorry I started out this Presidential campaign as a supporter for you. I am sorry that I went to your rallies here in MD last summer. I am sorry Hillary that I ever bought your shit, but fuck you TOO!! My black ass is staying home in November!! That lapdog of yours that you sent out to release that message, now makes Condi Rice look like that pretzal Bush choked on instead of his personal lapdog!!!!
    Last edited by *DIVA!; March 11th, 2008 at 07:54 PM.
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

Ms Ferraro has also spoken with The NY Times:

Reached at her home Tuesday evening, Ms. Ferraro said that in her original remarks, she was asked why there was so much excitement about Mr. Obama’s candidacy. “And I said, ‘I think part of it is because he’s black,’” she said. “People are excited about this historic candidacy. I am too."

But the Obama campaign “twisted” her remarks, she said. “Every time that campaign is upset about something, they call it racist,” she said. “I will not be discriminated against because I’m white. If they think they’re going to shut up Geraldine Ferraro with that kind of stuff, they don’t know me.”

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

They really really really need to stop playing the race card. Hillary brings in a huge percentage of the women vote, but I don't see anyone saying that she's riding the backs of only women to the Presidency. People like this really make me sick, I have no idea why she wanted to go public with this. Dumb bitch. Me and my white friends are backing Obama, so go figure. Obama sits very pretty with the educated liberals and young vote as well, but yet that demographic seems to be overlooked, and they make it entirely about the black vote.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post

Reached at her home Tuesday evening, Ms. Ferraro said that in her original remarks, she was asked why there was so much excitement about Mr. Obama’s candidacy. “And I said, ‘I think part of it is because he’s black,’” she said. “People are excited about this historic candidacy. I am too."

But the Obama campaign “twisted” her remarks, she said. “Every time that campaign is upset about something, they call it racist,” she said. “I will not be discriminated against because I’m white. If they think they’re going to shut up Geraldine Ferraro with that kind of stuff, they don’t know me.”
    They didn't twist her words, she posted those fucking words on-line. She is lying! And dammit 'we aren't lucky'!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post

I guess it escaped her notice that Hillary's candidacy is historic, too? And how can somebody have twisted her words? And it's funny that she wants to claim she's being attacked for being white, when she was the one that said that Obama wouldn't be where he was if he wasn't black. You can't throw down the race card against somebody, and then turn around and cry discrimination. That didn't work when Isiah Washington tried it, and it won't work for Ferraro.

But the more she keeps shooting her mouth off, the more damage she's going to do to Hillary's campaign. Which, actually, may be what she has planned, since she's probably still pissed that her run to the White House fizzled out. Just like Jesse Jackson is still pissed at Obama for being a more viable candidate than he was.

"Racism works in two different directions. I really think they're attacking me because I'm white. How's that?"

I guess no one picked up on the fact that her statement was rhetorical and tinged with sarcasm.

It illustrates her very point---if she played the race card, people would call her absurd and brush it off indignantly---whereas Obama's camp cries foul racially at every other turn and it's accepted as base truth without further examination. To the exclusion of valid discussion of other relevant issues that are very important to the future of our country!

So he's black. Ok. We get that. When is he going to stop whining and start acting like a leader when faced with words/things that he doesn't like? It only gets tougher from here. And when are people going to stop being sidetracked by manipulated soundbites chosen solely for their ability to elicit some kind of emotional response (to distract us), and say "Nice try. Tell me more about your plan for xyz." ???
    Burt Johnson: I don't drink because drinking affects your decision-making.
    Arthur: You may be right. I can't decide.

Maybe he'll stop whining about being black when Hillary stops whining about being a woman.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by LastLook View Post
    "Racism works in two different directions. I really think they're attacking me because I'm white. How's that?"

I guess no one picked up on the fact that her statement was rhetorical and tinged with sarcasm.

It illustrates her very point---if she played the race card, people would call her absurd and brush it off indignantly---whereas Obama's camp cries foul racially at every other turn and it's accepted as base truth without further examination. To the exclusion of valid discussion of other relevant issues that are very important to the future of our country!

So he's black. Ok. We get that. When is he going to stop whining and start acting like a leader when faced with words/things that he doesn't like? It only gets tougher from here. And when are people going to stop being sidetracked by manipulated soundbites chosen solely for their ability to elicit some kind of emotional response (to distract us), and say "Nice try. Tell me more about your plan for xyz." ???
    Yes, her sarcasm seems to have gone right over some people's heads.

She has a valid point, that is not "racist". Its clearly there in her statements. But of course many people cannot use logic, they use emotion.

There is still sexism in this country, and in this campaign. And sadly, I see a lot of it from women.

Her original quote was:
    "I think what America feels about a woman becoming president takes a very secondary place to Obama's campaign - to a kind of campaign that it would be hard for anyone to run against," she said. "For one thing, you have the press, which has been uniquely hard on her. It's been a very sexist media. Some just don't like her. The others have gotten caught up in the Obama campaign.

"If Obama was a white man, he would not be in this position," she continued. "And if he was a woman (of any color) he would not be in this position. He happens to be very lucky to be who he is. And the country is caught up in the concept." Ferraro does not buy the notion of Obama as the great reconciler.

"I was reading an article that said young Republicans are out there campaigning for Obama because they believe he's going to be able to put an end to partisanship," Ferraro said, clearly annoyed. "Dear God! Anyone that has worked in the Congress knows that for over 200 years this country has had partisanship - that's the way our country is."

Quote Originally Posted by LastLook View Post

I'll admit that Ferraro was probably being sarcastic when she said that she was being attacked for being white. I should've caught that.

And how is Obama whining about being black? Because the last time I checked the people that keep bringing the race card into this campaign have been Hillary, Bill, and some of her political supporters like Jesse Jackson and now Ferraro. Now if Obama calls people out on playing the race card with him that's not whining. If Obama and his supporters were constantly making an issue out of Hillary's gender then she'd be within her rights to call them out on it, too. Because neither your race or gender determine your fitness to be president. Although Hillary seems to think that her gender should require all females to vote for her out of 'sisterhood.'

And considering that Hillary can't even fight her own political battles without Bill by her side or she's constantly playing the 'victim card,' saying Obama needs to stop whining is laughable.

But I find it funny that the Clinton camp never felt the need to make Obama's race and issue until he started to steal Hillary's thunder and started to become the frontrunner. Prior to that, you never heard anybody in the Clinton camp make Obama's race an issue.

I expect the race-baiting to come from the Republicans, that's a given, but not from Democrats, who are in the same party as Obama. I guess the Hillary camp hasn't learned from Bill Clinton's blunder in South Carolina. When you play the race card against Obama it blows up in your face.

But, in a way, I'm glad that Hillary's camp is using Republican-style tactics. Because if Obama gets the nomination, then he's going to have to be battle-tested to face the Republicans.

Thread Information