Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bush officially endorses McCain, hopefully killing any chance of success

Default Bush officially endorses McCain, hopefully killing any chance of success

I'm not naive. I know a lot of politicking goes on at the White House. But, to use the White House as a backdrop for a partisan political endorsement seems wrong.

But that's what's happening today according to AP:

Presumptive Republican presidential nominee John McCain has an appointment Wednesday with President Bush at the White House for lunch _ and a Bush endorsement.

Once McCain's bitter primary rival himself, the president is rolling out the red carpet. There'll be a formal welcome at the North Portico, followed by lunch in Bush's private dining room and a formal endorsement in the Rose Garden.

I just don't remember such a blatant political campaign event being held there. They're treating McCain like he's a head of state instead of the head of the GOP. It's just one more way for Bush to show his contempt for the White House.

It was the Republicans who made such a big deal during the 90s when the Clintons used the White House for political events. Janet Reno almost had to appoint an independent counsel to shut them up. But, now, under Bush, it's okay.

One thing is clear. With McCain as the nominee, it's business as usual for the GOP. The event is a symbol that a McCain White House would be the same as the Bush White House.

AMERICAblog: A great nation deserves the truth
    Kiss of death! Kiss of death!
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

It was the Republicans who made such a big deal during the 90s when the Clintons used the White House for political events.
    And not only is Bush doing it, he's openly flaunting it. He has zero respect for the position he holds, nor does he give recognition to his own hypocracy.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Well, I hate Bush and I am no McCain fan, but it was a dicky move on GWB's part not to endorse him sooner.

As President GWB is figurehead of the Repub party, and not giving McCain his endorsement was wrong.

This article is total BS, because thats the way it works here in the US, an incumbent president who isn't running for re-election gives his endorsement to someone in his party.

John Aravosis knows better
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

that's not the issue, the issue was he used the White House as a prop and that's apparently not allowed.. kinda like using military members in full uniform at press conferences and such.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

McCain will NOT win this election, he just won't. And the Bush endorsement is a kiss of death.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    that's not the issue, the issue was he used the White House as a prop and that's apparently not allowed.. .
    It's not forbidden, just not in the best taste. But I stopped expecting good taste from this adminstration a long time ago.

Other sitting presidents have done the same thing though. Americablog conveniently phrases it as "I just don't remember such a blatant political campaign event being held there", which is code for it's happened before, but I don't remember it. Which means if someone calls him on it, he's covered because he didn't say it did not happen before, just that he doesn't remember.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

So I'm driving down Memorial yesterday and the day before and there are these people holding banners and stuff and they give me some papers... the stuff basically says that McCain isn't really going to run for president and that Bloomberg is going to step in... hmmmm. Kind of like it's planned for McCain to fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Kill Me View Post
    So I'm driving down Memorial yesterday and the day before and there are these people holding banners and stuff and they give me some papers... the stuff basically says that McCain isn't really going to run for president and that Bloomberg is going to step in... hmmmm. Kind of like it's planned for McCain to fail.
    Well Hillary/Obama supporters better hope this scenario is true. I mean, McCain is struggling with conservatives and many will go third party rather than vote for him. But if Bloomie gets in, I'd bet hardly any republican would vote for him. Why? Because he's not a republican. He's a democrat with an R behind his name.

It would be a race between two democrats. Besides, I highly, HIGHLY doubt Bloomberg would be the presumptive nominee if McCain suddenly drops. It will go back to the delegate count and would be Huckabee (God help us all) or Romney, In which case, the GOP will erupt, and basically, destroy itself. In fact, I firmly believe the GOP already has destroyed itself. But I digress...

Quote Originally Posted by tkdgirl View Post
    Well Hillary/Obama supporters better hope this scenario is true. I mean, McCain is struggling with conservatives and many will go third party rather than vote for him.

Which third party candidate do you think conservatives will go for?

I'm wondering something.. if , in a 2 party system, one of the sides drops dead (like from advanced age) during an election.. wtf then? lol

Who do you think McCain will pick as his running mate?

Oh, and in case you didn't hear, Huckabee dropped out...haha

*both Bush's AND McCain's popularity prepair their swan songs*
    "In the face of the blinding sun, I wake only to find
    that Heaven is a stranger place than than one I've left behind." - SM

Quote Originally Posted by sluce
    Who do you think McCain will pick as his running mate?
    Not Chuck Hagel this time. I think Obama might give him a nice, long look, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie Normos View Post
    *both Bush's AND McCain's popularity prepair their swan songs*
    Does Bush have any popularity now?
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Yes - I believe that about 19% of the population still like him. Most are institutionalized, but hey....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information