Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hillary Clinton takes Ohio -- easily. Whoohoo!!!!

Default Hillary Clinton takes Ohio -- easily. Whoohoo!!!!

Welcome to Herald Sun. Sttp://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,23323634-5005961,00.html
    Hillary Clinton wins Ohio

By Lincoln Archer and wires
    March 05, 2008 03:03pm

HILLARY Clinton has taken a huge step towards staying alive in the US presidential race with a crucial win in the Ohio primary on what has been dubbed "Super Tuesday II".
    The results in Texas are still too close to call. Senator Clinton had gone into today's contests needing to arrest Barack Obama's momentum with wins in at least one and possibly both states.
    Vermont and Rhode Island also voted today. Senator Obama easily took out the Democratic vote in Vermont, taking his winning streak to 12, while Senator Clinton is projected to win Rhode Island. But the larger states are the real prizes on offer.
    John McCain has won the Republican nomination after wins in Texas and Ohio and immediately took a swipe at his opponents in his victory speech. (Video.) He also won the races in Vermont and Rhode Island, giving him the required number of delegates to officially kill off Mike Huckabee's campaign. (Video.)
    More: Live from the US - Breaking news from Fox
    Help: Dummies guide to the US presidential voting system
    Your choice: See who you'd vote for with our Vote-a-matic
    The goss: All you need to know about the main candidates Bitter fight
    Heading into the votes, Senator Clinton hurled a barrage of attacks portraying her charismatic younger rival as inexperienced, duplicitous and lacking in the strength needed to take on the Republicans in November's general election.
    She brushed off suggestions that poor performances today could mean the end of the line for her campaign. "I don't think like that," she said.
    "We think we are going to do really well here in Texas and Ohio, I am feeling really optimistic," she said outside a school in Houston, before flying to Dallas and then to Ohio to await the results.
    Asked about her plans for the campaign going forward, the New York senator said: "We are going to get through today, and we are going to see how we do. I believe in taking things one day at a time in politics, as in life."
    But Senator Obama has said his rival should be starting to make some tough calls about her future. "What my head tells me is that we've got a very sizeable delegate lead that is going to be hard to overcome," he said.
    Senator Obama called the fusillade a "kitchen-sink strategy" that would not change the facts on the ground - he has a clear lead among Democratic delegates which Senator Clinton can only overhaul with landslide victories today and beyond.
    Polls suggested no such outcome was in the offing on the biggest day of presidential voting since the original "Super Tuesday" of February 5.
    Senator Obama has been building momentum in the campaign since he started his winning streak after Super Tuesday on February 6 (Australian time) and some of his most prominent backers have been calling on Senator Clinton to bow out for the sake of Democratic unity.
    D Day
    Even former president Bill Clinton has said his wife must win both Ohio and Texas to sustain her dream of following him into the Oval Office.
    But Senator Obama has been on the defensive, with Senator Clinton attacking his national security credentials and alleging that he is hood-winking voters with his professed opposition to the North American Free Trade Area (NAFTA).
    Senator Obama's campaign hit back, mocking Senator Clinton's argument that her "35 years of experience" including her time as first lady qualified her to be president.

Even if Hillary wins both Texas and Ohio, Obama will still have the lead in delegates. And like I said in another thread, the Democrats would catch hell if they decided to make Hillary the nominee anyway, and defy the will of the voters.

Time will tell, time will tell. Some people counted her out yesterday. I don't think the Democrats are as worried about catching hell as you think they are. And I don't follow your logic there anyway. Obama hasn't won several states to come yet, which could alter the number of delegates. As for the "will of the voters," that also remains to be seen. All I know is that no nominee has ever become president without winning Ohio.

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze View Post
    Time will tell, time will tell. Some people counted her out yesterday. I don't think the Democrats are as worried about catching hell as you think they are. And I don't follow your logic there anyway. Obama hasn't won several states to come yet, which could alter the number of delegates. As for the "will of the voters," that also remains to be seen. All I know is that no nominee has ever become president without winning Ohio.
    Ohio has only been a factor since about the 60's when it comes to presidential elections, so it's not ever.

And, bottom line, the Dems are politicians that want to be re-elected. So, if you think that they aren't thinking about pissing off the same voters that they're going to need to not only get re-elected, but to back Hillary if they make her the nominee then that's just being naive. And the only way Hillary could remotely surpass Obama in delegates is if she went on a clean sweep through the primaries, which is highly unlikely, since she didn't even pull it off tonight.

^^You just can't give her ANY credit can you, not even when she wins? I don't think Hillary is as universally loathed as you think she is. The race has been close, that should tell you something. If she was the pariah you keep insisting she is among Democrats, she wouldn't have even gotten this far. But she has.

I'll admit, I'm surprised she did as well as she did.

^^You just can't give her ANY credit can you, not even when she wins? I don't think Hillary is as universally loathed as you think she is. The race has been close, that should tell you something. If she was the pariah you keep insisting she is among Democrats, she wouldn't have even gotten this far. But she has.
    I can give Hillary credit. In fact, I predicted that she would win Ohio and R.I. in another thread earlier today.

And I never said Hillary was a pariah among Democrats or that she was universally loathed, so everything else you wrote after that really makes no sense since I don't know where you got that from?

And, bottom line, the Dems are politicians that want to be re-elected. So, if you think that they aren't thinking about pissing off the same voters that they're going to need to not only get re-elected, but to back Hillary if they make her the nominee then that's just being naive.

I think that what you said here suggests that she is not popular at the very least. Why would voters be pissed off if she is the nominee? Correct me if I'm wrong, but you are saying that they have to dump on her to get themselves re-elected. Correct me if I'm missing something here.

I'm so happy for this comeback, it's funny that people were counting her out and saying she should drop out up until tonight. She's a fighter and her determination will pay off. The Ohio win was HUGE no matter how much Obama supporters try and downplay it.

And, bottom line, the Dems are politicians that want to be re-elected. So, if you think that they aren't thinking about pissing off the same voters that they're going to need to not only get re-elected, but to back Hillary if they make her the nominee then that's just being naive.

I think that what you said here suggests that she is not popular at the very least. Why would voters be pissed off if she is the nominee? Correct me if I'm wrong, but you are saying that they have to dump on her to get themselves re-elected. Correct me if I'm missing something here.
    Maybe it suggests that to YOU, if you choose to read what you want to read. But what I was talking about was that if Obama still had the delegate lead and the Dems opted to go with Hillary anyway, and defy the will of the voters, then they would catch hell. And if Obama still has the delegate lead then that is the will of the voters.

That is much clearer, thanks. Communication is not a perfect instrument online or elsewhere, and occasionally clarification is required.

Quote Originally Posted by nycgirly101 View Post
    I'm so happy for this comeback, it's funny that people were counting her out and saying she should drop out up until tonight. She's a fighter and her determination will pay off. The Ohio win was HUGE no matter how much Obama supporters try and downplay it.
    Yep, great that she won. Keeping my fingers crossed that
    she will get enough delegates to get the nomination.
    Obama in eight years, yeah!
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

A*O

Stat on Fox News (so it must be true, right?) LOL

Only 2 Dems have ever lost Ohio, yet still went on to win the Presidency.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Yay for Hills!!!! I so want her to win! Obama's time will come but he's too green now.

I won't even lie, I cannot believe it. I am thrilled, but completely stunned.

NOW it's getting exciting. Woohoo bitches!

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information