Thread: Canadian PM: "we didn't leak memo on Barack Obama NAFTA communication with us"

Thumbs down Canadian PM: "we didn't leak memo on Barack Obama NAFTA communication with us"

Harper denies meddling in U.S. presidential primaries
    Mike Blanchfield and Sheldon Alberts, Canwest News Service

Published: Monday, March 03, 2008

OTTAWA/DALLAS — Prime Minister Stephen Harper fended off allegations Monday that his government deliberately meddled in the U.S. primaries by trying to undermine Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama’s stand on the North American Free Trade Agreement.

Despite Harper’s attempts at damage control, the controversy spilled over into the politics of both countries Monday. Hillary Clinton, facing a final defeat at Obama’s hands, sought to exploit the controversy on the eve of key primaries in Texas and Ohio.

In Ottawa, NDP Leader Jack Layton accused Harper of attempting to damage Obama, the Democratic frontrunner, and called for the firing of a key prime ministerial aide for allegedly leaking a diplomatic memo that suggested the Illinois senator was saying different things in private and in public about NAFTA.

“Instead of sticking his neck out for the Republican party over there, why doesn’t he stand up for working families over here?” Layton charged during question period. Harper scoffed at the suggestion that his minority government has that kind of clout south of the 49th parallel.

“This government doesn’t claim that kind of power,” the prime minister responded. “I certainly deny any allegation that this government has attempted to interfere in the American election.” Harper also said that Canada would continue to have a “strong alliance, friendship and partnership” with the U.S. regardless of which of the three remaining frontrunners, which includes Republican John McCain, wins the White House.

Earlier Monday, Clinton demanded Obama answer nagging questions about comments Canada claims were made to diplomats that cast doubt about his opposition to NAFTA. In an internal Canadian memo leaked initially to the Associated Press, and obtained Monday by Canwest News Service, a Chicago-based Canadian diplomat described a Feb. 8 meeting between Austan Goolsbee, Obama’s economic adviser, and Georges Rioux, Ottawa’s consul general in Chicago.

The memo said Goolsbee told Rioux that Obama’s campaign remarks about NAFTA “should not be taken out of context and should be viewed as more about political positioning than a clear articulation of policy plans.” Obama said in a Democratic debate last week that, if elected president, he would “use the hammer of a potential opt out as leverage” to negotiate better labour mobility and environmental standards in NAFTA.

According to the Canadian memo, Goolsbee “was frank in saying” that campaign rhetoric “that may be perceived to be protectionist is more reflective of political manoeuvring than policy.” One prominent U.S. Democratic strategist, Bob Shrum, has accused the Harper government of “interfering” in U.S. politics to help McCain.

But a Canadian government source, who spoke to Canwest News Service on condition of anonymity, said the memo’s release might actually have been “a ham-fisted attempt at damage control” after earlier news reports about the meeting between Goolsbee and Rioux.

Indeed, the memo praises Goolsbee, a University of Chicago economics professor, as “an important adviser whose intellectual prowess is made less intimidating by an approachability, curiousity and youthful enthusiasm.”

Liberal trade critic Navdeep Bains said given Harper’s tight control on all communications within his government and his fondness for the Republicans, the fact that the memo emerged at all raises questions.

“Things don’t leak from this government. I question the timing of the leak and the impact of the leak.”
    Harper’s top aides denied Monday that anyone from his office leaked the memo to the U.S. media. Along with Harper himself, they referred to a statement issued by the Canadian Embassy in Washington on Monday that said “we deeply regret any inference” that “Senator Obama and his campaign team were taking a different position in public from views expressed in private, including about NAFTA.”

The statement said Canada would “not interfere in this electoral process.” But despite the government’s attempts to dampen the controversy, International Trade Minister David Emerson maintained his staunch defence of NAFTA on Monday.

“We’re not interfering in any democratic process, but you know this is something that affects Canadians deeply. There isn’t a Canadian alive that doesn’t depend directly or indirectly on the benefit that have occurred from trade and particularly from NAFTA,” said Emerson.

The Clinton campaign has dubbed the controversy “NAFTA-gate.” Late Monday afternoon, Obama said he didn’t understand why the meeting was controversial. “Nobody reached out to the Canadians to try to reassure them.

They reached out, unbeknownst to the rest of us, they reached out to Mr. Goolsbee who provided them with a tangible conversation and repeated what we’ve said on the campaign trail,” Obama said. “Which is that we believe in trade with Canada.

We believe in trade with Mexico. We think the terms of NAFTA have to be altered so that the labor standards and the environmental standards are enforceable. But there’s nothing more there.” He added: “This notion that Senator Clinton is peddling, that somehow there are contradictions or winks and nods (on NAFTA), has been disputed by all the parties involved.”

In her news conference, Clinton said the Canadian memo is more evidence that Obama is saying one thing in public on NAFTA while telling foreign governments something different in private. “I think that after days of denial, the Obama campaign was confronted with a memo of a meeting — it was my understanding — in which there was a discussion of NAFTA. And it raises questions about Senator Obama coming to Ohio and giving speeches about NAFTA and having his chief economic adviser tell the Canadian government that it was just political rhetoric,” Clinton said.

“I don’t think people should come to Ohio and tell the people of Ohio one thing and then have your campaign tell a foreign government something else behind closed doors. That’s the kind of difference between talk and action and that I’ve been pointing out in this campaign. I think the questions should be directed at Senator Obama.”

NAFTA has been at the heart of the Democratic campaign in economically challenged Ohio, where residents blame the trade deal for the loss of thousands of manufacturing jobs. In the Democratic debate last week, Clinton threatened to opt out of NAFTA unless the U.S. wins key concessions to strengthen labour and environmental protections in the deal.

Clinton and Obama are locked are statistically tied in Ohio, so any votes Obama loses over the controversy could potentially be costly as he tries to lock up the Democratic nomination. The Obama campaign last week said “no one at any level of our campaign, at any point, anywhere” told Canada the Illinois senator was softening his position on trade.

Goolsbee has also disputed the characterization of his remarks in the Canadian memo. Bill Burton, an Obama spokesman, on Monday accused Clinton of making “blatant distortions” in a desperate attempt to halt her slide in the polls.

“Senator Clinton knows full well that she’s not telling the truth on this story, and that her blatant distortion is just part of her campaign’s stated strategy to throw the kitchen sink at Senator Obama in the closing days of this campaign,” Burton said.

“The truth is, Senator Clinton called NAFTA a victory and has switched positions for raw political reasons. Her false attack won’t protect American workers, but as President, Senator Obama will.” In the Canadian memo, diplomats reported that Goolsbee assured Rioux “the current conversation in the U.S. is not aimed at Canada.” Goolsbee said “the ‘blood bath’ is over expanding free trade to countries like Peru and Korea,” according to the memo.

“He also suggested that of the Democratic candidates, Obama has been the least protectionist” and that “going forward, the campaign was going to be careful to send the appropriate message without coming off as too protectionist.”

Howard Wolfson, Clinton’s communications director, accused Obama of deliberately misleading Democrats by repeatedly denying any conversations took place between Canada and a member of his campaign team.

“At this point what we have is a lot of statements by the Obama campaign that have proven to be demonstrably false,” Wolfson said. “I think from our perspective, the benefit of the doubt goes to the Canadians (on what was said).”

Harper denies meddling in U.S. presidential primaries
    The part I bolded is an important part: NOTHING leaks from Harper's government. Ever. If someone sticks their hand up to question him, they are fired, and then smeared to the end of Harpers ability. He doesn't talk to press, he operates in an almost total media and information blackout and is a shady fuck. Coincidentally, he's a conservative. Surprise.

Anyhow, IF this memo exists and then got leaked you can bet everything you own that Harper engineered it exactly as it happened. He loves Bush, loves Repukes, and is trying his damndest to suck up to the Republican machine and turn Canada into the 51st state.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Liberal trade critic Navdeep Bains said given Harper’s tight control on all communications within his government and his fondness for the Republicans, the fact that the memo emerged at all raises questions.

“Things don’t leak from this government. I question the timing of the leak and the impact of the leak.”
    Very interesting, I wonder if it is true at all!!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

It's very true. That's the part i highlighted.

The woman in charge of nuclear safety told Harper that one of the reactors was in need of refurbishing because it was NOT SAFE, but Harper didnt want to shut it down because it would interrupt flow of isotopes for medical imaging machines.

She pressed the issue, as was her job, so he fucking fired her and kept the reactor going. The guy is a slimeball. I believe she's going after him in court.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

^unbefuckinglievable. This is one of the reasons why I HATE the use of nuclear energy, because asshats like Harper disregard safety issues, putting everyone's lives in danger. The imagining machines in other areas wouldn't be affected, the patients could always seek treatment in other places, of less proximity to the plant.
    "In the face of the blinding sun, I wake only to find
    that Heaven is a stranger place than than one I've left behind." - SM

I wish the Liberals would purge their party and get some fresh blood. Stephane Dion is useless. He's a ghost. He's not visible.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    It's very true. That's the part i highlighted.

The woman in charge of nuclear safety told Harper that one of the reactors was in need of refurbishing because it was NOT SAFE, but Harper didnt want to shut it down because it would interrupt flow of isotopes for medical imaging machines.

She pressed the issue, as was her job, so he fucking fired her and kept the reactor going. The guy is a slimeball. I believe she's going after him in court.
    I should have clarified my answer better, I meant I wonder if the memo was telling the truth at all. I believe you.
    I think the use of nuclear energy is not a good source in this day in age, especially with people like Harper, Bush, and McCain.
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Thread Information