Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 65 students get pregnant after 'abstinence-only' sex ed program dumped

Default Re: 65 students get pregnant after 'abstinence-only' sex ed program dumped

This whole scenario is shameful - firstly that is terrible of the schools behalf to be so far behind and to be so closed minded that it teaches abstinence only (and apparantly not very well!!) rather than safe sex and secondly to the dumbass students who in this day and age supposedly didn't know any better.

Mind you im fed up with all the money digging skanks in Australia getting pregnant specifically for the $4000 baby bonus. We got teenyboppers getting knocked up and breeding a whole tribe of unwanted children just to get money.

Default Re: 65 students get pregnant after 'abstinence-only' sex ed program dumped

LOL, why do you get paid to have babies?

ETA: My child easily cost me that much and more the first year.

A*O

Another classic story from Ohio.

I learned everything and anything I wanted to know about sex, its consequences and how to avoid them from my Mother, bless her. My sex ed at school consisted of an embarrassed biology teacher drawing a picture of a uterus and a sperm and telling us " you don't need to worry about this kind of thing until you are married girls" as our birth control advice. As it was I am amazed nobody got pregnant, even though I know for a fact that Suzie Slapper 'went' with any boy who gave her a cigarette. In those days having sex wasn't the worst thing we could have done, but getting pregnant most certainly was.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I just really don't get the whole concept behind "abstinence-only" thinking. I can see conservative school boards/gov'ts wanting kids to not have sex at a young age/before marriage - but wouldn't you think they'd at least want to motivate them somewhat by explaining what can happen if you do have sex? For me, being told that bad things can happen if I do something (ie. disease, unplanned pregnancy) is a lot more effective than being told not to do it "just because" or because "it's wrong". You'd think sex ed would actually be used to its fullest by these people if they actually had the goal of "less teenage sex" in mind. It's like they're all about the means, never actually looking at the end.

At least in this case, they seem to have clued in.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Abstinence only education only functions in the fantasyworld where people don't make mistakes, don't have sex, and have absolutely no biological urges whatsoever.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

A*O

The theory is that you only have (heterosexual) sex AFTER you are married (because the fundies say so) and even then you only have sex in order to have babies and not for any other reason, least of all FUN. There is no need to explain anything about birth control because the idea of sex is to have babies. I think this common sense and realistic approach for teaching sex ed to teenage hormone bombs is perfectly reasonable.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by sherbear905 View Post
    Crap, we were trying to keep that info on the "down low"....

^Awh, that's my town! North Canton to be more precise, a little better... it's also the home of Brian Warner (aka Marilyn Manson), and the Football Hall of Fame, "woo-hoo"!

Not news we're proud of, that's a rough school, but I've got a few employees that have graduated from there, and they've turned out well (no babies yet, going to college, etc.)
    Well North Canton and Masillon are not bad..lol..and I guess Canton is really not that bad compared with parts of Cleveland and especially Youngstown. I understand the downtown is getting fixed up a little there(Canton)?
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Quote Originally Posted by dancindiva View Post
    LOL, why do you get paid to have babies?

ETA: My child easily cost me that much and more the first year.
    Its something that John Howard (Australian Prime Minister) introduced to encourage Australians to have more children because we need more people to support and pay for our aging population. Only no age was set for the baby bonus which meant that a heap of kids aged under 16 were falling pregnant for the sole purpose of getting money. None of them realise the responsibilities involved, they dont realise that the money doesnt go very far and finally the mothers are leaving school prematurely (people as young as 12 are getting pregnant) which indicates a new line of woman with limited educations.

I'm assuming that the age thing is going to be set coz its getting ridiculous.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information