Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hillary Clinton under pressure to quit White House race

Default Hillary Clinton under pressure to quit White House race

Clinton under pressure to quit White House race
    associated press
    Democrat Hillary Clinton faced pressure Sunday to abandon her White House bid heading into pivotal contests in Ohio and Texas that are unlikely to dent Barack Obama's surging momentum.
    Democratic grandees who are supporting Obama said that for the sake of party unity, Clinton should consider her options after Tuesday's primary battles as the Republicans rally behind their heir apparent, John McCain.
    The pressure on the former first lady intensified as new polls suggested she was deadlocked with Obama in Texas and Ohio, far from the kind of blowout wins that she needs to overhaul his lead among Democratic delegates.
    However, the former first lady has come out firing against her rival, issuing an ominous television spot that suggests Obama would be ill-prepared to protect US children in the event of a foreign-policy crisis.
    "This is a wartime election," she told a rally Sunday in the Ohio town of Westerville.
    "For some people, this election is about how you feel. It is about speeches. That is not what it is about for me," she said. "It is about solutions."
    One party elder not yet endorsing either candidate, New Mexico Governor Bill Richardson, said "the bickering between these two very fine senators is going on too long" as they fought running battles over national security.
    "D Day is Tuesday. We have to have a positive campaign after Tuesday," Richardson, who abandoned his own White House bid in January, said on CBS News.
    "Whoever has the most delegates after Tuesday, a clear lead, should be in my judgment the nominee."
    The latest count of nominating delegates by website RealClearPolitics shows Obama leading by 1,389 to Clinton's 1,279, with the freshman senator pulling into the lead after 11 nominating wins in a row.
    A total of 2,025 delegates is needed for victory at the Democrats' August nominating convention in Denver.
    Tuesday's votes look unlikely to change that picture much, given that Democratic primaries award delegates on a proportional basis.
    A new poll by Ohio's Cleveland Plain Dealer newspaper found Senator Clinton slightly ahead in the economically struggling state, by 47-43 percent.
    Senator Obama led in Texas by 46-45 percent, according to polling by McClatchy Newspapers, MSNBC television and the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.
    The results were within the four-point margin of error for both polls.
    Senator Richard Durbin, who is backing his Illinois colleague Obama, denied that Clinton would face orchestrated pressure to bow out after Tuesday "because all of us respect her and her family."
    "But I hope that there's an honest appraisal of her chances to win the nomination after Tuesday," he told Fox News Sunday.

"And having made that appraisal... I hope she'll understand that we need to bring our party together and prepare for a victory in November, which is the ultimate goal."
    Clinton's communications advisor Howard Wolfson was adamant that the race would go on beyond Tuesday, with delegate-rich Pennsylvania the next big state to vote in April.
    "What I'm saying is, we're going to have a great day on Tuesday. We're going to win this nomination. This nomination fight is going to go forward after Ohio and Texas," he said on ABC television.
    "We're going to go to Pennsylvania, where a lot more Americans are going to vote, and we're going to be the nominee in Denver."
    Wolfson meanwhile raised questions about Obama's links to a Chicago property developer, Antoin Rezko, whose federal trial for corruption is set to open on Monday.
    Obama's chief strategist David Axelrod said the Rezko affair had been "thoroughly reviewed" by the Chicago and national press.
    "No one has asserted any wrongdoing on the part of Senator Obama," he said, while demanding that Clinton release her recent tax returns, and records from her time as first lady.
    McCain, a Vietnam war hero and foreign-policy veteran, looks set to seal the Republican nomination on Tuesday by eliminating the pesky challenge of former Arkansas governor Mike Huckabee.
    The Arizona senator is already framing the presidential election in terms of who can best take on the "transcendent challenge" of Islamic extremism, and accuses the Democrats of wanting to cut and run from Iraq. Obama fired back by insisting that both Clinton and McCain gave the "wrong answer" to the foremost policy question of recent years, whether to invade Iraq.

Unless Hillary pulls out some major wins, she needs to bow out after Tuesday. Because the momentum will be squarely with Obama, and she'll be nothing more than a distraction to the Dems.

And neither she or Obama are going to reach the magic 2,025 delegates, since they've spilt the delegates almost evenly. So, it's going to come down to the Party leaders and the super delegates to determine which one has the better shot at beating McCain and Obama's already won more states, particularly in the south and midwest. And that's why a lot of the super delegates are already starting to lean more toward Obama.

So Hillary should just bow out now with her tail between her legs and let Barack get on with his "bedazzling" and low media scrutiny? Fat chance that's gonna happen!

.. dead yet?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze View Post
    So Hillary should just bow out now with her tail between her legs and let Barack get on with his "bedazzling" and low media scrutiny? Fat chance that's gonna happen!
    Of course, don't you know Obama should just be handed the nomination even if he doesn't secure over 2000 delegates? We also have to coddle the naive, inexperienced Obama and only give him soft-ball questions and coverage. But Hillary needs to be hounded and slammed every single day. That's just how it works.

Hillary Clinton is the Mike Huckabee of the Dems.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze View Post
    I agree. She shouldn't give up yet. If she loses Ohio or Texas, maybe.

A*O

I agree she shouldn't give up, but I'm afraid the momentum IS behind Obama now so I reckon it's pretty much a given that he will win the nomination. I'm afraid it boils down to the fact that America just isn't ready to embrace the idea of an uppity female running the country. I think if Hillary had more personal warmth, sincerity and charisma she might have made it but she just doesn't and that counts for an awful lot more than experience and ability unfortunately.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    I agree she shouldn't give up, but I'm afraid the momentum IS behind Obama now so I reckon it's pretty much a given that he will win the nomination. I'm afraid it boils down to the fact that America just isn't ready to embrace the idea of an uppity female running the country. I think if Hillary had more personal warmth, sincerity and charisma she might have made it but she just doesn't and that counts for an awful lot more than experience and ability unfortunately.
    I think it's wrong to imply that the US is too sexist to be "ready" for a woman president. Obama reminds a lot of people around here of a young Kennedy or Bill Clinton, whereas Hillary Clinton was, is, and probably always will be unelectable at the national level because she's Hillary Clinton, not because she's an "uppity female". Obama was the only candidate in the Democrat field to even come close to being electable, so naturally the momentum went his way.

A*O

I think you are underestimating the deep, even subconscious, level of sexism (and racism for that matter) that still exists. The great voting public is being confronted with a very stark choice here that confronts a lot of their prejudices. Feminism has come a long way for sure, but not far enough to put a woman in the White House - yet.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

...but people hated her before they figured out she was female..
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Hit By Ban Bus!

If/When Clinton loses it will be because the people weren't behind her, not because she is a woman.
    She's always seemed shady to me, I'd rather give my vote to an unknown, inexperienced man than to a woman who is known to lie, cover up and pay out hush money.
    Obama might do the same thing as well, but for now he seems like the lessor of the two evils.
    Seems to me that a woman or a black nominee would have nearly the same level of prejudices and disadvantages (although for different reasons) so for either one of them to think that they lost because of their gender or skin color would be unrealistic.
    They will win or lose (I think) based on the message they send to Americans and how we percieve it.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    I think you are underestimating the deep, even subconscious, level of sexism (and racism for that matter) that still exists. The great voting public is being confronted with a very stark choice here that confronts a lot of their prejudices. Feminism has come a long way for sure, but not far enough to put a woman in the White House - yet.
    I live in America. I live in Texas, a state widely (and mostly erroneously) considered to be both racist and sexist. I think I have a pretty good handle on things. You don't live here, do you?

Quote Originally Posted by tee-ha-ha View Post
    I think it's wrong to imply that the US is too sexist to be "ready" for a woman president. Obama reminds a lot of people around here of a young Kennedy or Bill Clinton, whereas Hillary Clinton was, is, and probably always will be unelectable at the national level because she's Hillary Clinton, not because she's an "uppity female". Obama was the only candidate in the Democrat field to even come close to being electable, so naturally the momentum went his way.
    I agree that the issue is not her sex. She's been around a long time in the political game and she's just a very polarizing figure. I think many feel she's just not the right person for the job.
    Last edited by qwerty; March 2nd, 2008 at 06:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleWasHere View Post
    Hillary Clinton is the Mike Huckabee of the Dems.
    Haha hardly, she's actually still a contender for the nom unlike Huckabee

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    I agree that the issue is not her sex. She's been around a long time in the political game and she's just a very polarizing figure. I think many feel she's just not the right person for the job.
    I agree with that assessment! She has always been a polarizing figure and that is the last thing this country needs right now. We've had almost 16 straight years of polarizing figures. We need someone to unify us, at least in some respects. I'm sick of all the bullshit. Unfortunately I don't any of the candidates are capable...though of the bunch, Hillary is the LEAST capable if that makes any sense.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information