Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: John McCain's age will factor into his choice for running mate

Default John McCain's age will factor into his choice for running mate

McCain's big decision: Who to pick as VP
    associated press
    Republican presidential candidate John McCain has a big decision ahead of him -- picking a vice presidential running mate whose presence on the ticket would reassure Americans concerned about McCain's age.
    McCain is 71 years old and would be the oldest person ever elected to a first presidential term. He has survived a bout with melanoma that left a long scar on his face and suffered harsh treatment as a Vietnam prisoner of war.
    Voters do not typically base their vote on the vice presidential choice but they do want to be assured that the running mate would be able to take over if the president were to die or become incapacitated.
    When questions arose about Ronald Reagan's age (69) during the 1980 election, Reagan picked one of the men he had vanquished for the Republican presidential nomination, George H.W. Bush, and Bush's reassuring presence largely silenced questions about Reagan.
    It is a scenario not lost on the McCain team, which is waiting to seal the Republican presidential nomination before launching a search for the No. 2.
    "For Reagan in 1980, age was a big question, was a bigger issue than it is for McCain," said McCain adviser Charlie Black. "The day Reagan picked George Bush, it went away. People looked at it and said, 'Oh, we know this guy, we know he can handle it."'
    By contrast, Americans were so disenchanted with Bush's vice president, Dan Quayle, that the Bush team considered but decided against dumping Quayle from the ticket in the elder Bush's 1992 re-election bid, which he lost.
    Douglas Brinkley, a presidential historian, said McCain has a compelling history as a former Navy fighter pilot and long-time Arizona senator.
    "But at 71 years old and afflicted with cancer and a life that has brutalized his body in many ways, I think who he picks is going to be very, very important," Brinkley said. "You're really looking at somebody who over an eight-year period could be president."
    NOT NECESSARILY A BALANCING ACT
    It does not necessarily mean McCain must pick someone far younger.
    "I don't think you're going to balance the ticket on age," said Republican strategist Scott Reed. "Pick someone who is going to help you win and who can step in and serve as president if there is a crisis."
    Brinkley said the most reassuring person McCain could pick in the Republican Party would be retired Gen. Colin Powell, a former secretary of state and defense.
    Powell, 70, has said he does not want the job but Brinkley said Republican Party elders might be able to persuade him.
    "Powell is someone everyone could imagine as president," Brinkley said.
    Two possibilities include Florida Gov. Charlie Crist, 51, who could help McCain win the battleground state of Florida in the November election, and Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty, 47, who could do the same in Minnesota.
    There are plenty of other names: Texas Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison, who says she does not want it; South Carolina Sen. Lindsey Graham; Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour; Texas Gov. Rick Perry; and former White House budget director Rob Portman, a former member of the U.S. Congress from Ohio.

Republican pollster Whit Ayres said McCain's choice may well depend on whether Democrat Barack Obama or Hillary Clinton wins the nomination. "A vice presidential nominee against one might not be the best choice if you're running against the other," Ayres said. "If it's Clinton, it might place a higher premium on a woman. If it's Obama, it might place a higher premium on an African-American
    No shit his age will factor into who he chooses as a vice-president.

And if Obama's race and Hillary's gender factor into his choice, then maybe the rumors of him picking Condi Rice are true. She would cover both the black and female demographic.

If McCain would happen to become President, I wonder if he could actually finish an entire four year term?

^^That's something that the Republicans are going to have to REALLY think about when voting for him. And that's why his VP choice is going to be more important than Obama's or Hillary's.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleWasHere View Post
    If McCain would happen to become President, I wonder if he could actually finish an entire four year term?
    Sure. I wondered the same thing about Dick Cheney in 2000. If you'd told me he'd still be alive in 2008, I'd have laughed. I don't think McCain would be running if his health was so poor that he believed he wouldn't survive a four-year term. Someone would have said (leaked) something by now.

I think McCain will be fine health wise if he's elected, his mother is still alive and mobile- and she's almost 100 years old

Quote Originally Posted by nycgirly101 View Post
    I think McCain will be fine health wise if he's elected, his mother is still alive and mobile- and she's almost 100 years old
    Yeah, but his mother's not running for president. And the presidency ages people, for some reason. All of the former presidents come out looking a LOT older than when they went in. They come out looking older and world-weary. Imagine what McCain will look like, since he's already old as dirt going in.

Dick Cheney... his heart never really failed him!!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    Yeah, but his mother's not running for president. And the presidency ages people, for some reason. All of the former presidents come out looking a LOT older than when they went in. They come out looking older and world-weary. Imagine what McCain will look like, since he's already old as dirt going in.
    Nothing personal against you at all King- but in general why is ageism OK but sexism and racism aren't? Aren't jokes like that just subtle discrimination?

Holy shit, seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleWasHere View Post
    Holy shit, seriously?
    Lol yes she even goes to rallies and events with him.

Lol yes she even goes to rallies and events with him.

Wow. lol, that's nuts.

Yeah, his mom also said McCain won't win because the grassroots conservatives won't vote for him. HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA! She's a gutsy old bird. McCain DID admit some time ago that he would probably only run for 4 years and not seek re-election if he won. Now, he's backtracking on that. So, whoever he chooses is truly being groomed for the Presidency. In my mind, it has to be someone younger and in their early/mid 50s.

I think he might choose Giuliani.

Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle View Post
    I think he might choose Giuliani.

Then it would be freaking tempting. I love Rudy Giuliani.

LOL giuliani.. mr. pro gay, pro choice, pro gun control who did an amazing 180 and reversed all those positions to pander to christian retards?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information