Thread: John McCain "proud" of endorsement from John Hagee called Catholics "the great whore"

Default John McCain "proud" of endorsement from John Hagee called Catholics "the great whore"

Jane Hamsher Huffington Post:

Tim Russert, in front of millions of Americans on Tuesday night, was quick to force Barack Obama to denounce Louis Farrakahn repeatedly until he worded it to Russert's satisfaction (evidently "unacceptable and reprehensible" didn't quite get the job done). Despite the fact that Obama never sought Farrakhan's endorsement, Russert felt this line of questioning was appropriate given Farrakhan's intolerant remarks about Jews in the past.

Okay, fair enough. But if that's the case, then why isn't he pressing John McCain about radical religious extremist uber-nut John Hagee?
    Mr. McCain, who has been on a steady search for support among conservative and evangelical leaders who have long distrusted him, said he was "very honored'' by Mr. Hagee's endorsement. Asked about Mr. Hagee's extensive writings on Armageddon and about what one questioner said was Mr. Hagee's belief that the anti-Christ will be the head of the European Union, Mr. McCain responded that "all I can tell you is that I am very proud to have Pastor John Hagee's support.''
    Notice the "been on a steady search" part. If Obama had actively sought Farrakhan's endorsement, his campaign would be over. Watch the video above. McCain is downright proud of this Hagee endorsement.

Hagee was, if you'll remember, the guy who said that Hurricaine Katrina was God's revenge for a gay pride parade. He thinks war with Iran is essential so as to bring about Armageddon (when you can say bye-bye to the Jews). But as Glenn Greenwald says, he's a white Christian evangelical bigot, and therefore entitled to respect from the pundit class:
    [W]hite evangelical Ministers are free to advocate American wars based on Biblical mandates, rant hatefully against Islam, and argue that natural disasters occur because God hates gay people. They are still fit for good company, an important and cherished part of our mainstream American political system. The entire GOP establishment is permitted actively to lavish them with praise and court their support without the slightest backlash or controversy. Both George Bush and Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert sent formal greetings to the 2006 gathering of Hagee's group.
    By contrast, black Muslim ministers like Farrakhan, or even black Christian ministers like Rev. Jeremiah Wright, are held with deep suspicion, even contempt. McCain is free to hug and praise the Rev. Hagees of the world, but Obama is required to prove over and over and over and over that he does not share the more extreme views of black Ministers.
    How come Tim Russert -- in all the times he sits and chats with Lieberman, McCain and various high Bush officials -- never reads all of the inflammatory, disgusting, crazed "Rapture-is-Coming/ All-Jews-will-Burn/ Kill-All-Muslims/ Hurricanes-are-Punishment-against-Gays" pronouncements from John Hagee and James Dobson and Pat Robertson and demand that John McCain and George Bush and Joe Lieberman "denounce" those views and "reject" their support? What's the difference, exactly?
    Enter...Bill Donahue.
    Yes, Mr. Catholic League/Chocolate Jesus himself, who is (justifiably) miffed that Hagee refers to Catholics as "'The Great Whore,' an 'apostate church,' the 'anti-Christ,' and a 'false cult system.' Glenn Greenwald interviewed him yesterday:
    Donohue was particularly insistent that McCain's behavior would severely harm his standing with Catholic voters -- the group of voters which Karl Rove maintains is the key group for enabling the GOP to win: "This thing seems to be to be blowing up in his face. McCain has stepped in it big time."
    It's significant that this is not a partisan issue, both sides of the political spectrum are in agreement that McCain should be forced to account for this. Even the National Review is applauding Glenn Greenwald's efforts on this front.
    It's going to be hard for Russert to garner an audience to address this matter that is quite as big as he did in a Presidential debate, so I'm going to make a suggestion here that I never thought I would...
    (*sharp intake of breath*)
    ...he needs to have Bill Donohue on Meet the Press.
    Fair is fair, right?

Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

So it's ok that he gets an endorsement from the crazy evangelical who called Catholics(all of them) "The Great Whore?" But, Obama can't even look sideways at a muslim?!?!!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Hey, those of you who had no problem with the KKK supporting Ron Paul, there should be no problem with this guy endorsing McCain, or a domestic terrorist supporting Obama.

IMO, McCain is a fool for not telling this guy no thanks, as is Obama for not addressing the issues of William Ayers, as is Ron Paul for accepting money from the KKK. You lay with dogs, you'll come up with fleas.

Quote Originally Posted by tkdgirl View Post
    Hey, those of you who had no problem with the KKK supporting Ron Paul, there should be no problem with this guy endorsing McCain, or a domestic terrorist supporting Obama.

IMO, McCain is a fool for not telling this guy no thanks, as is Obama for not addressing the issues of William Ayers, as is Ron Paul for accepting money from the KKK. You lay with dogs, you'll come up with fleas.
    That Ayers thing is an internet conspiracy.. They took his past and ran away with it..
    ETA:
    Obama once visited '60s radicals - Ben Smith - Politico.com
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

Quote Originally Posted by SSDiva View Post
    So it's ok that he gets an endorsement from the crazy evangelical who called Catholics(all of them) "The Great Whore?" But, Obama can't even look sideways at a muslim?!?!!

It's all about race. The other candidates probably just want to give him a hard time without looking overly racist or something.

I wish this country would get used to the fact that not all Muslims are bad. There're a shit load of bad Christians and whatnot out there, but about the only religion we decide to dog on is Muslim and scientology. What's up with that? Because last I checked, there're bad Christians out there, too.

Gah, I ranted.

^^scientology is a cult not a religion though

I wouldn't mock someone's religion, but scientology is a different story- they're batshit crazy
    Last edited by nycgirl; March 1st, 2008 at 04:14 PM.

^ True.

Thread Information