Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 20% of white democrat voters would vote for John McCain if Barack Obama is nominee

Default 20% of white democrat voters would vote for John McCain if Barack Obama is nominee

Democratic Base Fissures

Although attention has been focused on McCain's problems with the GOP base, there are indications that some Democrats might defect if Obama is the party's nominee. Overall, 20% of white Democratic voters say they would vote for McCain if Obama is the Democratic nominee. That is twice the percentage of white Democrats who say they would support McCain in a Clinton-McCain matchup. Older Democrats (ages 65 and older), lower-income and less educated Democrats also would support McCain at higher levels if Obama rather than Clinton is the party's nominee.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

I think polls are widely unreliable but if this one is even close, wow... other interesting stats too. The 'one word' description is interesting. Clearly they didn't call my house. One of the words used for Hillary would have shown up in McCain's column too.

Summary of Findings: Obama Has The Lead, But Potential Problems Too

Why the hell do people like McCain so much, anyway? He's basically just Bush 2.0.

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleWasHere View Post
    Why the hell do people like McCain so much, anyway? He's basically just Bush 2.0.
    His appeal is to moderate republicans, conservative democrats and independents. He does not have the republican based 'solidified' at all. Those on the base who will vote for him will do so to prevent Obama or Hillary. So it isn't a vote of confidence, but more of a lesser of two evils in their mind.

.. but McCain is a batshit bush enabler.. arg
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

The stats don't really surprise me at all considering that most of those Dems who would defect to McCain are probably older, and older Democrats are the ones who are primarily supporting Hillary. However, if the record voter turnout among young voters continues into November, then that would help to offset the Dems defecting, if Obama gets the nomination.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    The stats don't really surprise me at all considering that most of those Dems who would defect to McCain are probably older, and older Democrats are the ones who are primarily supporting Hillary. However, if the record voter turnout among young voters continues into November, then that would help to offset the Dems defecting, if Obama gets the nomination.
    Except the youth vote has never tipped an election. Ever. Not even for JFK or Clinton, who were also candidates that appealed to the young.

Little shiftless layabouts

If they show up when the actual election is held, great. We're happy to have them. The dems need every vote this time around.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

'Older Democrats (ages 65 and older), lower-income and less educated Democrats also would support McCain at higher levels if Obama rather than Clinton is the party's nominee' gee..this and white too. It is PREJUDICE people. There is no way in hell Obama is getting elected prez.

I saw something on MSNBC where a number of Texan Repubs were going to vote Democrat(for Obama) in the Texas Primary. Of course..they WANT Obama in cause they know prejudice will kill his chances of getting elected. Fuckers.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Quote Originally Posted by Sojiita View Post
    It is PREJUDICE people. There is no way in hell Obama is getting elected prez.
    I agree. I've had a feeling for a month or so now that things might swing this way. It hasn't happened yet, and might not, but I have a feeling a lot of hidden (and not so hidden) prejudices will creep out, plus the bigot vote from people who have never voted in their life.

I hope I'm wrong.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by Sojiita View Post
    'Older Democrats (ages 65 and older), lower-income and less educated Democrats also would support McCain at higher levels if Obama rather than Clinton is the party's nominee' gee..this and white too. It is PREJUDICE people. There is no way in hell Obama is getting elected prez.

I saw something on MSNBC where a number of Texan Repubs were going to vote Democrat(for Obama) in the Texas Primary. Of course..they WANT Obama in cause they know prejudice will kill his chances of getting elected. Fuckers.
    No, they're voting for Obama because they just don't want Hillary. I know this for a fact. The conventional wisdom is that Obama's lack of experience will be easy to defeat- not his color. Republicans would easily support JC Watts, Michael Steele, Lynn Swann, Condi Rice, etc.

I think Hillary would be easier to run against (and beat) than Obama. Obama has everything going for him right now, including a HUGE youth movement. Neither Hillary or McCain can say that.

Prejudice will definitely play a role in the election IF Obama gets the nomination. That's just a fact. Even as an Obama supporter, I still can't completely wrap my brain around the fact that America will actually elect a black man to be president. But, then again, I'm shocked Obama's gotten this far.

Either way, this election will bring a lot of issues to the forefront, and American voters are really going to have their feet to the fire, one way or the other. Which is probably a blessing and a curse.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

Prejudice will definitely play a role in the election IF Obama gets the nomination. That's just a fact. Even as an Obama supporter, I still can't completely wrap my brain around the fact that America will actually elect a black man to be president. But, then again, I'm shocked Obama's gotten this far.
    Unfortunately, I share this feeling. However, even if he doesn't win it is still a huge step in the right direction for him (and Hillary) to have gotten this far as serious contenders who aren't white or male. That is a big deal in itslef and it has gotten the nation accustomed to seeing women and non-white in visible positions of power and getting a lot of general support. It may not be the ultimate victory we want but it is still something to be proud of that our generation is seeing these changed occur.

Quote Originally Posted by crumpet View Post
    Unfortunately, I share this feeling. However, even if he doesn't win it is still a huge step in the right direction for him (and Hillary) to have gotten this far as serious contenders who aren't white or male. That is a big deal in itslef and it has gotten the nation accustomed to seeing women and non-white in visible positions of power and getting a lot of general support. It may not be the ultimate victory we want but it is still something to be proud of that our generation is seeing these changed occur.
    Agreed. Either way, who would have thought that we would see a black man, or a woman, as the potential Democratic nominees. And in the same year, no less. That is history in the making, and the campaign landscape, at least on the Dems side, will never be the same again.

Quote Originally Posted by tkdgirl View Post
    No, they're voting for Obama because they just don't want Hillary. I know this for a fact. The conventional wisdom is that Obama's lack of experience will be easy to defeat- not his color. Republicans would easily support JC Watts, Michael Steele, Lynn Swann, Condi Rice, etc.

I think Hillary would be easier to run against (and beat) than Obama. Obama has everything going for him right now, including a HUGE youth movement. Neither Hillary or McCain can say that.
    Michael Steele is a joke, and a liar. When he was running for Lt. Governor of Maryland he promised that he would bring more resources to the inner cities to help curb the black on black youth crime, by the time for their re-election more kids were killed..
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Remember, the 2006 National Black Republican Association’s radio ad that claimed Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was really a Republican and that Democrats opposed all civil rights legislation from the 1860's to the 1960's and were responsible for starting the Ku Klux Klan?
    The ad was intended to support former Lt. Gov. Michael S. Steele in his run against Congressman Benjamin L. Cardin to succeed Paul Sarbanes in the U.S. Senate.
    And like that ad didn’t help Steele, Cardin won, the “fear” ad won’t save Hillary.
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Clinton and Obama are so similar on so many issues that it amazes me any of their supporters will vote for McCain in a general election. It just doesn't make any sense.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information