Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barack Obama served on board that funded pro-Palestinian group

Default Barack Obama served on board that funded pro-Palestinian group

JERUSALEM – Democratic presidential frontrunner Sen. Barack Obama served as a paid director on the board of a nonprofit organization that granted funding to a controversial Arab group that mourns the establishment of Israel as a "catastrophe." (Obama has also reportedly spoken at fundraisers for Palestinians living in what the United Nations terms refugee camps.) The co-founder of the Arab group, Columbia University professor Rashid Khalidi, is a harsh critic of Israel who reportedly worked on behalf of the Palestine Liberation Organization when it was labeled a terror group by the State Department.

Khalidi held a fundraiser in 2000 for Obama’s failed bid for a seat in the U.S. House of Representatives.

In 2001, the Woods Fund, a Chicago-based nonprofit that describes itself as a group helping the disadvantaged, provided a $40,000 grant to the Arab American Action Network, or AAAN, at which Khalidi’s wife, Mona, serves as president. The Fund provided a second grant to AAAN for $35,000 in 2002.

Obama was a director of the Woods Fund board from 1999 to Dec. 11, 2002, according to the Fund’s website. According to tax filings, Obama received compensation of $6,000 per year for his service in 1999 and 2000. The $40,000 grant from the Woods Fund to AAAN constituted about a fifth of the group’s reported grants for 2001, also according to tax filings. The $35,000 Woods Fund grant in 2002 made up about one-fifth of AAAN’s reported grants for that year as well.

Headquartered in the heart of Chicago’s Palestinian immigrant community, AAAN describes itself as working to "empower Chicago-area Arab immigrants and Arab Americans through the combined strategies of community organizing, advocacy, education and social services, leadership development, and forging productive relationships with other communities."

Speakers at AAAN dinners and events routinely have taken an anti-Israel line. The group co-sponsored a Palestinian art exhibit, titled "The Subject of Palestine," that featured works related to what Palestinians call the "nakba" or "catastrophe" of Israel’s founding in 1948.

The theme of AAAN’s Nakba art exhibit, held at DePaul University in 2005, was "the compelling and continuing tragedy of Palestinian life ... under [Israeli] occupation ... home demolition ... statelessness ... bereavement ... martyrdom, and ... the heroic struggle for life, for safety, and for freedom."

Another AAAN initiative, "Al Nakba 1948 As Experienced by Chicago Palestinians," seeks documents related to the "catastrophe" of Israel’s founding.

Although AAAN co-founder Rashid Khalidi has at times denied working directly for the PLO, he reportedly served as director of the official PLO press agency WAFA in Beirut from 1976 to 1982, a period during which the PLO committed scores of anti-Western attacks and was labeled by the U.S. as a terror group. Khalidi’s wife, Mona Khalidi, reportedly was WAFA’s English translator during that period.

Khalidi also advised the Palestinian delegation to the Madrid Conference in 1991. During documented speeches and public events, Khalidi has called Israel an "apartheid system in creation" and a "racist" state. Critics have accused him of excusing Palestinian terrorism, a charge he denies.

He dedicated his 1986 book, Under Siege, to "those who gave their lives ... in defense of the cause of Palestine and independence of Lebanon." While the Woods Fund’s contribution to Khalidi’s AAAN might be perceived as a one-time contact with Obama, there is evidence of a deeper relationship between the presidential hopeful and Khalidi.

According to a professor at the University of Chicago who said he has known Obama for 12 years, the senator first befriended Khalidi when the two worked together at the university. The professor spoke on condition of anonymity. Khalidi lectured at the University of Chicago until 2003; Obama taught law there from 1993 until his election to the Senate in 2004.

Asked during a radio interview with this reporter on WABC’s John Batchellor program about his 2000 fundraiser for Obama, Khalidi said he "was just doing my duties as a Chicago resident to help my local politician." Khalidi said he supports Obama for president "because he is the only candidate who has expressed sympathy for the Palestinian cause."

Khalidi also lauded Obama for "saying he supports talks with Iran. If the U.S. can talk with the Soviet Union during the Cold War, there is no reason it can’t talk with the Iranians."
    Concerning Obama’s role in funding AAAN, Khalidi claimed he "never heard of the Woods Fund until it popped up on a bunch of blogs a few months ago." He terminated the interview when pressed further about his links with Obama.

Contacted by phone, Mona Khalidi refused to answer questions about AAAN’s involvement with Obama.

The Obama campaign did not reply to a list of questions sent by e-mail to the senator’s press office.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Also some interesting connections between Obama and William Ayers, member of a group that tried to overthrow the US in the 70s. See more at the link below:

http://www.jewishpress.com/displayCo...Group&recnum=1

MISSION & CORE PRINCIPLES

Woods Fund of Chicago is a grantmaking foundation whose goal is to increase opportunities for less advantaged people and communities in the metropolitan area, including the opportunity to shape decisions affecting them. The foundation works primarily as a funding partner with nonprofit organizations. Woods supports nonprofits in their important roles of engaging people in civic life, addressing the causes of poverty and other challenges facing the region, promoting more effective public policies, reducing racism and other barriers to equal opportunity, and building a sense of community and common ground.
    The Woods Fund has a strong belief in the need for and effectiveness of including the less advantaged in the entire process of addressing issues that affect them. To this end, the Woods Fund encourages and supports organizations and initiatives that promote “participatory policy making” by reaching out to their less advantaged constituencies. Such efforts should involve the less advantaged in identifying and defining the issues that face them, and in forming effective solutions to these problems.
    The Woods Fund believes that encouraging a close, learning-based partnership with its grantees can further the causes of Chicago’s less advantaged residents and communities. All grantees of the Woods Fund are expected to engage in a learning partnership. Through this partnership, the Woods Fund expects that grantees will share best practices and successes with the Woods Fund and fellow grantees, as well as those challenges that impede effective implementation. This powerful collaboration has the potential to inform the Woods Fund's grantmaking process and to educate the nonprofit community and others about ideas and strategies that they may successfully adopt.
    Woods Fund of Chicago
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    That article act as if this is a terrorist organization..
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

I fail to see the controversy here. It wasn't like the AAAN was a terrorist group, and a lot of people sympathize with Palestinians. OMG, an art show that doesn't praise the creation of Israel... and it was allowed to go on... it's almost as if there is freedom in the US.

^^They are going to try to attach him to anything that could make him not only a muslim, but an extremist. They want to take away Obama's Jewish voting base, so they'll vote for McCain.
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

I will be so glad when these elections are over. I am fed up with Obama and Hiliary. I wish they would both disappear.

I think the point of the article is that the people who run these organizations have terrorist ties. If Obama can repudiate Farrahkhan's endorsement, why not address this?

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

These issues are all legitimate to bring up..........for any and all candidates. What is starting to concern me is that their seems to be a knee jerk reaction by Obama supporters to automatically call foul on any criticism of him or any questions about his past involvements, connections, and activities. All candidates get shit thrown at them, hard, and he will get more of it as the election grows closer.

Quote Originally Posted by tkdgirl View Post
    I think the point of the article is that the people who run these organizations have terrorist ties. If Obama can repudiate Farrahkhan's endorsement, why not address this?
    I knew this sound familiar, there was a story about this..Interesting though that this story was first posted on the World Net Daily site. But it is now on the Christian Action site with a few things that the Jewish press left off and added:
    Aaron Klein with World Net Daily News reported Sunday, Feb. 24, on Democratic Senator Barack Obama, now a U.S. Presidential contender, who served as a paid director for an Islamic charity funding an anti-Semitist group allegedly linked to terrorist sympathies.

The group co-sponsored a Palestinian art exhibit, titled, "The Subject of Palestine," that featured works related to what some Palestinians call the "Nakba" or "catastrophe" of Israel's founding in 1948. …

Obama served on the board with Ayers…a Weathermen leader [who wrote about] his involvement with the group's bombings of the New York City police headquarters in 1970, the Capitol in 1971 and the Pentagon in 1972.

"I don't regret setting bombs. I feel we didn't do enough," Ayers told the New York Times in an interview released on Sept. 11, 2001.

"Everything was absolutely ideal on the day I bombed the Pentagon," Ayers wrote in his memoirs, titled "Fugitive Days." He continued with a disclaimer that he didn't personally set the bombs, but his group set the explosives and planned the attack. …

The charges against Ayers were dropped in 1974 because of prosecutorial misconduct. This WND artical follows a previous report quoting Israeli security officials characterized as "concerned" about Obama adviser Robert Malley, who advocated negotiations and international assistance for Hamas terrorists in Israel.

Malley’s views are noted in numerous opinion articles, including several co-written with a former adviser to the late PLO terrorist leader Yasser Arafat.

They argued for dialogue with Hamas and against Israel for policies they claimed were harmful to displaced Arabs in the Gaza enclave and the “West Bank“ Arab communities.

Israeli leaders rebut the arguments with historical references to the root causes of the “Palestinian problem” involving Arab populations eager to join the pan-Arab war to destroy Israel at the time of its modern restoration in 1948.

Presidential contender worked with terrorist
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

Quote Originally Posted by crumpet View Post
    These issues are all legitimate to bring up..........for any and all candidates. What is starting to concern me is that their seems to be a knee jerk reaction by Obama supporters to automatically call foul on any criticism of him or any questions about his past involvements, connections, and activities. All candidates get shit thrown at them, hard, and he will get more of it as the election grows closer.
    Maybe someone should tell Hillary that since she was the one screaming that Obama was 'attacking' her and using 'Karl Rove' tactics just because he was sending out mailers on her voting record in Ohio. And, if I remember correctly, some of her supporters were saying the same thing. So, that knee-jerk reaction that you seem to be concerned about can be found among SOME Hillary supporters, too.

^^K, another post of "Well, OTHER people are doing it too! look over there! stop paying attention to MY guy!"

Honestly, people..
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

SS Diva let me say I'm very impressed by how up on these topics you are! I do think that Obama needs to be prepared to address these issues. Right or wrong a lot of people in the US do have issues with the muslim beliefs.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    ^^K, another post of "Well, OTHER people are doing it too! look over there! stop paying attention to MY guy!"

Honestly, people..
    Grim, I'm not disagreeing that there are Obama supporters who have blinders on about him and see him as perfect. But when that claim gets leveled against Obama supporters, then I'm going to point out that the same goes for some Hillary supporters, too. Just being fair. Neither side is perfect.

And I know Obama is going to take a LOT of shit as the election gets closer. Some real, and some made up. I'm ready for the good and the bad. I don't expect anyone to let him just coast into the White House without a fight.

^^ I would like to see Obama address the questions. The Jewish newspaper would too.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    Maybe someone should tell Hillary that since she was the one screaming that Obama was 'attacking' her and using 'Karl Rove' tactics just because he was sending out mailers on her voting record in Ohio. And, if I remember correctly, some of her supporters were saying the same thing. So, that knee-jerk reaction that you seem to be concerned about can be found among SOME Hillary supporters, too.
    Oh Hillary has a HUGE pile of mud ready to be slung at her. She pissed off the wrong Hollywood big wig, and now that guy has a movie about her illegal campaign contributions.

And McCain will get his too when the shit hits the fan about his shady and questionable ties to lobbyist.

Quote Originally Posted by gas_chick View Post
    SS Diva let me say I'm very impressed by how up on these topics you are! I do think that Obama needs to be prepared to address these issues. Right or wrong a lot of people in the US do have issues with the muslim beliefs.
    Thanks, but I think it is my duty to know these things so I can make a good, and sound decision for what fits me. All the things I know about Obama, I learned by researching him as a Hillary supporter. I watch news shows, and I search the web.
    Quote Originally Posted by tkdgirl View Post
    ^^ I would like to see Obama address the questions. The Jewish newspaper would too.
    • Ensure a Strong U.S.-Israel Partnership: Barack Obama strongly supports the U.S.-Israel relationship, believes that our first and incontrovertible commitment in the Middle East must be to the security of Israel, America's strongest ally in the Middle East. Obama supports this closeness, stating that that the United States would never distance itself from Israel.
    • Support Israel's Right to Self Defense: During the July 2006 Lebanon war, Barack Obama stood up strongly for Israel's right to defend itself from Hezbollah raids and rocket attacks, cosponsoring a Senate resolution against Iran and Syria's involvement in the war, and insisting that Israel should not be pressured into a ceasefire that did not deal with the threat of Hezbollah missiles. He believes strongly in Israel's right to protect its citizens.
    • Support Foreign Assistance to Israel: Barack Obama has consistently supported foreign assistance to Israel. He defends and supports the annual foreign aid package that involves both military and economic assistance to Israel and has advocated increased foreign aid budgets to ensure that these funding priorities are met. He has called for continuing U.S. cooperation with Israel in the development of missile defense systems.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Rosner's Blog

Shmuel Rosner Chief U.S. CorrespondentObama supports Israel. Period.
    Barack Obama's big speech on Israel is now over, and as expected, the candidate made no secret of his support and dedication to the special relationship between the U.S. and Israel. "My view is that the United States' special relationship with Israel obligates us to be helpful to them in the search for credible partners with whom they can make peace, while also supporting Israel in defending itself against enemies sworn to its destruction," were Obama's words to Haaretz last week. Today, he sounded as strong as Clinton, as supportive as Bush, as friendly as Giuliani. At least rhetorically, Obama passed any test anyone might have wanted him to pass. So, he is pro-Israel. Period.

Iran

"The kinds of communications that he would engage in and the pressure he envisions on Iran may differ in some respect from the other candidates," an adviser to Barack Obama told the NY Sun yesterday. And in the speech he made today, in Chicago, Obama showed his cards. He was clear, but not as tough as Edwards' "Let me be clear: Under no circumstances can Iran be allowed to have nuclear weapons" or Clinton's "we cannot, we should not, we must not permit Iran to build or acquire nuclear weapons."

Here's what Obama said: "The world must work to stop Iran's uranium enrichment program and prevent Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons. It is far too dangerous to have nuclear weapons in the hands of a radical theocracy. And while we should take no option, including military action, off the table, sustained and aggressive diplomacy combined with tough sanctions should be our primary means to prevent Iran from building nuclear weapons."
    Obama supports Israel. Period. - Haaretz - Israel News
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information