Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hillary Clinton begrudging Barack Obama's bedazzling

Default Hillary Clinton begrudging Barack Obama's bedazzling

OP-ED Columnist
    Maureen Dowd

A huge Ellen suddenly materialized behind Hillary on a giant screen, interrupting her speech Monday night at a fund-raiser at George Washington University in Washington.
    What better way for a desperate Hillary to try and stop her rival from running off with all her women supporters than to have a cozy satellite chat with a famous daytime talk-show host who isn’t supporting Obama?
    “Will you put a ban on glitter?” Ellen demanded.
    Diplomatically, Hillary said that schoolchildren needed it for special projects, but maybe she could ban it for anyone over 12.
    Certainly, Hillary understands the perils of glitter. The coda of her campaign has been a primal scream against the golden child of Chicago, a clanging and sometimes churlish warning that “all that glitters is not gold.”
    David Brody, the Christian Broadcasting Network correspondent
    whose interview with Hillary aired Tuesday, said the senator seemed “dumbfounded” by the Obama sensation. She has been so discombobulated that she has ignored some truisms of politics that her husband understands well: Sunny beats gloomy. Consistency beats flipping. Bedazzling beats begrudging. Confidence beats whining.

Experience does not beat excitement, though, or Nixon would have been president the first time around, Poppy Bush would have had a second term and President Gore would have stopped the earth from melting by now.
    Voters gravitate toward the presidential candidates who seem more comfortable in their skin. J.F.K. and Reagan seemed exceptionally comfortable. So did Bill Clinton and W., who both showed that comfort can be an illusion of sorts, masking deep insecurities.

The fact that Obama is exceptionally easy in his skin has made Hillary almost jump out of hers. She can’t turn on her own charm and wit because she can’t get beyond what she sees as the deep injustice of Obama not waiting his turn. Her sunshine-colored jackets on the trail hardly disguise the fact that she’s pea-green with envy.
    After saying she found her “voice” in New Hampshire, she has turned into Sybil.
    We’ve had Experienced Hillary, Soft Hillary, Hard Hillary, Misty Hillary, Sarcastic Hillary, Joined-at-the-Hip-to-Bill Hillary, Her-Own-Person-Who-Just-Happens-to-Be-Married-to-a-Former-President Hillary, It’s-My-Turn Hillary, Cuddly Hillary, Let’s-Get-Down-in-the-Dirt-and-Fight-Like-Dogs Hillary.

Just as in the White House, when her cascading images and hairstyles became dizzying and unsettling, suggesting that the first lady woke up every day struggling to create a persona, now she seems to think there is a political solution to her problem. If she can only change this or that about her persona, or tear down this or that about Obama’s. But the whirlwind of changes and charges gets wearing.

By threatening to throw the kitchen sink at Obama, the Clinton campaign simply confirmed the fact that they might be going down the drain.
    Hillary and her aides urged reporters to learn from the “Saturday Night Live” skit about journalists having crushes on Obama.

“Maybe we should ask Barack if he’s comfortable and needs another pillow,” she said tartly in the debate here Tuesday night. She peevishly and pointlessly complained about getting the first question too often, implying that the moderators of MSNBC — a channel her campaign has complained has been sexist — are giving Obama an easy ride.

Beating on the press is the lamest thing you can do. It is only because of the utter open-mindedness of the press that Hillary can lose 11 contests in a row and still be treated as a contender.
    Hillary and her top aides could not say categorically that her campaign had not been the source on the Drudge Report, as Matt Drudge claimed, for a picture of Obama in African native garb that the mean-spirited hope will conjure up a Muslim Manchurian candidate vibe.

At a rally on Sunday, she tried sarcasm about Obama, talking about how “celestial choirs” singing and magic wands waving won’t get everybody together to “do the right thing.”

With David Brody, Hillary evoked the specter of a scary Kool-Aid cult. “I think that there is a certain phenomenon associated with his candidacy, and I am really struck by that because it is very much about him and his personality and his presentation,” she said, adding that “it dangerously oversimplifies the complexity of the problems we face, the challenge of navigating our country through some difficult uncharted waters. We are a nation at war. That seems to be forgotten.”
    Actually it’s not forgotten. It’s a hard sell for Hillary to say that she is the only one capable of leading this country in a war when she helped in leading the country into that war. Or to paraphrase Obama from the debate here, the one who drives the bus into the ditch can’t drive it out.
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

This thread is a lie.

I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    This thread is a lie.

That's not fair! You are always picking on my threads first!!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

I gotta say, I can totally understand why there is such a huge cult of Obama. His voice is just...*sigh*, yeah. Sexy, masculine, strong and believable. However, I'm not voting for him.
    Coffee is my happy drug

^^ I am not voting for him based on his looks or voice..to be honest I think if anyone was voting for him because of his looks, then they need their voting privileges stripped!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

David Brody, the Christian Broadcasting Network correspondent
    whose interview with Hillary aired Tuesday, said the senator seemed “dumbfounded” by the Obama sensation.
    I find it funny that Hillary is 'dumbfounded' by the Obama sensation, when she gained first-hand experience with the power of a charismatic presidential candidate when her HUSBAND Bill was running for president in 1991. But I guess when the charisma doesn't directly benefit HER she gets 'misled' by it.

On a sidenote, I wonder if Ellen will get blasted for supporting Hillary because she's a white woman like Oprah got blasted for supporting Obama because he's black?

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    I find it funny that Hillary is 'dumbfounded' by the Obama sensation, when she gained first-hand experience with the power of a charismatic presidential candidate when her HUSBAND Bill was running for president in 1991. But I guess when the charisma doesn't directly benefit HER she gets 'misled' by it.

On a sidenote, I wonder if Ellen will get blasted for supporting Hillary because she's a white woman like Oprah got blasted for supporting Obama because he's black?
    Oh Pahlease..no not happening!!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

A huge Ellen suddenly materialized behind Hillary on a giant screen, interrupting her speech Monday night at a fund-raiser at George Washington University in Washington.
    What better way for a desperate Hillary to try and stop her rival from running off with all her women supporters than to have a cozy satellite chat with a famous daytime talk-show host who isnt supporting Obama?
    So now celebrity endorsements are the mark of desperation? Guess Obama's in a heap of trouble then.

The fact that Obama is exceptionally easy in his skin has made Hillary almost jump out of hers. She cant turn on her own charm and wit because she cant get beyond what she sees as the deep injustice of Obama not waiting his turn. Her sunshine-colored jackets on the trail hardly disguise the fact that shes pea-green with envy.
    Wow, a bitter "journalist" who reads minds! This lady should be somewhere making money a la John Edward (the medium, not the politician). Clearly, she's not biased.

Just as in the White House, when her cascading images and hairstyles became dizzying and unsettling, suggesting that the first lady woke up every day struggling to create a persona, now she seems to think there is a political solution to her problem. If she can only change this or that about her persona, or tear down this or that about Obamas. But the whirlwind of changes and charges gets wearing.
    More incredibly inappropriate attempts at psuedo-psychoanalysis. Just a woman tearing another woman down, seemingly because of her appearance, to ultimately suit her own interests. But introduce it that way, and that somehow makes it innocuous, right? It shifts it to another section of our minds...one that wouldn't take her seriously as a leader. It's all PR, marketing.

She peevishly and pointlessly complained about getting the first question too often, implying that the moderators of MSNBC a channel her campaign has complained has been sexist are giving Obama an easy ride.
    MSNBC has been ridiculously bad. Nothing they have to say about her isn't tainted with misogynist---or at least Clinton hating---disdain. You can't deny that she has a point here.

Beating on the press is the lamest thing you can do. It is only because of the utter open-mindedness of the press that Hillary can lose 11 contests in a row and still be treated as a contender.
    This is by far the most ridiculous part of the entire op ed. Clinton is a contender because based on the delegate count she could still come away with the nomination, much as the republican-owned media would loathe that. To say with a straight face that they have been "open-minded" in considering her is a laughable at best. The campaign by the media to present her as a negative harpy has been consistent and focused, as I imagine the one against Obama will be to present the guy as an unsuspecting UN-favoring muslim will be if he is the nominee.

Hillary evoked the specter of a scary Kool-Aid cult. I think that there is a certain phenomenon associated with his candidacy, and I am really struck by that because it is very much about him and his personality and his presentation, she said, adding that it dangerously oversimplifies the complexity of the problems we face, the challenge of navigating our country through some difficult uncharted waters. We are a nation at war. That seems to be forgotten.
    Did she evoke a scary Kool-Aid cult? Or did she raise some valid points? All I see is the writer doing some fear-mongering of her own. Clinton can't get a fair shake, and it's tiresome.

Actually its not forgotten. Its a hard sell for Hillary to say that she is the only one capable of leading this country in a war when she helped in leading the country into that war.
    This may seem unfair, but I wish I could go back in time and take a poll of the people who were gung-ho about Iraq. Seems to me there were a damn lot of them. I should know, since I was dead set against it and was called unpatriotic and got in several embarrassing arguments over it. Where was the outcry then?

My point is this: the people wanted the war then. Not all of us, but most Americans did. What would those people have done then, had Clinton not represented their wishes? And isn't it interesting that those people have perfect hindsight, but haven't picked up on the irony? Less interesting, and more tragic, is that some simply have no interest in learning from history. This is the era of the moment. Unfortunately we all have to suffer the consequences.
    Burt Johnson: I don't drink because drinking affects your decision-making.
    Arthur: You may be right. I can't decide.

^^The fact is Hillary voted for a war based on a lie. So, that plays into her judgement as a potential president, and it makes her shots at Obama's lack of experience laughable, since he was publicly against the war from the start. And it doesn't matter how many Americans were dumb enough to want the war. Those who voted for the war had to do what was in the best interest of the country before sending our troops into a war based on a lie. Besides, according to Hillary, she only voted for the war because super-genius George Bush was able to mislead her. That speaks volumes about her judgement. How hard a choice is that? Continue going after Osama Bin Ladin or invade a country that DIDN'T attack us because they MIGHT have weapons of mass destruction?

And the only reasons why people were for the war in the beginning was because 1) people were still pissed off about 9/11 and wanted us to bomb ANY Arab country, and 2) Bush continually kept mentioning 9/11 in all of his speeches leading up to the war. So, by simple word association people just started believing that Iraq was behind 9/11, and some still believe that today.
    Last edited by kingcap72; February 28th, 2008 at 02:24 AM.

And the only reasons why people were for the war in the beginning was because 1) people were still pissed off about 9/11 and wanted us to bomb ANY Arab country, and 2) Bush continually kept mentioning 9/11 in all of his speeches leading up to the war. So, by simple word association people just started believing that Iraq was behind 9/11, and some still believe that today.
    I hope this doesn't come off as rude (I really do!) but that last paragraph could almost be applied to today. I.E.:
    1) people are pissed at the way W lied to and screwed over the country, militarily, financially, emotionally, etc; 2) Obama repeats the "hope" and "change" mantra in his speeches, combined with very skilled oratory that people are so hungry for. People start believing he's the "answer." He's tapped into the emotion, he's recognized the longing. Does that mean he can meet our needs? The practical minutiae that governing on a large scale entails? That remains to be seen. He very well may be able to. I wouldn't know.

I like him, I just wish Clinton could get a fair shake, that's all. Either way, let's put Rove out of a job, at least working for the repugs.
    Burt Johnson: I don't drink because drinking affects your decision-making.
    Arthur: You may be right. I can't decide.

Quote Originally Posted by LastLook View Post
    I hope this doesn't come off as rude (I really do!) but that last paragraph could almost be applied to today. I.E.:
    1) people are pissed at the way W lied to and screwed over the country, militarily, financially, emotionally, etc; 2) Obama repeats the "hope" and "change" mantra in his speeches, combined with very skilled oratory that people are so hungry for. People start believing he's the "answer." He's tapped into the emotion, he's recognized the longing. Does that mean he can meet our needs? The practical minutiae that governing on a large scale entails? That remains to be seen. He very well may be able to. I wouldn't know.

I like him, I just wish Clinton could get a fair shake, that's all. Either way, let's put Rove out of a job, at least working for the repugs.
    Don't worry it didn't come off as rude. And you might have a point there. Except Obama is talking about withdrawing the troops just like Hillary is saying. The only difference is credibility. Since Obama didn't actually vote for the war and Hillary did, people are more likely to believe him than Hillary. Especially since Hillary refuses to admit that she made a mistake voting for the war, like John Edwards did, and she wants us to keep permanent military bases in a country that we illegally invaded.

And the same rule of credibility applies to Ron Paul, since he was one of the few Republicans that was against the war from the start. And that's why all of the people in the military who are donating to campaigns are donating to Obama and Paul.

Now, whether Obama will be able to do what he says and get the troops home remains to be seen. But if he gets the nomination, he's going to look pretty good against McCain who is talking about the troops being in Iraq for a 100 years.

Maureen Dowd is a well-known Clinton hater. She is also well-known for her disdain for most women who are more accomplished than she is. Anybody -- male or female -- who tries to make an argument based on someone's appearance, has already lost. My husband gave me a book of her columns/essays last year and let's just say I got through one of them and scanned a couple more before realizing what kind of game she was playing.

It is an Opinion Editorial. However, I think she raises some good points. I don't hate Hillary, not at all. I want a woman President, but not this woman.
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

Don't worry it didn't come off as rude. And you might have a point there. Except Obama is talking about withdrawing the troops just like Hillary is saying. The only difference is credibility. Since Obama didn't actually vote for the war and Hillary did, people are more likely to believe him than Hillary. Especially since Hillary refuses to admit that she made a mistake voting for the war, like John Edwards did, and she wants us to keep permanent military bases in a country that we illegally invaded.

And the same rule of credibility applies to Ron Paul, since he was one of the few Republicans that was against the war from the start. And that's why all of the people in the military who are donating to campaigns are donating to Obama and Paul.

Now, whether Obama will be able to do what he says and get the troops home remains to be seen. But if he gets the nomination, he's going to look pretty good against McCain who is talking about the troops being in Iraq for a 100 years.
    Is it not true that the reason he didn't vote for the war was because he was not a member of the senate at that time and wasn't eligible to vote yes or no?

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze View Post
    Maureen Dowd is a well-known Clinton hater. She is also well-known for her disdain for most women who are more accomplished than she is. Anybody -- male or female -- who tries to make an argument based on someone's appearance, has already lost. My husband gave me a book of her columns/essays last year and let's just say I got through one of them and scanned a couple more before realizing what kind of game she was playing.
    She hasn't been the same since Michael Douglas dropped her bitter ass for Catherine Zeta-Jones!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information