Thread: Scientists try to keep pro-lifers from banning stem cell research

Exclamation Scientists try to keep pro-lifers from banning stem cell research

A constitutional ammendment? Good bloody luck with that!

Mo. Groups Propose Stem Cell Amendment
    Oct 11 3:39 PM US/Eastern
    Email this story

By DAVID A. LIEB
    Associated Press Writer

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo.

A coalition of researchers and patients groups proposed a constitutional amendment Tuesday to protect stem cell research in Missouri, where anti-abortion activists have tried to outlaw a particular type of research they say amounts to the taking of a human life.

Supporters of the amendment must gather at least 139,181 petition signatures from voters to get the measure on the November 2006 ballot. Anti-abortion groups want to "criminalize some of the most promising types of stem cell research," coalition chairman Donn Rubin said.

The coalition claimed its proposal was the first in the nation to protect patients' rights to be treated with any eventual stem cell- related cures. It would specify that stem cell research, therapies and cures allowed under federal law also are permitted in Missouri.

The coalition was formed in response to anti-abortion groups' efforts to ban a certain type of stem cell research, called somatic cell nuclear transfer. The procedure, also known as "therapeutic cloning," uses human eggs specifically for research, harvesting stem cells from them that researchers hope to use to develop cures for a variety of illnesses.

A bill earlier this year to outlaw the research stalled in the state Senate without ever reaching a vote, but the bill's sponsor has pledged to make another attempt next year.

A constitutional amendment would require a simple majority of voters to be enacted and would supersede any state laws. The coalition backing it includes medical professionals from the University of Missouri and Washington University; former U.S. Sens. John Danforth and Thomas Eagleton; and organizations like the American Diabetes Association and the Parkinson's Action Network.

Missouri Right to Life, one of the leading opponents to therapeutic cloning, vowed Tuesday to continue pushing for a ban in the Legislature and predicted the voter defeat of the amendment.

"The biotech industry is seeking to minimize human life for economic purposes," said Missouri Right to Life Lobbyist Susan Klein. "They're trying to redefine when life begins."
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

UGGGggghhhhhhh don't get me started.
    He who knows does not speak.
    He who speaks does not know.
    Lao-tzu

Oh no, please get started
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

The procedure, also known as "therapeutic cloning," uses human eggs specifically for research, harvesting stem cells from them that researchers hope to use to develop cures for a variety of illnesses.
    i assume that is some sort of typo? stem cells don't come from eggs. they come from a fertilized egg, which is a fetus.

Quote Originally Posted by dexter7 View Post
    i assume that is some sort of typo? stem cells don't come from eggs. they come from a fertilized egg, which is a fetus.

No, NO, NO.

A fertilized egg is NOT A FETUS. A fertilized egg is a zygote. The zygote then develops into an embryo. The developing baby is not termed a "fetus" until the eighth week of development.

You can get stem cells from the umbilical cord and stuff too...

and lets face it, as long as abortions are legal people are going to get them. Why not put it to good use? Stem cell research could potentially help millions of people...

As long as they arent getting women pregnant just to abort, I really dont see much of a problem. Just fertilizing an egg in a lab? Whoop dee doo.

I suppose it all depends on when you consider the beginning of life though.
    Dramatically overdramatic

Quote Originally Posted by haggard View Post
    You can get stem cells from the umbilical cord and stuff too...

and lets face it, as long as abortions are legal people are going to get them. Why not put it to good use? Stem cell research could potentially help millions of people...

As long as they arent getting women pregnant just to abort, I really dont see much of a problem. Just fertilizing an egg in a lab? Whoop dee doo.

I suppose it all depends on when you consider the beginning of life though.
    Exactly, I am all for stem cell research. My aunt had lymphoma and the only reason she was "cured" was b/c my mom (her identical twin) was able to transfer her stem cells to "cure" my aunt. Now, not everyone is lucky enough to have an identical twin. Why not give other pple a chance to have a longer, happier life? It's not like they are harvesting fetuses in some lab somewhere waiting to kill them when the opportunity arises to use the stemcells. I guess I am rather biased on this topic.

Quote Originally Posted by disruptivehair View Post
    No, NO, NO.

A fertilized egg is NOT A FETUS. A fertilized egg is a zygote. The zygote then develops into an embryo. The developing baby is not termed a "fetus" until the eighth week of development.
    no stem cells are going to come from a zygote, i guess that was my point. you aren't going to get anything until things are much farther along. so the "egg" comment was totally misleading.

Quote Originally Posted by dexter7 View Post
    no stem cells are going to come from a zygote, i guess that was my point. you aren't going to get anything until things are much farther along. so the "egg" comment was totally misleading.

The point stands that a "fertilized egg" is not a fetus. It is a zygote. If we're going to debate this issue rationally, we have to use the correct terminology.

A fertilized egg is just a mass of dividing cells until a specific point. Either way, pass the stem cells... I haven't had breakfast and I need a facelift.

Oh boohoo so you might get a cloned human some day.. I guess that would poke a pretty hole in the religious "we're special, god divined creatures made in his image!" mentality.

Heavens to Betsy, that would be a giant shame if that was taken away from them.

*cough*

But Bush said the constitution was an immutable document, never to be changed at the whims of activist judges! (unless said judges put in an anti-homo clause, of course.. or install him as president.. or create anti-abortion clauses...etc)

Meh, argument still stands

Ahh no activist judges are alright as long as they put in ammendments that reflect Shrub's wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by disruptivehair View Post
    The point stands that a "fertilized egg" is not a fetus. It is a zygote. If we're going to debate this issue rationally, we have to use the correct terminology.
    well, that is my original point exactly! that the news article contained point blank incorrect information.

Thread Information