Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barack Obama may face grilling on his patriotism

Default Barack Obama may face grilling on his patriotism

Obama may face grilling on patriotism
    Associated Press
    Sen. Barack Obama's refusal to wear an American flag lapel pin along with a photo of him not putting his hand over his heart during the National Anthem led conservatives on Internet and in the media to question his patriotism.
    Now Obama's wife, Michelle, has drawn their ire, too, for saying recently that she's really proud of her country for the first time in her adult life.
    Conservative consultants say that combined, the cases could be an issue for Obama in the general election if he wins the nomination, especially as he runs against Vietnam war hero Sen. John McCain.
    "The reason it hasn't been an issue so far is that we're still in the microcosm of the Democratic primary," said Republican consultant Roger Stone. "Many Americans will find the three things offensive. Barack Obama is out of the McGovern wing of the party, and he is part of the blame America first crowd."
    Opponents of Sen. John Kerry proved in the 2004 election that voters are sensitive to suggestions that a candidate is not sufficiently patriotic. The Democratic presidential nominee's campaign was torpedoed by critics of his Vietnam War record called the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth, even though he won multiple military honors and was lauded by his superiors.
    The Swift Boat campaign started as a relatively small television ad buy that exploded into an issue that dogged Kerry for months. The Massachusetts senator has conceded since losing to President Bush that the campaign and his lackluster response to unsubstantiated allegations he considered unworthy of a reaction likely cost him the election. And the term even became part of the campaign lexicon — swift boating.
    Obama already is the subject of a shadowy smear campaign based on the Internet that falsely suggests he's a Muslim intent on destroying the United States. Obama is a Christian and has been fighting the e-mail hoax, which also claims he doesn't put his hand over his heart during the Pledge of Allegiance, and he's been trying to correct the misinformation.
    "Whenever I'm in the United States Senate, I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America," Obama frequently tells voters.
    "I've been going to the same church for 20 years, praising Jesus," he adds.
    Retired Major General Scott Gration, an Obama military adviser, said he expects the attacks will only increase if Obama wins the Democratic nomination.
    "People are projecting things and taking things out of context," Gration said. "There's absolutely no question in my mind that Michelle and Barack are extremely patriotic, appreciate our freedoms and our values and everything else that the flag represents."
    Officials with the McCain campaign and the Republican Party say they won't be suggesting Obama is less than patriotic, and instead plan to focus their criticisms on his record and inexperience if he wins the nomination. Well-funded outside groups, however, consider anything fair game.
    Conservative Republican consultant Keith Appell, who worked with the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth, said Obama's opposition to the war will create a "striking contrast between McCain the war hero and Obama the poster child for the anti-war movement."
    "If you are McCain, you want to play up the decorated war hero, loves his country, served his country," Appell said. "You want to play those themes up as much as possible, especially in comparison to Obama and his role in the anti-war movement."
    On Monday, Michelle Obama told an audience in Milwaukee, "For the first time in my adult life, I am really proud of my country. Not just because Barack is doing well, but I think people are hungry for change."
    Cindy McCain, McCain's wife, days later responded by saying, "I have, and always will be, proud of my country." Barack Obama has expressed frustration that his wife's remarks had been taken out of context and turned into political fodder — both the Obamas say she was talking about politics in the United States, not the country itself.
    Last summer, Obama was photographed by Time magazine at an event in Iowa standing with his hands folded during the national anthem. His primary rivals Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton and New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson appear beside him, with their hands on their hearts.

It has been repeatedly reported that the moment came during the Pledge of Allegiance, but that's not the case.
    In October, Obama told Iowa television station KCRG that he decided to stop wearing a U.S. flag lapel pin during the run-up to the Iraq war because it had become "a substitute for, I think, true patriotism."
    "I decided I won't wear that pin on my chest. Instead, I'm going to try to tell the American people what I believe will make this country great and, hopefully, that will be a testimony to my patriotism," Obama said.
    Obama's comments led conservatives and media commentators to question his patriotism.
    "First he kicked his American flag pin to the curb. Now Barack Obama has a new round of patriotism problems. Wait until you hear what the White House hopeful didn't do during the singing of the national anthem," said Steve Doocy, co-host of "Fox and Friends" on the Fox News Channel.
    "He felt it OK to come out of the closet as the domestic insurgent he is," former radio host Mark Williams said on Fox.
    Gration said he had a copy of the national anthem photo e-mailed to him by a friend who didn't know the facts and questioned how a military man could support someone who doesn't honor the Pledge of Allegiance.
    "I go to baseball games and football games and there's just a minority of us who put our hands over our heart. It's not an indication of patriotism," Gration said. Gration said he personally wears a flag pin, but "if I meet someone who doesn't have a lapel pin, it doesn't mean they are more or less patriotic than I am." And, he added, "I don't think you can find Barack again not putting his hand over his heart at the national anthem."

I love how Obama not wearing an American flag pin or not putting his hand over his heart for the pledge of allegiance, like millions of other people in this country don't do, is a sign that Obama doesn't love his country. Of course, this is all just code for 'he's really a Muslim sent here to destroy the country from within.'

Because automatically a flag pin and a hand on the heart means you care about the country and your fellow citizens. George Bush does wear a flag pin and puts his hand over his heart for the pledge, and he's done more to damage this country than any terrorist. Gotta love the Republicans.

Whatever context you give his wife's comment it was an extremely stupid comment to make. The only reason she has found to like her country in her entire life is how it seems to have gone gaga over her husband? I almost hope Obama wins after this just to see what other stupid shit his wife will say next. She seems like a real moron.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    George Bush does wear a flag pin and puts his hand over his heart for the pledge, and he's done more to damage this country than any terrorist. Gotta love the Republicans.

Such bullshit...

If they're going to start comparing who's more patriotic, then lets just have them all whip out their dicks and we'll judge on that. Hil can have Bill's stand in for her
    Last edited by witchcurlgirl; February 23rd, 2008 at 02:46 PM. Reason: spelling
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Unless you ver ze emblem uff ze fazerland, you are not patriotic tovards our glorious reich
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Such bullshit...

If they're going to start comparing who's more patriotic, then lets just have them all whip out their dicks and we'll judge on that. Hil can have Bill's stand in for her

I bet Hillary's would be the biggest of them all, but she just wouldn't show it. McCain's is probably all shriveled and gross and probably looks like a spaghetti noodle.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Unless you ver ze emblem uff ze fazerland, you are not patriotic tovards our glorious reich
    Exactly. Just exactly.

This is pretty desperate. All of those lapel pins are made in China anyway! I wouldn't wear one either, I might get lead poisoning.

How exactly does somebody "prove" their patriotism anyway? These bullshit claims are a huge waste of time.

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleWasHere View Post
    aww Dubya needed to wub his wittle tummy

^^ "Eating thousand-dollar bills for breakfast really gives me a tummyache, huh-huh."

Barak had best be careful with his wife. His wife's remarks were pretty stupid. Does anyone remember Teresa Heinz Kerry? Damn, I miss her. That drunken bitch was the best part of Kerry's campaign.

haha, well I still prefer Michelle Obama to the other two first mates (ha!) McCain's wife must have been an original prototype of the Wifebot that Kat(i)e is based on, and Clinton's husband... well I won't get started on that!

this actually makes me like obama more than i did before. i hate this trend of flag-waving, pin-wearing, america ra ra ra blind patriotism that started after 9-11 and got worst with every country w went on to invade.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by lurkur View Post
    haha, well I still prefer Michelle Obama to the other two first mates (ha!) McCain's wife must have been an original prototype of the Wifebot that Kat(i)e is based on, and Clinton's husband... well I won't get started on that!
    Cindy McCain looks like the Queen of botox on Stepford street. And don't even get me started on Billy boy. That Lincoln bedroom will have a turnstyle on the damn door.

Quote Originally Posted by yanna View Post
    Whatever context you give his wife's comment it was an extremely stupid comment to make. The only reason she has found to like her country in her entire life is how it seems to have gone gaga over her husband? I almost hope Obama wins after this just to see what other stupid shit his wife will say next. She seems like a real moron.
    Actually, I don't have a problem with what she said. I think most Americans tend to whitewash their country's actions in the world abroad. The City on a Hill mentality persists way too much.

It may not have been the best PR statement but at least she's willing to say what she really thinks, which is more than most people will ever do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information