Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Barack Obama wins Wisconsin; Wis. exit poll: Obama with broad backing

Default Barack Obama wins Wisconsin; Wis. exit poll: Obama with broad backing

WASHINGTON (AP) - Barack Obama garnered broad support from nearly all types of Wisconsin voters Tuesday and showed strong signs of eroding Hillary Rodham Clinton's usual coalition, including white women and working-class whites, according to exit polls.

Sen. Obama, D-Ill., had a modest lead among whites and was splitting the women's vote with his rival. He also was tightening his strong grip on male and younger voters, according to preliminary data from surveys of voters leaving polling places across the state.

Obama also was performing strongly with young whites, middle-aged people and moderates while expanding his decisive leads with independents, college-educated, high income and very liberal voters.

Clinton's strengths were coming from less-educated and older voters, two of her mainstays this year. Just over half of those with no more than a high school diploma were supporting the New York senator, as were six in 10 of those over age 65.

That was about her average margin among both groups in the 21 competitive Democratic primaries so far this year.

Obama and Clinton were splitting the votes of those earning less than $50,000 a year - significantly, including whites. In previous primaries, she led him among whites making that amount of money by 23 percentage points, and had a narrow lead among people of all races earning that amount.

Clinton's muscle also has come in part from a 22 percentage point lead she has held over Obama among white women in earlier primaries. Tuesday, they were running even.

About nine in 10 Wisconsin Democratic voters were white. There was not enough early data for any meaningful information on how blacks were voting, but in the past eight in 10, or more, have backed Obama.

Six in 10 men were supporting Obama, including the same proportion of white men. That is a group Obama has done increasingly well with, especially since former North Carolina Sen. John Edwards left the race two weeks ago.

Obama has dominated young voters all year, leading Clinton by nearly 20 points in the primaries and typically drawing huge crowds on college campuses. In early exit poll returns, Obama was getting a larger than usual three-fourths of the votes of those under age 30, including nearly the same numbers of whites that age.

He also was drawing backing from two-thirds of all those age 30-44.

Almost six in 10 liberals and nearly as many moderates were supporting Obama, another indication he is gaining among groups that usually tilt Clinton's way. In previous contests, he has done strongly among the most liberal voters, and he was doing so again Tuesday. But he has had only a slight advantage with all liberals while the two have evenly divided moderates.

Obama led among voters who said race and gender were not important factors in choosing a candidate, while Clinton had leads with those who considered them significant.

In a response that might resonate as the campaign moves next to economically ailing Ohio, seven in 10 said U.S. trade takes more jobs from Wisconsin than it creates. Obama led with those voters. The economy was seen by Ohio Democrats as the country's top problem, and Obama led with that group, too.

While eight in 10 Democrats said they would be satisfied if Obama were the nominee, seven in 10 said the same about Clinton.

Underscoring how the Democratic race was creating more interest than the all-but-decided Republican contest, Wisconsin's independents - free to vote in either primary - were opting for the Democratic contest by more than 2-to-1.

On the Republican side, the preliminary figures showed Arizona Sen. John McCain making some gains with his party's pivotal conservative voters, but still having some fences to mend.

Huckabee, as usual, was doing strongly with white, born-again and evangelical Christians, winning six in 10 of their votes. But they comprised only a quarter of voters in the GOP contest.

McCain was winning six in 10 votes of all other voters. That included getting just over half the votes of people calling themselves loyal Republicans. Among independents - his usual strength - he was attracting slightly more than four in 10 votes, compared to one-third for Huckabee and one in 10 for Texas Rep. Ron Paul.

McCain and Huckabee were evenly dividing conservatives, a group McCain has struggled all year to win, but it was a better showing for him than usual. He had a near 3-to-1 lead among moderates, a group that has strongly backed him.

The figures came from partial samples of an exit poll conducted by Edison Media Research and Mitofsky International in 35 precincts in Wisconsin for The Associated Press and television networks.

Those interviewed included 878 Democrats and 454 Republicans. The margin of sampling error was plus or minus 5 percentage points for Democrats and plus or minus 7 percentage points for Republicans.

AP Polling Director Mike Mokrzycki contributed to this report.

Wis. Exit Poll: Obama With Broad Backing - AOL News
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

In one state it might have been a fluke, but in 9 states it's a movement!! People are doing their homework!!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

As long as we can keep it going into Texas....I am ecstatic about how many demographics he has been able to reach.

Quote Originally Posted by january View Post
    As long as we can keep it going into Texas....I am ecstatic about how many demographics he has been able to reach.
    I'm so pumped up with this win, and seeing the crowd in Houston! Tomorrow I"m driving out to TX to campaign in West Texas for Obama. I've organized various trips of CA-based volunteers to travel out to TX: at last count, I had 60 VOLUNTEERS traveling out there in car-pools or flying, on their own dime to help out. Its amazing. TX volunteers are opening their homes to the CA volunteers. Its spectacular how much Sen. Obama has motivated and brought people together.

Quote Originally Posted by january View Post
    I do also! The demographics he is winning are the ones they said he couldn't.. This is so beautiful!!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Quote Originally Posted by Calimoonchild View Post
    I'm so pumped up with this win, and seeing the crowd in Houston! Tomorrow I"m driving out to TX to campaign in West Texas for Obama. I've organized various trips of CA-based volunteers to travel out to TX: at last count, I had 60 VOLUNTEERS traveling out there in car-pools or flying, on their own dime to help out. Its amazing. TX volunteers are opening their homes to the CA volunteers. Its spectacular how much Sen. Obama has motivated and brought people together.
    This is so amazingly beautiful. He has brought so many people together! Amazing!! And it's happening, now!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

You know, the fact that he was raised by a single mother, is of mixed race, wasn't brought up in a wealthy or privileged home...I truly feel that this is one reason why people actually can relate to him more than the typical politician. He wasn't groomed from birth to be President of the United States. Win or lose, I'm really really proud to be an American today and to show the progress that we have made within the last fifty years. It really is an inspiration.

Cali, thanks for all the hard work you've done! I wish I was in the US right now. All I can tell you is that Obama has the young people here in Egypt pumped up! There's Obama 2008 stickers everywhere! Its really created a level of excitement even here.

it's either homework doing, disgust with the last 2 administrations, or mass delusion based on platitudes.

Given the track record of the last decade, guess which one I'm thinking.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    it's either homework doing, disgust with the last 2 administrations, or mass delusion based on platitudes.

This one:disgust with the last 2 administrations
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

OK, I want to like Obama. PLEASE someone tell me how he plans on orchestrating everything he says he is going to do. And please don't point me to his speeches or his website. You really don't get concrete information from either of those.

I am a die hard democrat and will support the chosen candidate, but if its Obama, I would like to at least feel good about it. Where are you supporters getting your info? I've heard the speeches. They sound terrific. Where does he explain his plan of action?

My my, didn't we all just dip our tongues in some acid today.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post

I'll take What are mass delusions based on platitudes for $500, Alex. Right below "A thousand points of light" and right above "A Uniter, not a Divider"
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I'm happy Obama won Wisconsin. I love the fact that Hillary kept demanding a debate, and he still beat her.

Quote Originally Posted by crackho View Post
    OK, I want to like Obama. PLEASE someone tell me how he plans on orchestrating everything he says he is going to do. And please don't point me to his speeches or his website. You really don't get concrete information from either of those.

I am a die hard democrat and will support the chosen candidate, but if its Obama, I would like to at least feel good about it. Where are you supporters getting your info? I've heard the speeches. They sound terrific. Where does he explain his plan of action?
    I'll agree that Obama needs to go into more specifics on things beyond just the debates. But, then again, none of the candidates are really going into specifics on how they plan to pull off these sweeping changes and policies. Hopefully, once Hillary is out of the way, and the race is down to Obama and McCain, they BOTH can start laying out more specifics.

^^ Trying to get a politician to talk specifics is like trying to grab a greased eel
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by crackho View Post

Edit: i think I replied here, to your other questions in the gay thread. Oh well, this is my answer to you!

Actually, Sen. Obama's site links to a variety of other media sites, PBS, CNN, newspapers. His site is very thorough and cross-referenced to other independent sites and sources.

Though it doesn't get a lot of press, in at-least two of the debates, Obama has stated that:

A. He believes in full civil unions with the same rights as marriage
    and
    B. He believes in leaving the decision to endorse or not endorse
    marriage up to the denominations, using his church as an example of a
    church that recognizes gay marriage.

Here's some links that might help though:
    pride.barackobama.com | Obama Pride Home
    Barack Obama on Gay and Lesbian Rights - Where does Barack Obama Stand for Gays and Lesbians
    The Bilerico Project | Obama Talks Gay Rights on MTV

And then a site in general on LGBT issues of all the candidates:
    Out for Obama: lesbian, gay, bi, trans (LGBT) supporters of Barack Obama

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    ^^ Trying to get a politician to talk specifics is like trying to grab a greased eel
    I agree with you there. Either they tend to be vague or they just lie.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information