Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hilary Clinton loses BIG!!

Default Hilary Clinton loses BIG!!

WASHINGTON - Barack Obama powered past Hillary Rodham Clinton in the race for Democratic convention delegates Tuesday on a night of triumph sweetened with outsized primary victories in Maryland, Virginia and the District of Columbia.

"Tonight we're on our way," Obama told cheering supporters in Madison, Wis. "But we know how much further we have to go," he added, celebrating eight straight victories over Clinton, the former first lady now struggling in a race she once commanded.
    The Associated Press count of delegates showed Obama with 1,210. Clinton had 1,188, falling behind for the first time since the campaign began. Neither was close to the 2,025 needed to win the nomination.
    His victories were by large margins — he was gaining about 75 percent of the vote in the nation's capital and nearly two-thirds in Virginia. In Maryland, he was winning close to 60 percent.
    By contrast, Clinton was attempting to retool her campaign in the midst of a losing streak. Her deputy campaign manager resigned, the second high-level departure in as many days.
    Campaigning in Texas, where she hopes to triumph on March 4, she said she was looking ahead, not back.
    "I'm tested, I'm ready. Now let's make it happen," she said.
    Republican front-runner John McCain won all three GOP primaries, adding to his insurmountable lead in delegates for the Republican nomination. He congratulated Mike Huckabee, his sole remaining major rival and a potential vice presidential running mate, then turned his focus on the Democrats.
    "We know where either of their candidates will lead this country, and we dare not let them," he told supporters in Alexandria, Va. "They will paint a picture of the world in which America's mistakes are a greater threat to our security than the malevolent intentions of an enemy that despises us and our ideals."
    Interviews with voters leaving the polls showed Obama narrowly defeated Clinton among white voters in Virginia, 52 percent to 47 percent, the first time he has done that in a Southern state and only the fourth time he has done so in a competitive primary this year. Clinton won the white vote by 10 percentage points in Maryland. He won 90 percent of the black vote in Virginia and almost as much in Maryland. She won a majority of white women in both states, though by less than she is accustomed to. He won among white men in Virginia, and they split that vote in Maryland.
    In all, there were 168 Democratic delegates at stake Tuesday.
    Obama moved past Clinton in the delegate chase on the basis of the day's primaries and newly released results from last Saturday's Washington caucuses. Additional delegates still to be allocated from his new victories were certain to add to his lead.

The Democratic race was the definition of unsettled, with Clinton surrendering her long-held lead in delegates, having shed her campaign manager and lent her campaign $5 million in recent days, and facing defeats next week in Wisconsin and Hawaii.
    As the votes were counted in her latest setbacks, her deputy campaign manager stepped down. Mike Henry announced his departure one day after Patti Solis Doyle was replaced as campaign manager with Maggie Williams, a longtime confidante of the former first lady.
    Clinton hopes to respond with victories in Texas and Ohio on March 4, states where both candidates have already begun television advertising.
    Since last week's Super Tuesday contests in 22 states, Obama had won a primary in Louisiana as well as caucuses in Nebraska, Washington and Maine, all of them by large margins.
    Obama has campaigned before huge crowds in recent days, and far outspent his rival on TV advertising in the states participating in the regional primary in Maryland, Virginia and the District of Columbia.
    He began airing commercials in the region more than a week ago, and spent an estimated $1.4 million. Clinton began hers last Friday, at a cost estimated at $210,000.
    With Clinton facing a series of possible defeats, and Obama riding a wave of momentum, the two camps debated which contender is more likely to defeat McCain in the general election.
    An Associated Press-Ipsos poll found Obama with a narrow lead over the Arizona senator in a potential match-up, and Clinton running about even.
    "We bring in voters who haven't given Democrats a chance" in the past, said Obama pollster Cornell Belcher, citing support from independents.
    Mark Penn, Clinton's chief strategist, countered that she holds appeal for women voters and Hispanics. "Hillary Clinton has a coalition of voters well-suited to winning the general election," he said.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

She was endorsed by our Governor Martin O'Malley, she was expecting to win here...With a light snow on the ground this morning, and an ice storm moving in this afternoon there were long lines everywhere.. The polls were kept open until 9:30pm because of the weather. I am excited that he won this area by large numbers!!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

The question of who is the more electable candidate, for the most part, should be answered now. Obama is not only winning more states than Hillary, but he's won more states than any candidate, Republican or Democrat.

But I'm not going to get my hopes up that he'll win the nomination. I can see the Dems being dumb enough to shoot themselves in the foot and make Hillary the nominee. Because since Bill Clinton left office, the Dems have consistently been putting up candidates who are the anti-Bill Clinton. First Al Gore and then John Kerry, and they lost both elections. Hillary fits in line with that thinking. While Gore, Kerry and Hillary are all intelligent like Bill is, they lack his combination of intelligence, personality, charisma and abilty to move crowds, which Obama has.

A lot of people are fearing the same thing as you, including myself. I don't see how they can give it to her, when clearly the majority of the Country is behind him. Not only can he win, but he won over Independents and Republicans in Virginia. He did just when by 5% he won by 30%!! I see back room deals, and a lot of people getting hosed!!
    The number of Democrats voting this primary election versus four years ago are astounding. Kerry and Gore didn't get this at all!! Bush energized the republicans like this in 2000!! Think about that. If these numbers continue for the Democrats into November..we can't lose. Unless, they send Hillary the person who wrote off the caucus state people, the people in South Carolina, people from smaller states, and black voters...who will stay home November 4th! Her not at least acknowledging the people who voted for her in the places she's lost make her look snobby as hell!!

And after the republican analyst heard McCains speech tonight..they said he can't beat Obama's message of hope with his message of fear!!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

I'd like to know exactly what the "message of hope" consists of. Because despite a fair bit of research, I'm still coming up empty on a lot of specifics. I also don't think vilifying someone in the same party is a good recipe for cohesion no matter which Dem ends up getting elected.

Barack and Hillary are on the same side in the big picture.

I keep saying it: he would have my vote if that
    power hungry blimp Oprah were not attached to
    him. Something tells me she will try to get a foot
    in the door, influence wise, if he gets elected.
    If she'd be endorsing Hillary, I would not have
    voted for her. They're both on the right side,
    politically. I just don't think the big fat O knows
    when to quit meddling. She's well on her
    way to "world dominance" by herself, she should
    quit her endavour to get a foot into politics.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Shit.

I never understood the why the American public dislikes Hillary so much.

Obama hasn't delivered anything but truisms. He doesn't seem to have a concept. Message of hope, what the hell is that supposed to be?

He has yet to convince me.

*waits for the candidates to call like Hayden Panitierre*
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

^^^
    i don't get it either. it's like they always go for the one that has a nice smile and charisma but doesn't say anything. sure, he's likeable but it's easy to be likeable when you don't take a firm stand on anything.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

my aunt lived in Richmond Va. we would visit her every summer growing up. they were Anti black, and i mean not phobic, just ANTI black. and they werent the only ones. everyone there said they'd never have a black president. well i hope she rolling over in her well manicured grave. of course, her mom, my gramma felt the same way, and she was one who had an affair with a black man. my grandpop made her stay with him so she could suffer for sinnin. haha, my family drama. i wish just ONE OF THEM were alive to witness it.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    ^^^
    i don't get it either. it's like they always go for the one that has a nice smile and charisma but doesn't say anything. sure, he's likeable but it's easy to be likeable when you don't take a firm stand on anything.
    It really pisses me off when intellectual, strong women get labelled as "cold" or "bitchy".

As far as I remember, everyone liked George W. smile at first, too. Haha, he's so funny, he goofs around with the journalists.

The hate campaign against Hillary was initiated by the Republican conservatists and now everyone joined in.

"But she voted for Iraq!"

Yeah, so did the whole damn country back then - in the post 9/11 panic. The whole damn country who re-elected Bush and thereby confirmed the decision once more.

Those who hissed American flags when the trops were deployed are the same who keep repeating that accusation now. As if the war in Iraq was Hillary's fault.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

I still find it amusing that anybody, ANYBODY could have been stupid enough to vote for or support the war in Iraq. I think it's absolutely hilarious that the rest of the planet said "Wtf does Iraq have to do with 9/11... or anything?"
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

^^ EXACTLY.

I like Obama. And I was damn happy to see him win here in DC, VA and MD. I was like whoop, whoop! It's very exciting. I just feel like Mccain is too old. And so status quo.

I am not convinced about Obama either. If he gets the Nom, and its looking more and more like he will, I will actually feel bad for Hillary. And I'm not really sure why---but I truly will. I was hoping she would take it. I think she has the experience and smarts to do it....

I am truly sad over this. And I hate myself for feeling that way....but I cannot help it.

Meh.

I'm just not excited about any of the prospects.

Shillary did stupid things that seem too old guard, corporate lobby for my taste

Oprama seems all fluff , cutesy good time wishy washy empty rhetoric of no substance.

The Republitards, well.. there's just no point in even looking in their direction
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

^^^^I feel like you do, Lynnie. While I like Obama as he seems (intelligent, warm, enthusiastic). It really concerns me that no one has seemed to get beyond his charisma and to actually press him hard on specifics and I truly hope that when they do (and they will get harsh if he is the nominee) that people don't becoem too protective of him and assume all attacks on him are secretly racially motivated. I would really like to not see that issue get tossed around in this race. Politics is inherently rough and people should not be expected to handle him (or Hillary) with kid gloves.

But I feel badly,too.

I wonder what will 'come out' about Barack too. Should be very interesting.

And I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling this way. Its just so odd. Its almost like I am taking it personally, which is completely retarded since I obviously don't know anyone involved, and honestly, I have nothing to do with the grand scheme of things at the end of the day.

And who knows, maybe she would have made a seriously shitty President...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information