Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barack Obama has advantage in head-to-head with John McCain

Lightbulb Barack Obama has advantage in head-to-head with John McCain

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Sen. John McCain became the likely Republican nominee after Mitt Romney decided to suspend his campaign Thursday. Now, the Democrats are debating who would do better against the Arizona Republican.

Democrats are debating who would do better against Sen. John McCain, the GOP front-runner.

Two polls this month have asked registered voters nationwide how they would vote if the choice were between McCain and Democratic Sen. Hillary Clinton.

A CNN poll, conducted by the Opinion Research Corporation February 1-3, shows Clinton three points ahead of McCain, 50 percent to 47 percent. That's within the poll's margin of error of 3 percentage points, meaning that the race is statistically tied..

A Time magazine poll, conducted February 1-4, also shows a dead heat between Clinton and McCain. Each was backed by 46 percent of those polled.

Sen. Barack Obama believes he can do better, arguing "I've got appeal that goes beyond our party."

In the CNN poll, Obama leads McCain by 8 points, 52 percent to 44 percent. That's outside the margin of error, meaning that Obama has the lead.

And in the Time poll, Obama leads McCain by 7 points, 48 percent to 41 percent -- a lead also outside of the poll's margin of error of 3 percentage points.

In both polls, Obama looks stronger than Clinton. Why?
    Don't Miss

* McCain works to unite party
    * Neck-and-neck race could hurt Democrats
    * ElectionCenter 2008: Candidates

Obama's explanation: "I think there is no doubt that she has higher negatives than any of the remaining Democratic candidates. That's just a fact, and there are some who will not vote for her."

That was three weeks ago. Now, only two Democratic candidates remain.

Clinton does have higher negatives than Obama -- and McCain. Forty-four percent of the public say they don't like Clinton, compared with 36 percent who don't like McCain and 31 percent who don't like Obama, according to the CNN poll conducted February 1-3.

Why does Obama do better against McCain than Clinton? Obama does do a little better than Clinton with independents and Republicans.

But the big difference is men: Men give McCain an 18-point lead over Clinton, 57 percent to 39 percent, according to the CNN poll. The margin of error for that question was plus or minus 5 percentage points.

But if McCain and Obama went head to head, McCain's lead among men shrinks to three, 49 percent to 46 percent -- statistically a tie.

Women, on the other hand, vote for either Clinton or Obama by similar margins.

Some Democrats may be worried about how Obama will fare with white voters. Whites give McCain a 15-point lead over Clinton, (56 percent for McCain, 41 percent for Clinton).

But Obama actually fares better than Clinton with white voters. McCain still leads, but by a smaller margin, (52 to 43 percent).

Obama argues that he can reach across party lines. And he does do a little better than Clinton with Independents and Republicans, at least in these polls.

But the big difference is that Clinton doesn't draw very well with men. Obama does.

source: Analysis: Obama has advantage in head-to-head with McCain - CNN.com
    Mischief. Mayhem. Tattoos. Soap.

"But the big difference is that Clinton doesn't draw very well with men. Obama does."

oh I wonder why

But Obama actually fares better than Clinton with white voters. McCain still leads, but by a smaller margin, (52 to 43 percent).
    This is actually the biggest surprise for me. Well, not on the Republican side, anyway.

Obama argues that he can reach across party lines. And he does do a little better than Clinton with Independents and Republicans, at least in these polls.
    I've been saying this all along. And Obama's right. He would have better luck siphoning off Republican votes. In fact, I was watching Bill Maher, and they had Republican analysts on the show who said that Conservatives tend to prefer Obama over Hillary, and are probably more likely to vote for him over her.

Thanks King. I guess we're not "fear-mongerers" after all, eh?
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

We've been saying it, but no one would listen. I hope everyone is listening NOW!!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Quote Originally Posted by january View Post
    Thanks King. I guess we're not "fear-mongerers" after all, eh?
    Yeah, I guess not, January. We've been saying this all along.

OCD

I have in the past identified myself as republican, though I've never voted straight party lines, as I voted for Billy back in the day.

I am voting left this time period. Whomever gets put up.

I decided that a couple years ago though.

I also now consider myself independant.

I'm really really really excited to see who the nominee will be and the VP ticket.

I can't wait all summer. Democratic runners are always clingons though rarely does anyone one nominee step aside ala mitt. This could take years.

^^Yeah I'm voting left whoever gets put up too. I would love to see a Clinton/Obama ticket but that's never going to happen. Barack doesn't need Hillary and she's too proud to be his VP.

OCD

Quote Originally Posted by nycgirly101 View Post
    ^^Yeah I'm voting left whoever gets put up too. I would love to see a Clinton/Obama ticket but that's never going to happen. Barack doesn't need Hillary and she's too proud to be his VP.
    You don't think they'd make love eventually and just get it on?

I wonder who either might put for VP. My friend wants Bill to be the VP. LOL

I don't particularly like Obama because of his wishy washy ways, but then again what politician isn't right? I think Hillary's better, but in the greater scheme of things, I am quite heartened to see that a Black man like Obama has a very serious chance to become the next president of the united states. Considering how much racism and hatred exists in the world and in the U.S., I would never have thought I would in my lifetime see a Black president. But I would be glad to be proven wrong, and again am ecstatic that we Americans have progressed quite rapidly in this decade or so alone.

Quote Originally Posted by OCD View Post
    You don't think they'd make love eventually and just get it on?

I wonder who either might put for VP. My friend wants Bill to be the VP. LOL
    YouTube - Umbrella Music Video Parody (Madtv)

(NSFW!)

Wrong on so many levels, but also kind of brilliant!
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

OMG!
    Mischief. Mayhem. Tattoos. Soap.

That was wrong on so many levels.. I think I am lacking my sense of humor..'cause I didn't find it funny at all!!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

That was wrong, but funny as hell.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information