Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: It's Super Tuesday

Default It's Super Tuesday

Already voted - I got to the polls by 7:20 a.m. and the place was packed out!

It's Super Tuesday Coast to Coast
    By CALVIN WOODWARD – 1 hour ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — Rivals Hillary Rodham Clinton and Barack Obama agreed on one thing Tuesday — that the coast to coast balloting would not settle their pitched struggle for the Democratic presidential nomination. Republican contenders John McCain and Mitt Romney traded a last-minute flurry of elbow jabs.

An enormous cache of delegates was at stake Super Tuesday — not enough to clinch a nomination but plenty enough to mint a runaway favorite, or even two.

That seemed more likely on the Republican side, where McCain hoped to bury his chief opponent's presidential aspirations. But Romney put up a spirited fight in California, the day's biggest prize, and said a strong performance by him there would prove "the conservatives in our party are not at all comfortable with Senator McCain leading us."

McCain rallied in Manhattan on Tuesday morning and took shots at Romney on the talk shows, accusing him of having a "terrible record as governor" and pouring millions of dollars into ads attacking him.

Romney said McCain is "so making up facts that it's really quite extraordinary."

Romney told supporters at West Virginia's Republican nominating convention Tuesday that McCain's support for global warming curbs "would effectively kill coal," a lifeblood of the state.

"This is not a long shot," he said of his candidacy. "I am the candidate who can stop John McCain."

Weather was iffy in some places. A wintry mess including snow and ice was forecast for New England, and snow was forecast for a large corridor from southwest Kansas to northern Michigan.

In Topsfield, Mass., where a steady stream of voters filed to a polling place in a cold rain, teacher Marcia Spector, 58, made the "very, very tough" decision to support Obama, reasoning he would be more able than Clinton to win the presidency in the fall. "I just feel that he is dynamic and he is for change," she said. "He doesn't bring the baggage. I think he's more electable, actually."

It was tough, too, for Mary Jordan, 43, a teacher's aide — so tough she didn't make up her mind until she was in the polling booth. Voting Republican, she went for Romney, the state's former governor, because of his business experience, while offering no one a glowing endorsement. "I think he's the least unlikable," she said. "I really didn't like any of them."

The tightness of the Democratic race and the sheer scale of the voting in nearly two dozen states left the candidates wary of making predictions as they offered last minute pitches in a round of early morning network TV interviews.

"We're all kind of guessing about what it's all going to mean because it's never happened before," Clinton said. "There's a lot we're going to find out about how all this works." She said she found it all "intriguing and somewhat mystifying."

Obama said a "split decision" was likely. "I don't think today's going to end up being decisive," he said.

The days of retail politicking in rustic diners was a distant memory, although just weeks old. Sens. Clinton and Obama each poured more than $1 million a day into TV ads in the last week alone; Clinton buying an hour on the Hallmark Channel for a town hall meeting on Monday night, Obama seeing some $250,000 disappear in 30 seconds in his Super Bowl ad a day earlier.

Not only was the electoral territory was vast, but so were the stakes. Romney boomeranged across the country and back in a 37-hour dash, branding himself the true Ronald Reagan conservative at every stop.

Romney campaigned from Tennessee to California on the eve of the voting, then turned back to attend the West Virginia convention. McCain, Obama and Clinton clustered in the hotly competitive Northeast.

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee focused on the South, his continued candidacy an open question — as was Romney's viability if he couldn't pull off surprises Tuesday.

Clinton voted near her home in Chappaqua, N.Y., accompanied by husband Bill and daughter Chelsea. "You're a Democrat, right?" election worker Evan Norris joked. Clinton smiled. "I am just very excited about today," she said. "The stakes are huge."

In Illinois, Obama supporters expressed pride for the home-state senator as they voted. "We have something great to vote for today," said Catherine Braendel, 44, a marketing consultant who lives down the street from Obama in Chicago.

In Grayslake, Ill., registered Democrat Steve Greenberg, 39, decided his vote would be more valuable on the Republican side as he thought ahead to the general election. "I went with McCain because if the Democrats lost, I'd be more comfortable with him."

McCain struggled to close the sale with his party's base after coming strikingly far without its solid support. "I will preserve my proud conservative Republican credentials" while extending a practiced hand to Democrats, he promised.

Romney sought until the end to exploit the right's mistrust of McCain, an Arizona senator who opposed President Bush's tax cuts when they were introduced, departed from orthodoxy on immigration, favors mandates to slow global warming and led campaign finance reforms that activists say trampled on their speech rights.

McCain responded with a TV ad reminding people Romney had changed some stripes. It showed Romney in a 1994 debate calling himself "an independent during the time of Reagan-Bush. I'm not trying to return to Reagan-Bush."

After months when it was all about expectations and momentum, not to mention confusion, real numbers finally became important.

The two dozen contests Tuesday were delivering 1,023 Republican and 1,681 Democratic delegates. The number needed to win the nomination: 1,191 Republican and 2,025 Democratic.

John Edwards' departure after South Carolina's primary simplified the math but little else on the Democratic side.

Since winning that state, Obama has collected a succession of marquee endorsements — several of them named Kennedy — and pulled into a statistical tie with Clinton in a national poll and in California, Tuesday's biggest prize with 370 Democratic delegates.

The two were campaigning for history as well — Clinton seeking to become the first female president, Obama the first black one.

Little separates them on most issues, including universal health coverage, ending U.S. military involvement in Iraq and raising taxes on the rich. And neither has accounted fully for all their proposed spending.

Instead, the campaign has turned on her experience and his vision of change, debated intensely but with more civility in the latest round than when former President Clinton, purposefully or not, brought racial sensitivities to the surface in stumping for his wife.

Party rules were stacked against a Tuesday knockout for Democrats. All their primaries and caucuses were awarding delegates proportionately, so coming in second counted. In the Republican field, nine contests offered all delegates to the winner.

Associated Press writers Jim Fitzgerald, Beth Fouhy, Glen Johnson, Jim Kuhnhenn, Nedra Pickler, Libby Quaid and Liz Sidoti contributed to this report.
    The Associated Press: It's Super Tuesday Coast to Coast
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

I voted too, at 6:30 AM to beat the crowds lol

polls are open from 6AM-9PM here

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

It seems that many people who are voting for Obama are doing so primarily because of his charisma. He is a great, passionate orator who seems more approachable than other politicians and probably has some great ideas. I don't think one has to have experience to be effective (though it helps). I've just noticed, though, that none of his supporters can name any accomplishments which leads me to believe that they are primarily voting for the way he makes them feel which is the same reason so many blue collar workers supported Reagan even though his agenda clearly did not place their interests at a high priority. He just made them feel proud to be American, proud to be part of something powerful, even if only by association.

Personally, I welcome new faces and a fresh perspective. I just wish that his supporters could articulate something more than 'he's for change' (isn't that what they all say?) or 'he speaks to me' (essentially the same thing as charisma).

I still think the "anybody but a Bush clone" factor is weighing in
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

i've voted. i wish it would just stay off tv until tonite.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Quote Originally Posted by crumpet View Post
    It seems that many people who are voting for Obama are doing so primarily because of his charisma. He is a great, passionate orator who seems more approachable than other politicians and probably has some great ideas. I don't think one has to have experience to be effective (though it helps). I've just noticed, though, that none of his supporters can name any accomplishments which leads me to believe that they are primarily voting for the way he makes them feel which is the same reason so many blue collar workers supported Reagan even though his agenda clearly did not place their interests at a high priority. He just made them feel proud to be American, proud to be part of something powerful, even if only by association.

Personally, I welcome new faces and a fresh perspective. I just wish that his supporters could articulate something more than 'he's for change' (isn't that what they all say?) or 'he speaks to me' (essentially the same thing as charisma).
    Screw that. He has a 100% voting record in the Illinois State Senate of voting for womens reproductive rights and voting in alignment with the National Organization of Women. He has not taken a dime from PAC's or lobbyists for his campaign. He made a speech in 2002 on the eve of the Iraq war, denouncing it and warning all who would listen about the foolishness of the war and he's stood firm in his opposition since then. He was one of the key supporters of McCain-Feingold to reform campaign financing. He passed the toughest ethics and campaign reform bill in Illinois state history in the IL State Senate. His healthcare plan is BY AND FAR more feasible than Clinton's and he has quantified how exactly he will pay for it, and he's focused on cutting the costs of healthcare which IMO is the BIGGER issue.

If you need more, please, let me know. I can carry on like this ad nauseum.

Edit: one more thing:
    I'd like to set a myth to rest: that Hilary Clinton has more experience than Barack Obama. Fact is, in terms of being an elected official, this is FALSE. Follow me in my explanation:
    - Sen. Obama served as an Illinois state Senator from 1997 to 2004: 7 yrs.
    - Obama served U.S. Senator from Nov. 2004 - present 3 yrs. 2 mos.
    Total years serving our country via elected office at State and/or National Level: 10 years 2 mos.

From 1997- 2004, what was Hilary doing?
    HER TIME AS FIRST LADY DOES NOT COUNT. Period.
    She was elected to the US Senate in 2000.
    Total years serving our country via elected office at State and/or National Level: 8 years

yeah, but how many people even know all that?

That's the point. The electorate, for the most part, are ignorant retards who decide who they vote for based on their gut.

Remember "Bush is the kinda guy you wanna sit down and have a beer with, i'll vote for him" ?

Same crap.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Please guys, do me a favor and vote for Hilary. Obama may be everyone's darling, but he can't run a country. Hilary can do that and much more. She has visions and a lot of experience with the international stage. She basically ran the country when Bill was president and you were all very satisfied with that. So her time as a first lady does count. She knows how to deal with Putin and Abbas, Musharraf and al the other scoundrels.

I beg you, vote for Hilary! Do the right thing.

(Don't make me be her Oprah)
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Well, now a few more people know. That was my aim.

I'm going later...I have to wait for the Giants parade to end so I can leave the house.....I can hear them screaming from here
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Calimoonchild View Post
    Screw that. He has a 100% voting record in the Illinois State Senate of voting for womens reproductive rights and voting in alignment with the National Organization of Women. He has not taken a dime from PAC's or lobbyists for his campaign. He made a speech in 2002 on the eve of the Iraq war, denouncing it and warning all who would listen about the foolishness of the war and he's stood firm in his opposition since then. He was one of the key supporters of McCain-Feingold to reform campaign financing. He passed the toughest ethics and campaign reform bill in Illinois state history in the IL State Senate. His healthcare plan is BY AND FAR more feasible than Clinton's and he has quantified how exactly he will pay for it, and he's focused on cutting the costs of healthcare which IMO is the BIGGER issue.
    Just like to add that Ron Paul made an anti war speech on October 8 2002 on the floor of the House as a U.S. Representative....

Obama's speech was given at an anti-war rally on Oct 26, 2002, as a state senator on his home turf in Chicago

Obama isn't the only man running who was against the war from the start

The Boston Globe wrote an article about Obama, showing that even though he refused contributions from lobbyists now he has taken plenty in the past:

In Obama's eight years in the Illinois Senate, from 1996 to 2004, almost two-thirds of the money he raised for his campaigns -- $296,000 of $461,000 -- came from PACs, corporate contributions, or unions, according to Illinois Board of Elections records. He tapped financial services firms, real estate developers, healthcare providers, oil companies, and many other corporate interests, the records show.
    Obama's US Senate campaign committee, starting with his successful run in 2004, has collected $128,000 from lobbyists and $1.3 million from PACs, according to the Center for Responsive Politics, a nonprofit organization that tracks money in politics. His $1.3 million from PACs represents 8 percent of what he has raised overall. Clinton's Senate committee, by comparison, has raised $3 million from PACs, 4 percent of her total amount raised, the group said.
    In addition, Obama's own federal PAC, Hopefund, took in $115,000 from 56 PACs in the 2005-2006 election cycle out of $4.4 million the PAC raised, according to CQ MoneyLine, which collects Federal Election Commission data. Obama then used those PAC contributions -- including thousands from defense contractors, law firms, and the securities and insurance industries -- to build support for his presidential run by making donations to Democratic Party organizations and candidates around the country.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I wish I could just walk in and vote dangit. Instead Colorado has a caucus, so I have to show up at my polling place at 7pm sharp, but I'm going and taking my boys with me. I strongly believe in setting an example for your kids by voting and letting them watch you do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    Please guys, do me a favor and vote for Hilary. Obama may be everyone's darling, but he can't run a country. Hilary can do that and much more. She has visions and a lot of experience with the international stage. She basically ran the country when Bill was president and you were all very satisfied with that. So her time as a first lady does count. She knows how to deal with Putin and Abbas, Musharraf and al the other scoundrels.

I beg you, vote for Hilary! Do the right thing.

(Don't make me be her Oprah)
    Ummm, sorry, no can do. I just can't bring myself to trust her, no matter what she says or how many times she cries. I want to like her, I've tried to like her, but i can't.
    Last edited by greysfang; February 5th, 2008 at 01:02 PM.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I can't bring myself to vote for Hilary either...Obama all the way.
    Mischief. Mayhem. Tattoos. Soap.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

That's the point. The electorate, for the most part, are ignorant retards who decide who they vote for based on their gut.

That's what I was saying Grimm. I appreciate how informed Cali is, but of all the Obama supporters I know (that's a lot, actually) none have articulated any concrete reasons like the ones she listed. It's like they are starstruck.

Polls opened at noon for some reason here. Will be dashing out around 3 to place my vote.

And Chilly---I'm voting Hillary baby--for you!

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information