Login to remove the ads!

Thread: Bush refuses to obey new laws, says he doesn't have to

Thumbs down Bush refuses to obey new laws, says he doesn't have to

Why don't we all just go home now. Bush isn't going to abide by any law that Congress passes, and Congress doesn't really seem to care that the executive has stolen all of their power. So seriously, why are we here? If you guys aren't going to defend yourselves, how can we count on you to defend the country?

From the Boston Globe:

President Bush this week declared that he has the power to bypass four laws, including a prohibition against using federal funds to establish permanent US military bases in Iraq, that Congress passed as part of a new defense bill.

Bush made the assertion in a signing statement that he issued late Monday after signing the National Defense Authorization Act for 2008. In the signing statement, Bush asserted that four sections of the bill unconstitutionally infringe on his powers, and so the executive branch is not bound to obey them.

No, in America we go to court to determine if laws unconstitutionally infringe on the president's powers. The president doesn't just get to decide by himself, especially when he's a blithering idiot. No one in America gets to decide which laws do and don't apply to them. That's a judge's job. But George Bush and the Republicans don't believe in judges, they don't believe in the rule of law. And the Democrats in Congress don't really seem to care. And they wonder why they keep getting screwed. Oh yeah, it's because we don't have 60 votes in the Senate. Uh huh. Does anyone really believe that once we get 60 Democratic Senators in the Senate suddenly the Dems will grow a spine? Please. Come back next year when the Republicans still filibuster, still offer horrendous legislation taking away our most basic and most sacred rights, and the Dems still join them. Then they'll tell us if we just had 70 Democratic Senators...

However, Nancy Pelosi had this to say which is most likely ALL she'll say on the matter:

"I reject the notion in his signing statement that he can pick and choose which provisions of this law to execute," said Speaker Nancy Pelosi, Democrat of California. "His job, under the Constitution, is to faithfully execute the law - every part of it - and I expect him to do just that."

Sure thing Nancy.

AMERICAblog: A great nation deserves the truth
    Sieg heil
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

This has been going on for quite some time!

What do you expect from the man that commits war crimes, disregarded the Geneva Convention & rewrote parts of the constitution? He's almost gone though... small glimmer of hope??
    & not a single fuck was given...

Quote Originally Posted by Sm0kah0ntas View Post
    What do you expect from the man that commits war crimes, disregarded the Geneva Convention & rewrote parts of the constitution? He's almost gone though... small glimmer of hope??
    I'm not shocked by anything Bush does anymore. But the damage he's already done is going to have far-reaching consequences long after he's gone.

Y'know, it's been a loooooong time since you guys broke out your fine tradition of presidencial assination.
    "In the face of the blinding sun, I wake only to find
    that Heaven is a stranger place than than one I've left behind." - SM

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    I'm not shocked by anything Bush does anymore. But the damage he's already done is going to have far-reaching consequences long after he's gone.
    I agree. Sadly, his supporters could care less & refer to those that do as cry babies or communists. I'm afraid of the future.
    & not a single fuck was given...

cant stand nancy pelosi. hard to trust a woman that doesnt blink
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Wall o'text should be outlawed. Paragraphs are everyone's friend.

Bush has been ignoring the hell out of the old laws for 7 plus years, no surprise he thumbs his nose at the new ones.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie Normos View Post
    Y'know, it's been a loooooong time since you guys broke out your fine tradition of presidencial assination.
    But that would leave us with Dick Cheney as president. And you don't knock off a moron and replace him with Satan. Especially one that likes to shoot people in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by Sm0kah0ntas View Post
    I agree. Sadly, his supporters could care less & refer to those that do as cry babies or communists. I'm afraid of the future.
    At this point, anybody that still backs Bush either needs to have their head examined or is just as out of touch as he is.

And once Bush is gone, his handiwork will still be there, and not just the war. He's made changes to the Constitution and he appointed TWO Supreme Court justices. So, yeah, the future isn't looking great, unless we can get a president who can try to clean up some of the messes Bush made.

Thread Information