Thread: Cali school to test students for drinking

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Default Cali school to test students for drinking

SANTA BARBARA, Calif. Oct 7, 2005 Students who attend homecoming dances on Saturday will be doing some heavy breathing into Breathalyzers.

At Santa Barbara High School, officials will screen every third or fourth student who arrives and anyone who appears drunk, said Principal Paul Turnbull. Dos Pueblos High School administrators will use the Breathalyzer only if they suspect a problem, said Principal Quentin Panek.

"There's a lot of heavy drinking going on," said Penny Jenkins, executive director of the local nonprofit Council on Alcoholism and Drug Abuse. "Something's got to be done."

Jenkins said she has seen preliminary results of a RAND Corp. study showing that a higher percentage of Santa Barbara students drink alcohol that the state average. The study is scheduled to be released in a couple of weeks.

Santa Barbara High students offered mixed reactions to the testing.

"I think it's a good idea if they check randomly, but I think they'll probably target some students" including those who show up in limousines, said sophomore Kelsea Peace.

Senior Alexander Argyropoulos said alcohol testing encourages students to use drugs that cannot be detected with the Breathalyzers.

"(Drinking) is kind of part of growing up, something all kids are going to do," Argyropoulos said. "It's better than possibly trying cocaine."

Possibly up next for local high schools: drug-sniffing dogs.

Panek said that dogs made surprise visits five times a year to Carmel High School when he worked there. The idea will be considered later this month by a committee made up of principals, students and a member of the American Civil Liberties Union.
    Ok, I suppose drinking is a bit of a problem but something tells me this is just stupid and fucked up. Quite frankly, it's easier to score a joint than a beer at that age, so give them points for hard work and ingenuity.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Whatever, this will just encourage kids to get high instead
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

They need to come up with some better methods of addressing teenage substance abuse. This just reeks.

Doesn't anyone remember tossing back a few in high school? I was never one to go crazy but here and there at parties, sure. I think the people behind this crap are pretending that kids live in la-la land.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

I remember alot of kids at my school were high during class, we did acid, speed, coke, and smoked chronic. We used to do it in the morning or during lunch, our campus was an open campus. Is it just California? I'm sure kids in other states do it too. But yeah doing that stuff was very distracting. They used to lock us in our classrooms like once a month and they brought dogs to sniff at our lockers. This was in Azusa, CA. There were alot of drugs and alcohol at our school. We had two campus police officers from the actual police department.

Who cares if they drink as long as they don't drive. Which I am sure is more of the concern, and a legit one at that. Let's face it HS kids are not experienced drivers and it would be scary if they were out drunk driving.

Why not hire some additional teachers and spend the obvious surplus of money the district has on really teaching these kids!!!
    We have kids that cannot read/write or add simple numbers together for christs sake! Where are your priorities? This has been going on for DECADES!

I with Rizzo: let kids be kids and stop turning ordinary kid behavior into a crime. And yes, lets put those resources into something worthwhile, like actually teaching them something.

--Sinclair Lewis

I was brought up Catholic, so I only had a tiny sip of wine every Sunday. I didn't drink in high school. At all. I was such a square. I also never tried drugs...I still haven't tried drugs, unless you count nitrous oxide.

santa barbara is well known for its party atmosphere. people didn't go to ucsb to study;they went to party.

Thread Information