Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bush:"US should've bombed Auschwitz"

Default Bush:"US should've bombed Auschwitz"

By ARON HELLER, Associated Press Writer Fri Jan 11, 11:41 AM ET

JERUSALEM - President Bush had tears in his eyes during an hour-long tour of Israel's Holocaust memorial Friday and told Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice that the U.S. should have bombed Auschwitz to halt the killing, the memorial's chairman said.
    ADVERTISEMENT

Bush emerged from a tour of the Yad Vashem memorial calling it a "sobering reminder" that evil must be resisted, and praising victims for not losing their faith.

Wearing a yarmulke, Bush placed a red-white-and-blue wreath on a stone slab that covers ashes of Holocaust victims taken from six extermination camps. He also lit a torch memorializing the victims.

Bush was visibly moved as he toured the site, said Yad Vashem's chairman, Avner Shalev.

"Twice, I saw tears well up in his eyes," Shalev said.

At one point, Bush viewed aerial photos of the Auschwitz camp taken during the war by U.S. forces and called Rice over to discuss why the American government had decided against bombing the site, Shalev said.

"We were talking about the often-discussed 'Could the United States have done more by bombing the train tracks?'" Rice told reporters later aboard Air Force One. "And so we were just talking about the various explanations that had been given about why that might not have been done."

The Allies had detailed reports about Auschwitz during the war from Polish partisans and escaped prisoners. But they chose not to bomb the camp, the rail lines leading to it, or any of the other Nazi death camps, preferring instead to focus all resources on the broader military effort, a decision that became the subject of intense controversy years later.

Between 1.1 million and 1.5 million people were killed at the camp.

"We should have bombed it," Bush said, according to Shalev.

In the memorial's visitors' book, the president wrote simply, "God bless Israel, George Bush."

The memorial was closed to the public and under heavy guard Friday, with armed soldiers standing on top of some of the site's monuments and a police helicopter and surveillance blimp hovering in the air overhead.

"I was most impressed that people in the face of horror and evil would not forsake their God. In the face of unspeakable crimes against humanity, brave souls — young and old — stood strong for what they believe," Bush said.

"I wish as many people as possible would come to this place. It is a sobering reminder that evil exists, and a call that when evil exists we must resist it," he said.

It was Bush's second visit to the Holocaust memorial, a regular stop on the visits of foreign dignitaries. His first was in 1998, as governor of Texas. The last U.S. president to visit was Bill Clinton in 1994.

Bush, making the most extensive Mideast trip of his presidency, was accompanied on his tour by a small party that included Rice and Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert.

At the compound, overlooking a forest on Jerusalem's outskirts, Bush visited a memorial to the 1.5 million Jewish children killed in the Holocaust, featuring six candles reflected 1.5 million times in a hall of mirrors. At the site's Hall of Remembrance, he heard a cantor sing a Jewish prayer for the dead.

Shalev presented Bush with illustrations of the Bible drawn by the Jewish artist Carol Deutsch, who perished in the Holocaust.

Deutsch created the works while in hiding from the Nazis in Belgium. He was informed upon, and died in 1944 in the Buchenwald camp. After the war, his daughter Ingrid discovered that the Nazis had confiscated their furniture and valuables but had left behind a single item: a meticulously crafted wooden box adorned with a Star of David and a seven-branched menorah, containing a collection of 99 of the artist's illustrations of biblical scenes.

The originals are on display at Yad Vashem. The memorial recently decided to produce a special series of 500 replicas, the first of which was to be presented to Bush.

Debbie Deutsch-Berman, a Yad Vashem employee whose grandfather was Deutsch's brother, said she was proud that Bush would be given her relative's artwork.

"These are not just his paintings, they are his legacy, and the fact that they survived shows that as much as our enemies tried to destroy the ideas that these paintings embody, they failed," she said.

Later Friday, Bush was to wrap up his three-day visit to Israel and the Palestinian territories with a visit to Christian holy sites in Galilee before departing for Kuwait, the next stop on his Mideast tour.
    Bush: US should have bombed Auschwitz - Yahoo! News

Thank God Dumbya was'nt born during WWII, if he had his way the number of innocent Jews, gyspies and the like would've been multiplyed. Not everything can be solved with explosions you retarded cowboy bastard.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Authority View Post
    Bush: US should have bombed Auschwitz - Yahoo! News

Thank God Dumbya was'nt born during WWII, if he had his way the number of innocent Jews, gyspies and the like would've been multiplyed. Not everything can be solved with explosions you retarded cowboy bastard.

That made me laugh, thank you!

He should bomb Britney's house.....or at least her boots.

Yeahhhhhhhh they also should have done something about the prisoners in the camps they found when trudging towards Berlin.. you know, the ones with the pink triangle sewn to them.. instead of LEAVING THEM THERE TO ROT AND DIE because hey, they're just faggots right?

They LEFT them in those camps and just walked right on by.. sure, they let the jews out of other camps but conveniently forgot about these ones..

where the fuck are *my* reparations?

(just kidding, i dont actually want any I think we've done well enough on our fucking own, taken back that symbol and fought tooth and nail for everything we have now and we didn't ask for fucking handouts or 'reparations')
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

wow, what a terribly intelligent man he is. im so glad he's our president.

*puts gun to head*

And he is the President of all Presidents,the Ruler of the World,Nations fates in his hands..seriously..
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

Reminds me of the Viet Nam era quote: “We had to destroy the village to save it”

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

So, he's not content on showing us the depth of his stupidity on current wars, he's got to tell us how he could have screwed up past wars too? We KNOW you're a retard, stop driving the point home!
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

Bush heard that Hillary got good remarks for crying, so he tried it.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

It is a sobering reminder that evil exists, and a call that when evil exists we must resist it," he said.
    In that case, I resist Bush.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Does anyone actually still think he is doing a good job? I'd especially like to know from those who voted for him in 2004.

Quote Originally Posted by Quazar View Post
    Does anyone actually still think he is doing a good job? I'd especially like to know from those who voted for him in 2004.
    Anybody that actually thinks Bush is doing a good job is just as drunk, high or retarded as he is.

Thumbs down

He's a total joke

I ask because I come into contact with people who still defend this @#*&! to this day!

Love to hear comments from non-US people too.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

disgusting.

my parents voted for him and i just don't get it! i.just.don't.get.it other than that, i dont know anyone who voted for him. i sure as fuck didn't!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information