Thread: AT&T cuts off wiretaps cuz Feds didn't pay their bills

Thumbs down AT&T cuts off wiretaps cuz Feds didn't pay their bills

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Telephone companies cut off FBI wiretaps used to eavesdrop on suspected criminals because of the bureau's repeated failures to pay phone bills on time, according to a Justice Department audit released Thursday.

The faulty bookkeeping is part of what the audit, by the Justice Department's inspector general, described as the FBI's lax oversight of money used in undercover investigations. Poor supervision of the program also allowed one agent to steal $25,000, the audit said.

More than half of 990 bills to pay for telecommunication surveillance in five unidentified FBI field offices were not paid on time, the report shows. In one office alone, unpaid costs for wiretaps from one phone company totaled $66,000.

And at least once, a wiretap used in a Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act investigation -- the highly secretive and sensitive cases that allow eavesdropping on suspected terrorists or spies -- ''was halted due to untimely payment.''

''We also found that late payments have resulted in telecommunications carriers actually disconnecting phone lines established to deliver surveillance results to the FBI, resulting in lost evidence,'' according to the audit by Inspector General Glenn A. Fine.

Reaction from AmericaBlog:

Did you get that? The same phone companies who simply HAD to give the feds all of our most private phone information, including calls you made and received, without the necessary court order, are now willing to stop that same surveillance because the feds didn't pay their bills on time.

So to the big phone companies, the rule of law doesn't matter. Promises to protect your privacy don't matter. But if you don't show them the money, suddenly all their "we had to illegally spy on you to defend national security" talk goes out the window. National security isn't so important to the big phone companies when money is involved. I'm so heartened that the Democrats are going to give these same greedy, un-American companies immunity in only a few weeks.

AMERICAblog: A great nation deserves the truth

Exactly what I was talking about in the Huckabee thread. National Security my fucking ass.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Anyone that speaks of serious subjects over a phone this day and time deserves to get caught.
    Hell, all you have to do is scan an area and you can hear calls.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Ha ha ha ha!

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

good! fuck AT&T and fuck the govt.!!!!

by the people for the people asswipes!

Thread Information