Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hillary Clinton chokes up in appearance

Default Hillary Clinton chokes up in appearance

Hillary Clinton chokes up in appearance -- Newsday.com

PORTSMOUTH, N.H. - The strain of the past few days finally caught up to Hillary Clinton on Monday.

At a meeting with undecided voters on the New Hampshire seacoast this morning, a red-eyed Clinton battled tears and had to pause to collect herself when a 64-year-old woman asked her how she gets through the day.

"As a woman I know it's hard to get out of the house and get ready," said Maryann Young, a freelance photographer. "My question is very personal: 'How do you do it?. How do you keep upbeat?'"

Related links

Clinton, voice breaking, tried to reply. "It's not easy -- it's not," she said. "And I couldn't do it if I didn't passionately believe..."

At this point she stopped, too choked up to continue, as the audience applauded.

"I see what's happening and we have to reverse that," Clinton said, apparently referring to her loss in Iowa and uphill fight here. "Some people think elections are about people -- they're about our country... it's about all of us... It's been difficult and we do it, each one of us because we care about our country."

Again her voiced cracked and she had to stop.

Clinton faces the prospect Tuesday of a second stinging defeat at the hands of Barack Obama, the Illinois senator who scored a surprise victory in Iowa on Thursday.

But earlier, Clinton also vowed, "We're going on," no matter the outcome of Tuesday's primary vote.

With the hours till the polls open growing short, Obama – holding a double-digit lead over Clinton in four new surveys - told supporters, "You're the wave, and I'm riding it."

And he stepped up his own attacks against Clinton, deriding her criticism that Obama offered "false hopes" to the nation with soaring words but little substance.

"False hope, false hope, there's no such thing," Obama told an overflow crowd in Lebanon. "We don't need leaders to tell us what we can't do, we need those who can inspire us to do, to say yes we can, to say we believe. That's what America is looking for right now. That's our message of change."

The campaign is taking its toll on Obama, too, after a compressed calendar hurtled the candidates from Iowa to New Hampshire with barely five days in between. He saw a doctor Sunday about losing his voice, and the doctor's advice was plain: "Shut up," Obama told an audience in Claremont.

That seemed unlikely for any of the candidates, who are crisscrossing the state at a furious pace, mindful that the judgment rendered here tomorrow could propel them toward the White House - or gravely damage their hopes of getting there.

That's particularly true on the Republican side, where Mitt Romney's campaign knows that a second devastating defeat here after Iowa could make it prohibitively difficult for him to chart a path to the nomination.

Romney stepped up his attacks on Sen. John McCain, who has pulled in front of Romney in the new polls, despite Romney's massive investment of time and TV ads in this neighboring state to Massachusetts, where he was governor. He has criticized McCain as fighting tax cuts and being too soft on illegal immigration.

Romney scheduled six events, an end-of-the-day rally and a two-minute television ad, while McCain pushed into what he called "The Mac Is Back" bus tour - seeking to muster the spirit of his surprise 2000 win here.

"Tomorrow is the day when we will tell the world that New Hampshire again has chosen the next president of the United States," McCain told a couple of hundred sign-toting supporters.

McCain's tone was a bit wistful in Nashua, where he was joined by his wife, Cindy, and two of their daughters. "There's a lot of nostalgia associated with this morning. We've had a great time," he said.

Iowa winner Mike Huckabee also campaigned here, hoping for a third place showing he can take to South Carolina, and former mayor Rudy Giuliani scheduled three town halls meetings for the day hoping to deny Huckabee that spot. Giuliani has slipped into fourth place in the polls here.

Reid Epstein in Lincoln, N.H., and Craig Gordon in Manchester, N.H., contributed.

Well, I have to say that any doubts whether a woman should be President just got confirmed. I didn't have much respect for her before, but now, I don't have any. Pulling the 'tears' card? Give me a break. I loathe women who use that trick in corporate life, and now Hillary, queen of all women, does it.

I hope Obama cleans her clock.

^^Absolutely, just shot her credibility.

Here's why she lost. Logically, she may be the most qualified, more knowledgable, most able to get things done. But Obama appealed to the heart. Obama speaks and makes your heart believe. Hillary comes off as a cold bitch that will say what she needs to get the job. People aren't buying it. Obama has a raw sincerity that no one else has. High Integrity, like he truly wants to make a difference and not "leave a legacy." That's why Hillary's losing.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Quote Originally Posted by tkdgirl View Post
    Well, I have to say that any doubts whether a woman should be President just got confirmed. I didn't have much respect for her before, but now, I don't have any. Pulling the 'tears' card? Give me a break. I loathe women who use that trick in corporate life, and now Hillary, queen of all women, does it.

I hope Obama cleans her clock.
    Why can't she cry.. Why can't a woman cry? When she cries she's weak, phony and can't run the Country...When she is standoffish and less personable she is a cunt...She can't win for losing. I don't think this was a trick, I think that everything finally got to her(losing, not getting to be QBIC etc..) I do think she cracked under Pressure! And I really do believe that her feelings are hurt that people feel Obama is more likable than she is!!

Go Obama!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

I guess I'm buying it, because I'm still on board with Hillary.

This morning, I was listening to a call in-show on the radio, and a woman called in to say that she believes that if there was not a man in this world capable of being president of the US, God would lift up a woman and make her capable, but we "haven't scraped the bottom of the barrel yet." That's so offensive to me as a woman, especially coming from another woman. I can't believe people still think that way or that advertisers support that kind of garbage. Had I thought I had a shot at making it on the air, (as this show infamously refuses to give equal time to opposing views) I'd have called in to say "if you replaced 'black person' everywhere 'woman' appears in that sentence, how offensive would that be?"

Hillary showing emotion doesn't negate her qualifications, in my opinion.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    I guess I'm buying it, because I'm still on board with Hillary.

This morning, I was listening to a call in-show on the radio, and a woman called in to say that she believes that if there was not a man in this world capable of being president of the US, God would lift up a woman and make her capable, but we "haven't scraped the bottom of the barrel yet." That's so offensive to me as a woman, especially coming from another woman. I can't believe people still think that way or that advertisers support that kind of garbage. Had I thought I had a shot at making it on the air, (as this show infamously refuses to give equal time to opposing views) I'd have called in to say "if you replaced 'black person' everywhere 'woman' appears in that sentence, how offensive would that be?"

Hillary showing emotion doesn't negate her qualifications, in my opinion.
    I agree with you
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

I don't think her showing emotions negates her qualifications, either. But its never a good idea to snap publicly under strain during a campaign, for a male or female. A campaign is only a starting point for a long stressful ride - what if she snaps as President in a highly precarious situation? Thats just my take on it, but then again I'm not a Hillary supporter.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

I don't care if she cries or not. I don't trust her and I dont' see why I should vote her just because we both have vaginas.

By this point, I'll take anyone.

No, seriously though.. I think Hilary and Obama are two personalities that America might not be ready to deal with. Hilary, like it or not, will always be associated with her husband, his infidelities, and the fact that she's a woman. Obama, like it or not, will always be associated with Oprah Winfrey, being the first real black frontrunner in a Democratic presidential campaign, and having a name that rymes with 'Osama'. I'd like to think most Americans would educate themselves about the candidates and their respective platforms, but a lot of people are just going to vote for Hilary because she's a woman or, dually, WONT vote her for BECAUSE she's a woman. Same goes for Obama- he's going to get the vote because he's black or he'll lose a vote because he's black. It's my opinion that articles like these don't help that situation.. by focusing more on Hilary's emotions rather than her political platform, readers will see this and immediately make a decision based solely on the fact that she's 'weak' or she's a 'cunt'...

Just my opinion, though.

Gold Member

I think the tears were real too. She knows what's coming and she's upset.
    If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning

Quote Originally Posted by stylejunkiex View Post
    By this point, I'll take anyone.

No, seriously though.. I think Hilary and Obama are two personalities that America might not be ready to deal with. Hilary, like it or not, will always be associated with her husband, his infidelities, and the fact that she's a woman.
    Her husbands infidelities have nothing to do with whether she can run this country or not, in fact his own infidelities had nothing to do with how he ran this country!! Her being a woman doesn't make her any less qualified to be Commander and Chief than anyone running!

Obama, like it or not, will always be associated with Oprah Winfrey, being the first real black frontrunner in a Democratic presidential campaign, and having a name that rymes with 'Osama'.
    Are you serious, fine the Oprah thing is scary, but that's not any different than any other celebrity stomping for a Presidential Candidate ie...Huckabee and Norris. Also, his race makes this historical, but it doesn't make his campaign. The white folks in Iowa damn sure didn't care. And as far as his name, you have to know that is juvenile.

I'd like to think most Americans would educate themselves about the candidates and their respective platforms, but a lot of people are just going to vote for Hilary because she's a woman or, dually, WONT vote her for BECAUSE she's a woman. Same goes for Obama- he's going to get the vote because he's black or he'll lose a vote because he's black. It's my opinion that articles like these don't help that situation.. by focusing more on Hilary's emotions rather than her political platform, readers will see this and immediately make a decision based solely on the fact that she's 'weak' or she's a 'cunt'...

Just my opinion, though.
    Understanding that these are just your opinions, and no one should be called out on their opinions..but I know for a fact that majority of this Country doesn't see things as you do. And if they did they aren't very smart at all. Who would vote for someone solely based on their gender or color of their skin. I think Americans are smarter than that, Ithink Hilary supporters are her supporters because they believe in her vision for America, her ideals, and her intelligence! Obama supporters see someone who can unite, see his vision, his platform, his ability to speak to their individual values, needs, and wants... Race and Gender doesn't matter!!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

Quote Originally Posted by SSDiva View Post
    Why can't she cry.. Why can't a woman cry? When she cries she's weak, phony and can't run the Country...When she is standoffish and less personable she is a cunt...She can't win for losing. I don't think this was a trick, I think that everything finally got to her(losing, not getting to be QBIC etc..) I do think she cracked under Pressure! And I really do believe that her feelings are hurt that people feel Obama is more likable than she is!!

Go Obama!
    I'm not saying she can't cry. We all do, even the fellas. But if she can't hold her composure during a simple campaign stop, what and the heck is she going to be like as President?

As for hurt feelings, I find it ironic that would even bother her. Both she and her husband have no problem slinging mud, but can't handle it when it back fires. Just today, Billy said Obama is the 'biggest fairy tale he's ever seen'.

If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. This primary season pales in comparison to what she'd get as President.

I'm not saying she can't cry. We all do, even the fellas. But if she can't hold her composure during a simple campaign stop, what and the heck is she going to be like as President?
    No, I think it was a long time coming. I think that it was sheer exhaustion, and the only way to make herself look human. I am a Hilary supporter by way of Bill...but have been on the fence between her and Obama....can you tell which way I am leaning.

As for hurt feelings, I find it ironic that would even bother her. Both she and her husband have no problem slinging mud, but can't handle it when it back fires.

Just today, Billy said Obama is the 'biggest fairy tale he's ever seen'.
    I think in some obscure Clinton way that was a compliment. At best now somebody is playing it up for the VP position... I think the Clintons are getting ready to wave the white house flag after Super Tuesday..after Edwards(if he'd grown up rich he'd be a republican) is obliterated!!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I'm with Laurent. I'm still with Hillary too. I'm actually very suprised by the Iowa outcome, and the presumed outcome in New Hampshire. I like her. I'm from New York and she is a good Senator. I think she would make a good President, I truly do.
    I will admit that I do not know a great deal about Obama. If he gets the Nomination, I will definitely get to know him, but until then, I am on the Hillary Train.
    I have no issue w/her tearing up at all. I think it shows shes human...and we could use a little of that I think.

I saw that teary breakdown... it really seemed completely calculated and fake. And I was pretty ambivalent about Hillary before. Now I'm pretty disgusted that she pulled the crying card.

When has she ever cried publicly in her entire political career? It's like trying to be something she's not just to pull votes. That pretty much won me over to the other side.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information