Thread: CNN/YouTube Republican debate

Default CNN/YouTube Republican debate

GOP Candidates Support “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell”
    The Republican candidates faced off Wednesday evening during the CNN/YouTube debate in Florida, but they uniformly supported "don't ask, don' tell," the military’s current policy of not allowing gays and lesbians to serve openly.
    “I want to know why you think that American men and women in uniform are not professional enough to serve with gays and lesbians,” asked retired brigadier general Keith Kerr, who served 43 years in the military. Kerr is part of Hillary Clinton’s LGBT steering committee, which was not disclosed during the debate.
    Rep. Duncan Hunter thanked Kerr for his service then added, ''I believe in what [Gen.] Colin Powell said when he said that having openly homosexual people serving in the ranks would be bad for unit cohesion. The reason for that, even though people point to the Israelis and point to the Brits and point to other people as having homosexuals serve, is that most Americans, most kids who leave that breakfast table and go out and serve in the military and make that corporate decision with their family, most of them are conservatives. They have conservative values, and they have Judeo-Christian values. To force those people to work in a small tight unit with somebody who is openly homosexual goes against what they believe to be their principles, and it is their principles, is I think a disservice to them.”
    Former Arkansas governor Mike Huckabee answered, “The Uniform Code of Military Justice is probably the best rule, and it has to do with conduct. People have a right to have whatever feelings, whatever attitudes they wish, but when their conduct could put at risk the morale, or put at risk even the cohesion that Duncan Hunter spoke of, I think that's what is at issue.”
    CNN moderator Anderson Cooper then directed the question to former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney, who had originally supported the policy as a path to full integration of the U.S. military. “You said in 1994 that you looked forward to the day when gays and lesbians could serve, and I quote, ‘openly and honestly in our nation's military.’ Do you stand by that?” asked Cooper.

“This isn't that time. This is not that time. We're in the middle of a war,” said Romney. He then defended his change in stance. “I didn't think it would work. I didn't think ‘don't ask/don't tell’ would work,” Romney said. “And you know what? It's been there now for, what, 15 years? It seems to have worked.”
    Cooper also asked Sen. John McCain to answer, given his well-known biography of having served in the military and being a POW during the Vietnam War.
    “General, I thank you for your service to our nation. I respect it,” said McCain. “All the time, I talk to our military leaders, beginning with our joint chiefs of staff and the leaders in the field, such as General Petraeus and General Odierno and others… Almost unanimously, they tell me that this present policy is working, that we have the best military in history, that we have the bravest, most professional, best prepared, and that this policy ought to be continued because it's working."

Mike Huckabee, who is also a former preacher, was later asked if he would accept support from the Log Cabin Republicans.
    “You know, in my position in this entire election, I need the support of anybody and everybody I can get,” Huckabee said to applause. Huckabee, still a long-shot candidate, is now polling number 2 behind Mitt Romney in Iowa but has an extreme funding disadvantage.

Huckabee continued, “I disagree with them, strongly disagree with them on the idea of same-sex marriage, but in a democracy we can have disagreements over some policies and still agree on the greater things that make us Republicans. So would I accept their support? Of course. Would I change my position on same-sex marriage? No, I wouldn't.” (The Advocate)

<a href="http://ads.pno.net/click.ng/adsize=160x600&position=primary&site=advocate&sect ion=news&affiliate=&attribute=&fixedplacement=&t1= us&t5=1&t6=0&t7=en&tile=694515407?ord=103705823?" >
    document.write('');
    <a href="http://ads.pno.net/click.ng/adsize=160x120&position=secondary&site=advocate&se ction=news&affiliate=&attribute=&fixedplacement=&t 1=us&t5=1&t6=0&t7=en&tile=694515407?ord=926168322? ">
    GOP Candidates Support &#x201c;Don&#x2019;t Ask, Don&#x2019;t Tell&#x201d; &#160;|&#160;News | Advocate.com

Also, the Republicans had chances to answer questions about black on black crime and poverty, Romney said "They need fathers in the home." Huckabee said "He provided funding for Black illnesses such as HIV" WTF!!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Quote Originally Posted by SSDiva View Post
    ...Huckabee said "He provided funding for Black illnesses such as HIV" WTF!!
    omg! how anyone can think to say something like that is soooo beyond my realm of comprehension.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

Oh, yeah. I cringed as it unfolded. Forbid anyone call them out on they're BS.

This was by far the most bizarre debate I'd ever seen. There were talking snowmen, talking dogs, a guy shoving a bible in the camera, a guy shooting off rounds before asking a question, a cartoon Dick Cheney (who was also holding a gun), some guy singing a song about the candidates... that's just the tip of the iceberg. You'd think it was part of an SNL sketch, not part of the process of electing the most powerful person in the world. My jaw was dropping over and over again, and that was even before the candidates started "answering" questions.

I didn't see the Democrats' debate with the youtube stuff. Is this where political news coverage is headed? What an embarassment.

Quote Originally Posted by lurkur View Post
    This was by far the most bizarre debate I'd ever seen. There were talking snowmen, talking dogs, a guy shoving a bible in the camera, a guy shooting off rounds before asking a question, a cartoon Dick Cheney (who was also holding a gun), some guy singing a song about the candidates... that's just the tip of the iceberg. You'd think it was part of an SNL sketch, not part of the process of electing the most powerful person in the world. My jaw was dropping over and over again, and that was even before the candidates started "answering" questions.
    Gee, I guess I really missed something by not watching!

I didn't watch the whole thing (and didn't read all of the article above either) but wasn't there some talk today about how a Demmy planted someone in the audience to ask questions??

No, it was a former Clinton aid from back in the day on the LGBT steering team who is also a general in the military, asking about 'dont ask, dont tell'.

He's not on the payroll or part of the campaign team.

I think it's fucking hilarious that any kind of "debate" would restrict questions to people with absolutely no political leanings, or to the identical political leaning of the candidate.

That's not a fucking debate, that's an echo chamber.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

Is this where political news coverage is headed? What an embarassment. Yep. Ever since the 'news' went all pop culture and asssited in the dumbing down of America, this is what you get. Remember when the National Enquirer used to want to be like the real news? Well, nowadays the news wants to be like the National Enquirer. what progress. Everytime I see Paris or Britney pop up on a news program (other than ET or Extra) I cringe.

I'm afraid it won't be long until it turns into yet another vote-off reality show. After each round of debates, a contestant will be voted off. Actually, if it was structured like that, maybe we could organize on teh internetz and we nerds could set up some dial-a-candidate software program and get Dennis Kucinich elected!! hehe

Quote Originally Posted by lurkur View Post
    I'm afraid it won't be long until it turns into yet another vote-off reality show. After each round of debates, a contestant will be voted off. Actually, if it was structured like that, maybe we could organize on teh internetz and we nerds could set up some dial-a-candidate software program and get Dennis Kucinich elected!! hehe
    The internet is by far more liberal than the sheep known as "likely voters". You think the corporate media would allow us real people to vote for president. Pshhhh if it was that easy these criminals (ie Republicans) would be in Gitmo already.

I watched a bit of the debate myself and saw the part with the bible guy. Ugh it just reinforces my belief that we should send all Republicans to an island in the middle of nowhere and then hope a volcano erupts to burn them to death.

Thread Information