Thread: Highlights 'cough' from Bush's new Iraq strategy.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Default Highlights 'cough' from Bush's new Iraq strategy.

To read the full document, as well as a White House fact sheet outlining steps to train Iraq's security forces, go to www.boston.com/news/globe.

Short term: an Iraq that is making steady progress in fighting terrorists, achieving political milestones, building democratic institutions, laying a foundation for a sound economy, and training and equipping security forces.

Medium term: an Iraq that is taking the lead in defeating terrorists and providing its own security, has a constitutional government, and is making economic gains.

Long term: an Iraq that has defeated the terrorists, neutralized the insurgency, and developed into a peaceful, united, stable, and secure nation that is part of the international community.

Progress on the security front

In 2004, major parts of Iraq and important urban centers were ''no-go" areas for Iraqi and coalition forces. Fallujah, Najaf, and Samara were under enemy control. Today, these cities are under Iraqi government control.

In March, Iraqi and coalition forces received more than 400 intelligence tips from Iraqi citizens; in August, they had 3,300; in September, more than 4,700.

The ranks of Iraqi security forces are swelling. More than 212,000 security forces have been trained and equipped, compared with 96,000 in September 2004. There are more than 120 Iraqi Army and police battalions in the fight -- up from five in August 2004. Of these battalions, more than 80 are fighting alongside coalition forces and more than 40 others are taking the lead in the fight.

Progress on the political front

In January, 8.5 million Iraqis voted for Iraq's first freely elected national government and provincial governments.

In April, elected leaders of Iraq's national legislature formed a diverse Cabinet that represented all groups, despite election results that favored the Shi'ite and Kurdish communities.

In the summer and fall, Iraq's elected national legislature, and the Sunni leaders invited to join the process, drafted a constitution.

Progress on the economic front

Oil production increased from an average of 1.58 million barrels a day in 2003 to an average of 2.25 million barrels a day in 2004. Iraq currently is producing on average 2.1 million barrels a day.

Iraq's gross domestic product rose from $13.6 billion in 2003 to $25.5 billion in 2004, led primarily by the recovery of the oil sector.

Since April 2003, Iraq has registered more than 30,000 new businesses.

SOURCE: Associated Press
    I wonder how much it costs to make up all those posters, signs and other advertising material to promote the new Bush slogan 'Plan for Victory'. He really is a twat.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Default Re: Highlights 'cough' from Bush's new Iraq strategy.

He's done so much lying, that even if any of this WAS true, I wouldn't believe him.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

I think he and his handlers have stock in 'Bad slogans 'r' us'
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

well it's also how much of this info has been spun so its seen in the best possible light.

For all we know, those 120 battalions of Iraqi's turn tail and run when the first shot is fired like half their new army did 2 years ago.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Thread Information