Thread: House passes ban on job bias against gays; Veto from Asshole Bush expected

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

Exclamation House passes ban on job bias against gays; Veto from Asshole Bush expected

House passes ban on job bias against gays

Story Highlights
    -Bill would make it illegal to hire, fire based on sexual orientation
    -Bill does not include protection for transgender workers
    -Veto from President Bush is expected if the proposal passes in the Senate
    -Job discrimination based on race, gender, religion banned under federal law

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The House on Wednesday approved the first federal ban on job discrimination against gays, lesbians and bisexuals.

Passage of the Employment Non-Discrimination Act came despite protests from some gay rights supporters that the bill does not protect transgender workers. That term covers transsexuals, cross-dressers and others whose outward appearance does not match their gender at birth.

The measure would make it illegal for employers to make decisions about hiring, firing, promoting or paying an employee based on sexual orientation. It would exempt churches and the military.

After the 235-184 vote, supporters are expecting a tough fight in the narrowly divided Senate, where Massachusetts Democrat Edward Kennedy plans to introduce a similar version.

A veto from President Bush is expected if the proposal does pass the Senate. The White House has cited constitutional concerns and said the proposal could trample religious rights.

Backers of the House bill proclaimed it a major civil rights advance for gays. "Bigotry and homophobia are sentiments that should never be allowed to permeate the American workplace," said House Majority Whip James Clyburn, D-South Carolina.

The decision by Democratic leaders to exclude protections based on gender identity created sharp divisions in the party and among gay rights activists.

Republicans, meanwhile, said the bill could undermine the rights of people who oppose homosexuality for religious reasons and lead to an onslaught of dubious discrimination lawsuits. give me a fucking break!

"This is, frankly, a trial lawyer's dream," said Rep. John Kline, R-Minnesota. shut the fuck up you fucking homophobic asshole!

Protections for transgender workers were in the original bill. But Democratic leaders found they would lose support from moderate and conservative Democrats by including transgender employees in the final bill.

"That's a bridge too far," said Rep. Rick Boucher, D-Virginia. "It's better to take it one step at a time."

Rep. Jerrold Nadler, however, said excluding transgender workers was shortsighted.

"As we have seen in many states, the failure to include the transgender community in civil rights legislation from the beginning makes it more difficult to extend protections later," said Nadler, D-New York.

Rep. Barney Frank, one of two openly gay members of Congress and an important supporter of the bill, urged colleagues not to let the dispute over transgender workers doom an important gain in civil rights.

Frank, D-Massachusetts, said he hoped the bill would send a message to "millions of Americans who are gay and lesbian that they are not bad people, that it is not legitimate to fire them simply because of who they are."

He also pledged to continue to fight for a bill to protect transgender workers.

Job discrimination based on factors such as race, gender and religion is banned under federal law. Nineteen states and the District of Columbia have laws against sexual-orientation discrimination.

Only nine states specifically protect transgender people from discrimination: New Jersey, Minnesota, Rhode Island, New Mexico, California, Illinois, Maine, Hawaii, Washington. The District of Columbia has a similar law.

By January, laws also will be in effect in Iowa, Vermont, Colorado and Oregon.

we should boycott everyother state!

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

All AboutEmployment Discrimination

Find this article at:
    House passes ban on job bias against gays - CNN.com
    this may sounds like good news but i heard on the news that Bush (for no reason other than the fact that he's a fucking caveman) is going to Veto this! Why? you may ask...B/C OF THE RELIGIOUS FUCKING RIGHT! what they have to do w/ basic common decency and politics is beyond me! I ALMOST HAD A FUCKING STROKE WHEN I HEARD THIS; ITS SO FUCKING APPALLING ITS BEYOND ME HOW THIS PERSON CAN VETO THIS BILL!

What's funny is that the religious right are protected by hate crime laws.. while gays arent. Amazing, no?

Fuck you, religious idiots. I hope you all get cancer and die.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Surprise, surprise! Bush and his clan are usually so tolerant. I thought this had a chance at passing.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

They should keep sending it back, just like everything else he vetoes.

Either that, or attach it to something he NEEDS to pass.. like the billions for his precious war.

let him veto THAT
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

this just boggles my mind though really; i swear to gawd i was putting away shit in my room and heard it on the news and i was like in another place and time and went all dizzy w/ anger and not understanding how anyone ANYONE could veto this common sense shit! and then when i heard his reasoning i swear i almost had a stroke and this president is gonna kill me by the time his presidency's over and done with.

Silver Member

"The White House has cited constitutional concerns and said the proposal could trample religious rights."

BULLSHIT BULLSHIT BULLSHIT BULLSHIT!!!!

Alice, I'm right there with you. This sonofabitch is gonna kill me, too. Fuck! His being president is against my religious belief. He's trampling on my religious rights! Someone call Congress.

^^ Please don't die!!! You guys have to go vote during the next election so you guys (and the rest of the world) aren't stuck with another dumbass like him for another 4 years. Just that thought alone should keep you guys alive
    "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers."

Silver Member

What I find pathetic is that a law like this is needed. What does sexual orientation have to do with your job!?!? Unless you're a pedophile working in child care sexual orientation should be no one's business.

Elite Member DoveFeatheredRaven's Avatar

I wish Dexter was real.

This fucker would totally qualify.

yeah no kidding!

Thread Information