Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Supreme Court to hear abortion rights case.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Default Supreme Court to hear abortion rights case.

The Associated Press
    WASHINGTON - The Supreme Court will consider its first abortion rights case under the leadership of Chief Justice John Roberts, with an unpredictable outcome because of the court's changing makeup.

The stakes are significant in the dispute over a New Hampshire law requiring minors to tell a parent before ending a pregnancy, although the case does not challenge the 1973 Roe v. Wade ruling that said abortion is a fundamental constitutional right.

The outcome is likely to signal where the high court is headed on an issue that has been emotional and divisive among the justices and around the country.

Abortion was a prominent subject in Roberts' confirmation hearings and has emerged as a major issue in President Bush's nomination of appeals court Judge Samuel Alito to replace retiring Justice Sandra Day O'Connor. O'Connor has been the swing vote in support of abortion rights.

If Alito is confirmed by the Senate early next year, his vote could be needed to break a tie in the New Hampshire case being argued before justices. Abortion cases generally draw large crowds at the Supreme Court, but buzz around Wednesday's argument was particularly frenzied because the court until this fall had no turnover for 11 years.

New Hampshire Attorney General Kelly Ayotte told justices in a filing that the law "provides pregnant minors with the benefit of parental guidance and assistance in exercising what is undoubtedly a difficult choice."

O'Connor, a supporter of Roe v. Wade and the first woman named to the court, is retiring after 24 years and will likely leave the court before the case is decided. A Senate vote is planned for January on Alito, who is expected to be more receptive to abortion restrictions.

It is unknown how Roberts or Alito would vote on a rollback of Roe v. Wade.

Meanwhile, the court could use this case to make it extremely difficult for abortion rights groups to challenge restrictions, without dealing with the sticky issue of overturning Roe. At issue is the legal standard for courts in handling lawsuits over abortion laws.

The New Hampshire case is being closely watched by the dozens of states that require minors to tell a parent or get permission before having an abortion.

Justices were told that 24 states mandate a parent's approval and 19 states, including New Hampshire, demand parental notice.

The court is considering whether the 2003 New Hampshire law puts an "undue burden" on a woman in choosing to end a pregnancy. O'Connor is an architect of the undue burden standard, and was the deciding vote in the last abortion case five years ago, when justices ruled that a Nebraska law banning a type of late-term abortion was too burdensome.

That law, like the one at issue Wednesday, did not have an exception to protect the mother's health. New Hampshire argues that exceptions are permitted when the mother's health is at risk, and that should be enough.

The law requires a parent or guardian be notified when an abortion is planned for someone under 18, followed by a 48-hour waiting period. A judge can waive the requirement.

"In an emergency, a woman needs to go to the hospital not a courthouse," justices were told in a filing by Jennifer Dalven, attorney for Planned Parenthood of Northern New England which challenged the law.

The Supreme Court agreed to allow news organizations to air audio recording of the court's argument immediately after its conclusion, giving the public its first chance to hear the new chief justice on the bench. Cameras are not allowed in the court.

Roberts, 50, replaced Chief Justice William H. Rehnquist, who died in September after a yearlong fight with cancer.

Justices agreed to hear the New Hampshire case before Rehnquist's death and before O'Connor surprised colleagues with news that she was stepping down.

The case is Ayotte v. Planned Parenthood, 04-1144.

On the Net:

Supreme Court: http://www.supremecourtus.gov/

Copyright 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

Default Re: Supreme Court to hear abortion rights case.

oh man i'm so pissed and anxious about this case!
    When are men going to stop trying to control our bodies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

^^^so you think that minors should be able to get abortions without parental notification?

yes YES I do, its not their parents business, some kids don't even have parents who are active in their lives or would abuse the shit out of them if they were confronted w/ a pregnant teen, and keep degrading them after the abortion was given, and most horrific of all; some parents are the fathers of these babies!

U.S. out of my Uterus!

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by dexter7 View Post
    ^^^so you think that minors should be able to get abortions without parental notification?
    I don't........Minors need parental permission to get a tattoo for fuck sake, so I believe they should need permission to have a medical procedure done.What if the minor is going to have an abortion because she thinks that her parents would be mad if they found out she was having a baby and then she has it done and finds out that her parents would have supported her and then she has to live with her decision.

yeah well she still has the choice whether to decide to tell them doesn't she, but if that choice is taken away; drastic measures might be taken on her part and thats where real trouble begins and she could end up dying b/c of a back-alley abortion gone wrong b/c she didn't have that damn choice!
    are you really that backwards in your thinking?
    I think her parents would rather have their daughter alive and safe and she is probably going to be a lot more careful the next time around or at least have the opportunity to talk with professionals in private in case their is abuse going on and the pregnancy was forced on her due to abuse or rape; which is something very hard to talk to your parents about.

Gold Member

yeah well she still has the choice whether to decide to tell them doesn't she, but if that choice is taken away; drastic measures might be taken on her part and thats where real trouble begins and she could end up dying b/c of a back-alley abortion gone wrong b/c she didn't have that damn choice!
    Yes, I understand what you are saying but I believe that she should be able to talk to her parents about it and the parents should be able to know what's going on in their childs life,especially when it is something as important as this.And I know that it is very difficult to talk to ur parents about abuse and rape ,this is coming from a personal experience but as difficult as it seems parents are there to support not judge in most cases.

however there are cases where you can't talk to your parents and yes she should be able to, but many times they can't for various unfair reasons, its just nice to have a choice in the matter of what happens to your body and if they have that and a good relationship w/ their parents then thats nice (they can discuss their options together), but again not everyone has that and that's why there are choices. I notice the boy or whoever impregnated the girl doesn't have to do shit by this proposed law and thats whack!

Modified---(I'm a sloppy reader and realized that you guys had already covered what I just said...man I need more coffee). Seems to me that the parental rights have to outweigh the rights of the child in this case. Ultimately, the parents are responsible for the child..how can they not know?

Gold Member

notice the boy or whoever impregnated the girl doesn't have to do shit by this proposed law and thats whack!
    It must be nice to be a guy,they usually don't have to make the tough decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by *trina* View Post
    It must be nice to be a guy,they usually don't have to make the tough decisions.
    There were laws that were shot down in other states requiring notification of the father (not permission, just notification). Seems like men are a bit stuck here, they are forced to be responsible and pay for the child if the woman elects to have it, but if she wants to kill it they don't even get to know (much less get a say).

well they should learn to keep their dicks in their pants then &/or wrapped in plastic!
    and yeah it must be nice to feel the pain that women feel physically and emotionally.

I honestly think- as a man- that women should have the choice of doing what they think is best for their body. If they want to have a safe, and legal abortion then fine let them. This world is too overpopulated anyway and if hte girl was raped or whaever then she won't have to deal with a baby she does'nt want.

Sure I may sound cynical and heartless about it but hey if a minor wants an abortion then by all means just let her.

Yea Mr. Authority!

I pray, pray, pray, pray that this doesn't turn out the way I think it will....

alice, how old are you? like 20 or something?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information