Thread: No this isn't deja vu: Bush wants $46 Billion more for wars!!!!

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

Angry No this isn't deja vu: Bush wants $46 Billion more for wars!!!!

yeah i know socal is on fire but..... fuck Bush!
    Bush Wants $46 Billion More for Wars
    Bush To Ask For $46 Billion More For Iraq, Afghanistan Wars

WASHINGTON, Oct. 22, 2007 - President Bush will ask Congress for another $46 billion to fund the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and finance other national security needs, The Associated Press has learned.

Related Links
    Receive Alerts in Your E-mail
    Get Alerts on Your Phone
    The figure, which Bush was expected to announce later Monday at the White House, brings to $196.4 billion the total requested by the administration for operations in Iraq, Afghanistan and elsewhere for the budget year that started Oct. 1. It includes $189.3 billion for the Defense Department, $6.9 billion for the State Department and $200 million for other agencies.

The figures were disclosed by congressional officials briefed on the request and who spoke on condition of anonymity because the announcement had not yet been made.

To date, Congress has already provided more than $455 billion for the Iraq war, with stepped-up military operations running about $10 billion a month. The war has claimed the lives of more than 3,830 members of the U.S. military and more than 73,000 Iraqi civilians.

The White House originally asked for $141.7 billion for the Pentagon to prosecute the Iraq and Afghanistan missions and asked for $5.3 billion more in July. The latest request includes $42.3 billion more for the Pentagon - already revealed in summary last month - and is accompanied by a modified State Department request bringing that agency's total for the 2008 budget year to almost $7 billion.

The State Department is requesting $550 million to combat drug trafficking in Mexico and Central America, $375 million for the West Bank and Gaza and $239 million for diplomatic costs in Iraq.

Top House lawmakers have already announced that they do not plan to act on Bush's request until next year, though they anticipate providing interim funds when completing a separate defense funding bill this fall.

White House deputy press secretary Tony Fratto said the Bush administration hopes that lawmakers who say they want to support the troops will act quickly.

"We want to make sure the troops have what they need, they have the equipment, they have the mine-resistance ambush vehicles, that they're able to replenish their stockpile of arms, get replacement parts for the equipment that they're using," Fratto said. "It's critical for our troops and we want to see Congress act swiftly."

Congress already has approved more than $5 billion for new vehicles whose V-shaped undercarriages provide much better protection against mines and roadside bombs. It's likely that Congress will quickly grant $11 billion more to deliver more than 7,000 of the vehicles.

The delays in submitting the remaining war funding request were in part due to unease among congressional Republicans about receiving it during the veto override battle involving a popular bill reauthorizing a children's health insurance program.

The request also includes $724 million for U.N. peacekeeping efforts in the war-torn Darfur region in Sudan, $106 million in fuel oil or comparable assistance to North Korea as a reward for the rogue nation's promises to cease its efforts to develop nuclear weapons. Another $350 million would go to fight famine in Africa.

Copyright 2007 KABC-TV and The Associated Press (AP). All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
    abc7.com: Bush Wants $46 Billion More for Wars

Yeah, I saw this yesterday. Depressing.

How much is going to Dynacorp?

hey, he just saved himself 25 billion by keeping millions of kids from getting health insurance, so whynot? Spend spend spend!

.. i also see Bush is using soldiers as his little pawn yet again.. "pass this or you hate the troops! nevermind that we dont have a plan and this war has killed 4000 of them for lies, give me more money or you hate the troops!"

countdown to the Defeatocrats rolling over and taking it up the ass on this one in 10.. 9... 321 DONE.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

when he sends his two daughters to Iraq to fight, then i wont bitch (as much) about the war
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

I wish it was November 2008 already!

Quote Originally Posted by Tierra View Post
    I wish it was November 2008 already!
    You and me both. Unfortunately, he'll still be President until January 2009, and then Hillary officially takes over.

Thread Information