Thread: Global warming opportunity

Default Global warming opportunity

Cal Thomas: Global warming opportunity

By Cal Thomas -

Published 12:00 am PDT Tuesday, October 16, 2007
    Story appeared in EDITORIALS section, Page B7
    Print | E-Mail | Comments (11) | Digg it | del.icio.us
    This is a two-part column. Part one is what you might expect from a politically conservative person who believes "global warming" is a secular religion and that Al Gore deserved the Nobel Peace Prize as much as Yasser Arafat, Le Duc Tho and myriad other low-wattage lights, which is to say not at all. The second part may surprise my liberal friends.
    The Church of Global Warming (CGW) is a cult. A cult has a number of definitions, among them this one from dictionary.com: "A religion or sect considered to be false, unorthodox, or extremist, with members often living outside of conventional society under the direction of a charismatic leader."
    Cults wish to control others. Global warming fundamentalists wish to do the same through the power of government. CGW members would reject cult status – which all cult members do – and Gore has never been accused of displaying charisma. But the CGW confers charismatic status on him because he tells them what they want to hear: Salvation is available through the reduction of one's carbon footprint. Gore regularly violates his own doctrines by flying on big polluting jets, leaving tracks the size of Big foorprint
    Cultists never allow contrary evidence to challenge their beliefs.
    Last week, a British judge found nine scientific errors in Gore's film "An Inconvenient Truth" and ordered British schools to mention them and to teach the other side of global warming.
    Like the Pulitzer Prize, which mostly goes to liberals or to economic conservatives who are OK with abortion and same-sex marriage, the Nobel Peace Prize has become a victim of political correctness and a tool for message-sending. In this case (as when the award went to President Carter), the Nobel committee wanted to send a message to President Bush. What will they do when he leaves office? Give it to Bill Clinton?
    People who genuinely labor for peace (read a partial list in the Oct. 13 Wall Street Journal lead editorial) are often ignored by the Nobel committee. Despite evidence from NASA and other scientific sources, which rebut Gore's claims of pending climate disaster, CGW members have the kind of blind faith displayed at a Benny Hinn healing service.
    The leader of the CGW even has a faux "trinity." Instead of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, Gore has an Oscar, an Emmy and a Nobel Peace Prize.
    Having said that (and far more could be said and is being said), conservatives miss an opportunity when they only ridicule Gore and dismiss his ideas. They should be asking themselves whether it might be possible to find common ground with Gore on at least one of his doctrinal issues that would serve nearly everyone's interests. This is where part two begins.
    Republicans and Democrats repeatedly tell us we rely too much on foreign oil, especially oil from a current trouble spot, the Middle East, and from a potential trouble spot, Venezuela. Might it be possible for the CGW crowd and the Church of Free Enterprise (CFE) to come together for the common purpose of reducing our reliance on foreign oil?
    CGW fundamentalists would get what they want – a reduced carbon footprint and supposedly lower global temperatures (go ahead and let them believe it) – while CFE parishioners would rejoice that Saudi Arabia's hold on us (not to mention its use of our money to underwrite terrorism) could be broken.
    If we would launch an energy independence program with the intensity of a Marshall Plan for Europe, or a man-on-the-moon project, to liberate ourselves from the petroleum despots by developing synthetic fuels and finding new energy sources closer to home – especially nuclear power – we could strike a blow against the Islamofascists more damaging than bombs and bullets.
    This will require leadership at the highest level, and it will require a conservative of sufficient stature not to be labeled a compromiser or a fool. Anyone out there who meets the test? And would Al Gore bring his legions with him to the table?
    About the writer:
    • Cal Thomas writes for Tribune Media Services. His column routinely appears in The Bee on Tuesdays and occasionally on other days. Reach him at calthomas@tribune.com.

Unique content, exceptional value. SUBSCRIBE NOW!
    Comments

There are 11 comments posted so far. Below is a sampling of the latest comments.

Opinion - Cal Thomas: Global warming opportunity - sacbee.com

Yes, it's a magical cult that makes seas rise, deserts spread and polar bears drown.

Such is their power.

Fear them.

*eyerolls at more neocon bullcrap*
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Oh you know the polar bears are just suicidal. This is the one topic I was able to make my republitard ex stfu on.

ewww you dated one of ... those?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Totally he's an asshat attorney and he's totally gay for Bush and Perry because he says Perry has such great gubernatorial hair...

I bet he's gay for Molemann too.

I'm never able to understand how Republitards think Bush is so great despite all the overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

How did you get him to explain how Bush is so great when everything is shit? Was he able, or did his brain lock up?

I'm never able to understand how Republitards think Bush is so great despite all the overwhelming evidence to the contrary.
    Because their money and bible clouds the part of the brain that holds common sense. Bush could eat babies while blowing up Mexico with a nuclear bomb on Christmas and repukes would still hail him as "God's President".

Oh and I'd never date a republican, no matter how hot he or she is. ugh

nobody who subscribes that demented outlook is "hot"

This is the same tard that called me from rehab two months ago... The funny thing is I chose to not discuss politics with him but one day he starting running off at the mouth regarding the Kyoto Protocol and I guess I had enough of his shit and I was like "You cannot argue with science! Let's start this with one given and that given is regarding the ozone layer, its chemical makeup and what purpose it serves." He agreed with me on that; I then explained to him the chlorine atom ozone atom chain reaction (stray chlorine atom from broken down cfc's which break up the O3) when he started bitching about "show me some studies" I realized that he had no clue and he just pulls the party line so... we never discussed global warming again.

You would be amazed at how awesome sex can be with someone that you carry a sub conscious hatred for.

Thread Information