Thread: Petraeus admits iraq not making America safer; Bush hides behind the General

Cool Petraeus admits iraq not making America safer; Bush hides behind the General

This is HUGE. HUGE. Petraeus just completely undermined Bush's rationale for the escalation of the Iraq war. Senator John Warner asked a simple question --- and got a very telling and disturbing answer:

Senator Warner: Are you able to say at this time if we continue what you have laid before the congress here,this strategy. do you feel that that is making America safer?

General Petraeus: Sir, I believe this is indeed the best course of action to achieve our objectives in Iraq.

Warner: Does that make America safer?

General Petraeus: Sir I don't know actually. I have not sat down and sorted in my own mind what i have focued on and what I have been riveted on is how to accomplish the mission of the multinational force Iraq.

Hoping to have the video soon. But this is undoubtedly the news of the day.

If the Bush/Petraeus "course of action" is not ultimately making us safer, what the hell are we doing in over there? And, why are Republicans sticking with Bush's plan that doesn't make us safer?

On top of that, VoteVets.org explains how Bush fits into this:

Jon Soltz from VoteVets weighs in on the "stunning admission" from General Petraeus that he doesn't know if Bush's Iraq strategy is making us safer.

This exchange verifies the argument VoteVets.org has been making, that General Petraeus' job is not to take those things into account, and therefore the President is hiding behind General Petraeus.

Let me explain.

General Petraeus was given an order -- find a military solution for Iraq where there is none, and without concern for troop overextension or the larger war on terror. General Petraeus followed his orders, giving the president what he wanted to hear, and now the president will hide behind that to justify his failure as a commander in chief.

General Petraeus has a very limited area of concern -- the US military in Iraq -- and his testimony today reflected that.

When one looks at the grander scale, past just the military in Iraq, the picture is dismal, and becoming a critical danger. From the Government Accountability Office report to Congressional Research Service report to the report by General Jones, it is clear that there has been no political reconciliation overall in Iraq or increased security, despite our military's strongest efforts.

From Admiral Fallon to Admiral Mullen, those above General Petraeus in the chain of command are telling the president that this war is hurting our military and our global security. The president has chosen to ignore all of this, in favor of a report based on a false premise with faulty findings, signed by a General with a very limited scope of concern. Call it denial, or call it stubbornness, or whatever you want; it all boils down to the same thing -- this president still refuses to listen to those he needs to listen to, in favor of those who tell him what he wants to hear.

Unwittingly, General Petraeus just confirmed all of that in the exchange above, today.

AMERICAblog: A great nation deserves the truth
    Any republicans left that think Bush is great?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

The rank-and-file repugs seem to be making some grumblings, but it's all for naught when it gets right down to it.

Bush is going to blunder and bumble and weasel his way into getting them to hold out until March to see what Gen. Betray-Us says then. It's going to be a never ending cycle of carrot dangling.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Sadly you're right, Betray-Us is just a speakerbox. What he says won't matter to Bush. Bush wants to war to last for as long as it can so it can go to the next president.

Silver Member

This makes me so angry. 3700 men and women of ours have died and many innocent Iraqi civilians, for what? We are not safer from another attack, the Middle East hates us, we have lost credibility with other countries. I think Bush is not the sharpest tool in the shed and surrounded by zealots. Wars, for the most part, are about making money. They sell them to the population with talk of freedom and in this case fear tactics. I bet Bush has made a mint. Our men and women who choose to serve in the military deserve better than to be put in situation they cannot win. If we had invested all the money spent in Iraq on stopping terrorism, especially among young radical Muslims, we would be safer. Bush has played right into the hands of the radicals by making America and Americans appear like monsters with this useless war.

Thread Information