Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Must Autistic Teens Register for Selective Service?

Default Must Autistic Teens Register for Selective Service?

This cannot be for real - my son is 13 and no way in hell is the military going to get him. I am researching Canadian immigration.

Must Autistic Teens Register for Selective Service?

Q. Must Autistic Teens Register for Selective Service?
    From Lisa Jo Rudy,

Parents may feel that their son with an autism spectrum diagnosis should be exempt from the American military, and from selective service registration. But it's not that easy.
    A. Unless a young man is institutionalized, homebound, or "in such a physical or mental condition that he would not comprehend the nature of his registration with the Selective Service System," he is required to register with Selective Service. Here is how the military discusses the issue:

Virtually all men must register with Selective Service. The exceptions to this rule are very few and include: nonimmigrant aliens on student, visitor, tourist, or diplomatic visas, men on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces, and cadets and midshipmen in the Service Academies and certain other U.S. military colleges. All other men must register upon reaching age 18 (or before age 26, if entering and taking up residence in the U.S. when already older than 18).

Disabled men, clergymen, and men who believe themselves to be conscientiously opposed to war must register because there is no draft in effect, nor is there a program to classify men at this time. Should the Congress and the President reinstate a draft, a classification program would begin. Registrants would be examined to determine suitability for military service, and they would also have ample time to claim exemptions, deferments, or postponements. To be inducted, men would have to meet the physical, mental, and administrative standards established by the military services. Local Boards would meet in every American community to determine exemptions and deferments for clergymen, ministerial students, and men who file claims for reclassification as conscientious objectors.

The only process now in effect is that men between the ages of 18 and 26 register with Selective Service and keep their registration record current during that period. Neither the Military Selective Service Act nor the Presidential proclamation provide an exemption from registration because of a man's mental or physical condition unless Selective Service is provided with documented evidence that the man is hospitalized or institutionalized, home-bound and unable to function outside the home, with or without physical assistance, or is in such a physical or mental condition that he would not comprehend the nature of his registration with the Selective Service System. A determination is then made by Selective Service as to whether or not the man qualifies for exemption from registration.
    Last edited by Corsair; July 25th, 2007 at 01:34 AM. Reason: adding comment.
    Don't worry about what other people think. They don't do it very often.

wtf?
    what's selective service?
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

A*O

There are degrees of autism from very mild to very severe. That's why it's correct name these days is "Autistic Spectrum Disorder". If a person is at the mild end of the spectrum (eg my daughter) there's absolutely no reason why she can't do military service or any other occupation for that matter. Many autistic people thrive in a very structured, discplined environment with a strict routine, rules and regulations etc so in some ways a military career is ideal. People at the more severe end of the spectrum probably wouldn't be able to cope with life in the military because they often find life in the big wide world a challenge anyway. I think you'd have to assess each case on its merits.

I admit I do get a bit prickly when people clump ALL ASD people together into one big group of drooling retards. Nothing could be further from the truth. Most ASDs are of above average IQ and extremely intelligent. The one thing they find difficult is communicating with other people to a greater or lesser extent.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Selective service? What the hell? You have to involuntarily sign up to be in the military!?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

It's a draft list, essentially.

The real pisser is men must be registered with Selective Service to get any Federal financial aid at all - so forget about getting any student loans if you don't register.

The punishment for failure to register is something like 5 years in prison or a $250,000 fine.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

wtrf country is this for?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

The United States.

Surprised?

Wow.

How long has this been in place?

Off and on since the early part of the 20th century.

Carter brought it back in 1980 and it's been in effect solid since then.

Nice.

Good to know you can be drafted at any time. Sieg Heil.

*thanks Jebus he's in Canada*

A*O

Oh Grimm don't be such a sook. Go and join the Navy! You'd have a ball.
    Dame Edna Everage

I like the fact that the military felt the need to specify that tourists were exempted...

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Oh Grimm don't be such a sook. Go and join the Navy! You'd have a ball.
    Um, our marine helicopters fall out of the sky and our submarines catch fire. No thanks

A*O

Well then be a sailor on, like, you know, a boat? Sailors are HOT.
    Dame Edna Everage

yeah, what do you think the helicopters land on when they fall out of the sky.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information